Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL crackdown on Judd third-party deal

Wasn't there another farcical element to the Judd deal, something like giving his mum big $$$ for an admin role at the club or something along those lines?

A friend of mine used to work for the Taverner group, who were a group that bought up a lot of pubs mainly in Victoria and SA I believe and sold most to Woolworths/ALH a few years ago. He was telling me that a fairly high up Taverner employee had allegedly told him that when they were looking over the books for the 5 or so pubs they were looking to purchase from Collingwood there were some peculiar irregularities. When they allegedly asked about the huge (100K+) payments to some of the employees that were supposedly working 2 or 3 hours a week, the Collingwood representative said "oh, don't worry about that they are all quitting". The employees were, allegedly of course, wives and girlfriends.

The AFL are going to have to open a can of worms to make sure their process is watertight if they drag the Crows through the ringer. They have three options really:
    1, Walk away quietly like nothing happened and play the "misunderstanding" card
    2, Make a deal with the Crows that ultimately gives them a tap on the wrist but saves them fighting charges and really stirring up the competition wide muck.
    3, Come down hard on the Crows and open Pandoras box.

Personally I hope it is option three, mostly as my gut feel tells me that it is the big clubs with the big connections that would have most to answer for.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting - thanks for that.
    the important thing now is for journalists to act on these tip offs and start naming and shaming the clubs involved.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Interesting - thanks for that.
    the important thing now is for journalists to act on these tip offs and start naming and shaming the clubs involved.
    How do you think this all started? It started with a very good jurno.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Plural. Anyway, took their sweet time didn't they?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    2, Make a deal with the Crows that ultimately gives them a tap on the wrist but saves them fighting charges and really stirring up the competition wide muck.
    Anyone else think that the Crows giving up their first two picks as a gesture of goodwill regarding the Tippett scenario is related to some thing like this? Could be the master plan whereby Adelaide is "punished"and the matter is more easiy resolved.

Really hoping it goes the other way and this gesture of goodwill is all for nothing and the AFL strip them of their first two picks for the next 5 years, meaning Adelaide volunteered to extend their penalty to 6 years.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right