Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs seek more blockbusters

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    Correct but so are most o the others, in this world it's all about timing and. Think we haven't got that right for this one. Also I would say that Carlton would be a better fit with this option.

I wold float the idea so no one else beats us to it, but I would also see much more sense in tagging along with the saints to plan in NZ.

We couldn't nude in a market overseas and even design a ANZAC jumper, we do have the cours to the Australian flag.
    Yes ...nude! a very good option. I know my students would pay to see Will Minson do a streak! Bulldoze the debt indeed
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Why would the AFL waste their time even listening to fixture requests from us? We have form when it comes to taking whatever crumbs the AFL throws at our feet, and we do it with a smile. We are curretly the minnows and the ugly ducklings of the competition, so we will continue to be used to plug all the shitty holes in the AFL's fixture. That means we'll be getting Sunday twilight and Foxtel games up to our eyeballs again in 2013, and frankly we don't deserve anything else with the tripe we've served up most of the season and the rubbish crowds we've attracted.
    So we should roll over and not even try to improve our draw? You would be the first one to whinge that we are not doing enough, are the AFLs bitches etc etc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
    I applaud the request - would love to play vs hawthorn in a west vs east billing.
    The same Hawthorn that we drew 24k to on the weekend? Which was 8k less than the corresponding game last year and a further 8k less than the 2010 match between the two teams?

So we're asking the AFL for 'more blockbusters'? Who with? What exactly are we doing to cultivate any such rivalries? I'm all for proactive sugestions and ideas from our commercial team but simply asking for 'more blockbusters' doesn't cut it. There would be 16 other clubs asking for the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

The same Hawthorn that we drew 24k to on the weekend? Which was 8k less than the corresponding game last year and a further 8k less than the 2010 match between the two teams?

So we're asking the AFL for 'more blockbusters'? Who with? What exactly are we doing to cultivate any such rivalries? I'm all for proactive sugestions and ideas from our commercial team but simply asking for 'more blockbusters' doesn't cut it. There would be 16 other clubs asking for the same thing.
    So we just do nothing and continue as we are I am really surprised about your negativity towards this one
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    So we just do nothing and continue as we are I am really surprised about your negativity towards this one
    I'll second that.

Its refreshing to see the club actually going out and saying 'we want' for once.

Carlton and Richmond were producing rubbish football between them for most of the last 5 years and yet they scored themselves the 'traditional' opening fixture.

Collingwood's form in 1995 and in the 5 or so years that followed was indifferent at best, and they were in an extraordinarily perilous financial position at the time. They got the ANZAC day game handed to them on a platter.

The only vehicle we have to get what we want in these situations is to make noise about it. Prior to the last 2 years we've had great crowds for the 3 or 4 years before that and its landed us SFA from the AFL.

Post Thanks / Like

Financially it would be hard, but I would like us to do some promotional games in the US.

AFL has quite a few teams in the US granted they might be mostly expats and I think they enjoy the physical contest. I think we have the right colours that would appeal to them being they are all gun-ho and patriotic.

Maybe Chicago1 would know more on how this would go.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I hate the AFL's concept of a blockbuster. All it does is cause issues with the fixture and isolate the smaller clubs from the biggest. I'm glad the Club is thinking about how they can get a piece of that pie but much of what Sedat highlighted is bang on.

The AFL doesn't just add blockbuster to a game's title and 30k extra people show up.

Beyond that the Club could cultivate rivalries and extra interest against a handful of clubs we have history with or something to exploit:

Dogs v Dons : battle of the maribyrnong river/ local derby
    Dogs v Blues : 'tragic history' / working class v blue bloods
    Dogs v WCE : sumich choker hold / last game at WO
    Dogs v Hawks : east v west
    Dogs v Roos : survival of the fittest / fight to the death

Best way to make it happen is to call a Club out in the media,pick a fight, create some bad blood. Then come to blows on the field. Then say you're glad we flogged them and punched their heads in. If we are instigating, you don't need to emotionally invest in that stuff in the media so much, it can be a bit of theatre.

Make someone hate us. They'll come to see us because they want to see us get beaten. Those who love us will be there anyway and likely to be more vocal because in defence of the Club.
    Last edited by SonofScray; 19-07-2012 at 11:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I commend the club for trying and not having a loser attitude. Not sure why posters are negative on this.
    I think it is a great initiative by the Club too.Unfortunately with some supporters The Club is continually dammed if they do and dammed if they don't.