Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs crowds plunge 9000 in three years

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I'm going this week with a few Dons, and I fully expect to be one of about 500 Dogs fans there.

Our crowds have been really disappointing this season, regardless of who we have played. We have the most fickle supporters in the competition -- yes, our club could do more, but let's not forget that our supporters only ever turn up when we are a good side.
    Let's be honest TBB every club has fickle fans.
    Even every sporting club has, and every club's had issues in this regard.
    Hawthorn mid naughties had 11,000 to a game against Port.
    North would be pushing up daisies now if they had our rubbish history!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    Personally It's the game that is loosing me. Soft rule changes, 3 man interchange with a sub, defenders are barely allowed to defend, the players with the most possessions are gods to the media, Brownlows only go to midfielders, players so unprofessional they can no longer handle sledging cause it puts them off their game etc etc. everyone has their breaking point and I'm getting to mine.
    I don't believe the majority of reasons you have outlined are a contributing factor. If a 3 man IC bench and a sub plus Brownlows going to midfielders is contributing to you being lost to the game then I'm sorry but that is just soft reasons.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    The stat provided is based on whole year attendances vs attendances to date though.

Its a valid point.
    I dont have the figures but I bet the corresponding matches over the past 3 year tell a different story.
    I doubt we got as low as 20K in the last Brisbane game at Etihad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't believe the majority of reasons you have outlined are a contributing factor. If a 3 man IC bench and a sub plus Brownlows going to midfielders is contributing to you being lost to the game then I'm sorry but that is just soft reasons.
    HM's post is still valid.

Not allowing defenders to defend, free kicks for being too rough and political correctness

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    I dont have the figures but I bet the corresponding matches over the past 3 year tell a different story.
    I doubt we got as low as 20K in the last Brisbane game at Etihad.
    I remeber a game at the G, we would have got close to 40,000. That was 4-5 years ago.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I'm going this week with a few Dons, and I fully expect to be one of about 500 Dogs fans there.

Our crowds have been really disappointing this season, regardless of who we have played. We have the most fickle supporters in the competition -- yes, our club could do more, but let's not forget that our supporters only ever turn up when we are a good side.
    I am going this week but only because a mate who I have known for a long time is an Essendon supporter and I only see him a couple of times a year. I am really not looking forward to it if we are going to dish up the same as last weeks effort.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I am going this week but only because a mate who I have known for a long time is an Essendon supporter and I only see him a couple of times a year. I am really not looking forward to it if we are going to dish up the same as last weeks effort.
    I think the perceived "effort" is a big part of it. Who wants to commit an afternoon/evening to watching a match where the Dogs just roll over and get completely belted? Sure, losing in a tight match is damn frustrating, but at least it gives you some hope. The drubbings that we've recently received where only one player (at best) has stood up and kept fighting just leaves you feeling depressed and apathetic. And then the apathy spreads to not even bothering to turn up.

And let's be honest, our supporters wouldn't be amongst the most finanically flush in the league. You've slogged it out all week at a job that you hate, and when your recreation time comes around, what do you want to do? Engage in something that makes you even more angry, frustrated and upset, or spend that money on something that might make your week a little rosier? Unfortunately, the dogs aren't providing that escape for us at the moment.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post

And let's be honest, our supporters wouldn't be amongst the most finanically flush in the league. You've slogged it out all week at a job that you hate, and when your recreation time comes around, what do you want to do? Engage in something that makes you even more angry, frustrated and upset, or spend that money on something that might make your week a little rosier? Unfortunately, the dogs aren't providing that escape for us at the moment.
    Well put D.O.W.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    The stat provided is based on whole year attendances vs attendances to date though.

Its a valid point.
    3000 down from the Brisbane and Saints games last year.
    Yes a load of bollocks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    I think the perceived "effort" is a big part of it. Who wants to commit an afternoon/evening to watching a match where the Dogs just roll over and get completely belted? Sure, losing in a tight match is damn frustrating, but at least it gives you some hope. The drubbings that we've recently received where only one player (at best) has stood up and kept fighting just leaves you feeling depressed and apathetic. And then the apathy spreads to not even bothering to turn up.

Nice post DOTW.

The number one thing for me in terms of losing interest is the lack of fight in the team when things go wrong. They hang their heads and don't chase etc etc. Why spend your leisure time trying to be passionate about a team that shows no passion?

Whilst we are ranting about negatives I am really starting to despise the celebrity nature of the journalists. They think they are the stars of the show. That chap Robinson keeps calling people weak and suggesting they are acting like dogs or doing dog acts if they show any sort of roughness in their game. He seems to think he is the moral arbitrator on all things football. Drives me nuts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Individually they are soft, I'll agree with you there. However for me it is death by a thousand cuts. I'm sure if I had the time I could put up tons of reasons why the game is slipping away from my interest, I just named a few before. Back in the day I use to watch any game I could. When I lived in Melbourne I even use to go to quite a few non Bulldog matches, but now I can barely watch a top 4 game on TV. If the Dogs where ever bumped out of the comp' that would be it for me at an AFL level interest.

The media is a big problem too. As I said 30 cheap possesions will dominate the headlines over 17 hard fought possesions. Brownlow votes are a midfield exclusive. If you compare brownlow votes between players like Boyd to Lake to Morris over the years, the contrast is a joke!