Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: East Meets West Day

I have watched a fair bit of Goodsy playing over the years, and could easily see him slotting into a leadership role among our young/inexperienced back-line. If he can get his fitness up to the levels required, I see no reason why he might not play 2-3 useful seasons.

The other thought that had crossed my mind, and I'm not sure if this is either the right time or place to raise this question, but could he be being groomed for an on-field leadership role with the 2014+ Footscray VFL team?

Who else from our present senior players might be considered for captaincy and on-field coaching roles when the new squad is developed? What about guys like Crossy and Gia etc as their senior time comes to its close?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Can you please explain how the selection of Goodes is inspired? He will be 29 years old next month and yet to be proven at this level?
    Rather than hope and pray for miraculous development from one of the (so far) unimpressive young small/medium defenders, we now have Goodes, Young, possibly Lower and Stevens adding pressure for a spot. I think that we will get two or three servicable years from Goodes, which gives us the opportunity to draft kids to replace Howard, Veszpremi and maybe Wood if they can't deliver. Goodes also provides coverage for Morris and allows Murphy to play up forward.

Goodes should be ready to go and you may not agree, but I've seen Goodes play several times and I think he can make the transition to the AFL (and so too must our Football Department.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I see it differently. He is a rookie and he is there to cover injuries which I think he can do. He will have to earn his spot rather than being gifted games. It will certainly be a positive to have him around our younger guys.

Even if he plays 10 games we will get a far better return than we did for Skinner or Mulligan.

I think there is no risk of having him on the list.
    This is it for me, and shows how stupid some of our recruiting has been

Goodes was, Goodes is, and Goodes will be far better than Skinner, Mulligan, Stack and many others etc ever were - he always has been. I think hes a good footballer, nice kick, tough and a very direct player who sets up play by foot.

I think he's just a bloke thats been a bit unlucky and probably should have got the opportunity a bit earlier - i.e when he was with Nth Ballarat.

Pleased to hear that Macrae is settling in well. Physically he requires a lot of development but its great that Stringer, Macrae, Hrovat and Prudden seem to be making every post a winner, following on from Clay Smith whose attitude and application I love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    This is it for me, and shows how stupid some of our recruiting has been

Goodes was, Goodes is, and Goodes will be far better than Skinner, Mulligan, Stack and many others etc ever were - he always has been. I think hes a good footballer, nice kick, tough and a very direct player who sets up play by foot.

I think he's just a bloke thats been a bit unlucky and probably should have got the opportunity a bit earlier - i.e when he was with Nth Ballarat.

Pleased to hear that Macrae is settling in well. Physically he requires a lot of development but its great that Stringer, Macrae, Hrovat and Prudden seem to be making every post a winner, following on from Clay Smith whose attitude and application I love.
    Hope to meet Brett at the family day. Before he becomes a cult player
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LongWait View Post
    Rather than hope and pray for miraculous development from one of the (so far) unimpressive young small/medium defenders, we now have Goodes, Young, possibly Lower and Stevens adding pressure for a spot. I think that we will get two or three servicable years from Goodes, which gives us the opportunity to draft kids to replace Howard, Veszpremi and maybe Wood if they can't deliver. Goodes also provides coverage for Morris and allows Murphy to play up forward.

Goodes should be ready to go and you may not agree, but I've seen Goodes play several times and I think he can make the transition to the AFL (and so too must our Football Department.)
    Well we certainly disagree on this one. No matter what you or gvgjr, bulldogrevolution or others say, recruiting a 29 year old is not an inspired or smart move, in my opinion.

Good luck to Brett hope he makes it and he will be wearing the bulldogs colours so I will be barracking for him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Well we certainly disagree on this one. No matter what you or gvgjr, bulldogrevolution or others say, recruiting a 29 year old is not an inspired or smart move, in my opinion.

Good luck to Brett hope he makes it and he will be wearing the bulldogs colours so I will be barracking for him.
    While I understand that the Goodes selection is not the normal thing and I do understand why you are challenging it I don't quite grasp why it's such an issue for you.
    You seem to be very focused on what is basically the last spot on the playing list but I can't recall that you were you as passionate about the age of a player when Hahn was being rookied? I can see the difference in circumstances between the two though.

By the way, did I ever actually say that the Goodes selection was an inspired one?

We also have a few other things to consider, especially with a VFL side to develop in the near future, so I can at least see some merit in why we were looking at Goodes.

I also don't doubt that you wish Goodes all the best but if I had to fill the last spot on the list on a choice between the likes of Skinner, Mulligan or Goodes I'd be more than comfortable with the latter.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Agree whole heartedly with your post BAD.
    Sure we could both argue he will not be in the leadership group at our next opening and not see it is contradictory to what has been spruiked.
    He is now a Doggie and I wish him all the best in the Red, White and Blue.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

You've asked others on this board to explain why they think the Goodes selection is the right move, yet you haven't explained why you are so vehemently against it. Can you tell us why the arguments in favour of Goode's selection don't stack up rather than just declare that no matter what others say, you disagree?

Post Thanks / Like

While I understand that the Goodes selection is not the normal thing and I do understand why you are challenging it I don't quite grasp why it's such an issue for you.
    Not an issue for me, just commenting and discussing why he is on our list. [/QUOTE]

You seem to be very focused on what is basically the last spot on the playing list but I can't recall that you were you as passionate about the age of a player when Hahn was being rookied? I can see the difference in circumstances between the two though.
    Hahn was a proven AFL player and gave us great service and was kept on as a back up. Goodes is unknown at this level. Hopefully he will prove me wrong.

By the way, did I ever actually say that the Goodes selection was an inspired one? .
    No you didn't that was Longwait.

I also don't doubt that you wish Goodes all the best but if I had to fill the last spot on the list on a choice between the likes of Skinner, Mulligan or Goodes I'd be more than comfortable with the latter.
    But the choice was Goodes or another young player that we could develop.

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    He is now a Doggie and I wish him all the best in the Red, White and Blue.
    me too

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    You've asked others on this board to explain why they think the Goodes selection is the right move, yet you haven't explained why you are so vehemently against it. Can you tell us why the arguments in favour of Goode's selection don't stack up rather than just declare that no matter what others say, you disagree?
    I have repeatedly said I don't get putting on the list a 29 year old untried AFL level player. I understand GVGjr's reasoning that perhaps we are looking at a role with the VFL side for next year, but if that's true, I don't agree with that either.

If he stays on the rookie list for the year, I can live with that, but if he is promoted ahead of say Jong then I don't get it at all.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: East Meets West Day

If he stays on the rookie list for the year, I can live with that, but if he is promoted ahead of say Jong then I don't get it at all.
    Thankfully we get 2 upgrades this year, so by mid season both can be playing. Goodes is ready to go, so I expect we'll see him first if he does well in NAB Cup. I'm relatively happy for Jong to continue his development at VFL level and all going well being upgraded mid season.

Like you I would've preferred one of our last two picks being a kid but I certainly see the merits of adding another senior body and dedicated trainer.