Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: One third of the season down - who is on borrowed time?

There's a lot of deadwood on the list and it just becomes a process of clearing it out over time. 2 years ago the list was a disaster and it'll probably take another 2 years to try to get out into some order. Retirements mean you can't just delist 10 players who aren't up to it all in one year, otherwise we'll have 10-15 come onto the list from one draft and the quality isn't there to do that.

To go at the end of the year

Definite- Cross, Gia, Veszpremi

Probable- Grant, Howard, Redpath, Austin

Possible- Tutt, Wood, Cordy, Markovic, Jong, Greenwood, Addison.

I'd like us to look at another 2 mature state players

Post Thanks / Like

Would we entertain a trade for Shaun Higgins? Could potentially get in the space of 20-35 for him or a decent player from another side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wimberga View Post
    Would we entertain a trade for Shaun Higgins? Could potentially get in the space of 20-35 for him or a decent player from another side.
    Can't see who would pay anything decent. He's a constantly injured small forward who has never reached his potential. Doesn't strike me as demanding a high draft pick.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Can't see who would pay anything decent. He's a constantly injured small forward who has never reached his potential. Doesn't strike me as demanding a high draft pick.
    I agree with your summation of him as a player but I am sure there has been examples of players with a history of injuries with obvious talent being traded for "reasonable" picks.

As a side note, given your summation, are we going to hold on to him in the hope that he:

1 - finally overcomes what seems to be an endless amount of injuries
    2 - finally meets his potential and becomes a real good player for us.

I'm not against keeping Higgins, but in reviewing our list, where we are at and where we are going, should we review this?

If we don't believe that he can do those things, should we continue to keep him on our list and pay him $200-350k (a guess) per year? Could it be time to cut our losses?

Post Thanks / Like

Trade/Delist: Jarrad Grant, Patrick Veszpremi, Jason Tutt, Christian Howard, Lukas Markovic, Mark Austin.

Retirements: Daniel Giansiracusa, Daniel Cross.

Tom Campbell to be downgraded to the rookie list with Brett Goodes being promoted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cricho54 View Post
    Trade/Delist: Jarrad Grant, Patrick Veszpremi, Jason Tutt, Christian Howard, Lukas Markovic, Mark Austin.

Retirements: Daniel Giansiracusa, Daniel Cross.

Tom Campbell to be downgraded to the rookie list with Brett Goodes being promoted.
    Goodes is already on the senior list. We had one spot open at the start of the season.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    T and T....Lower? Was BOG for us behind Minson last night.

Keep
    Minson
    Griffen
    Dahlhaus
    Liberatore
    Smith
    Murphy
    JJ
    Jones
    Lower
    Stevens
    Young
    And obvious ones like new recruits, Stringer and Macrae.
    Wallis / Smith ( need a lot of work on disposal )

Everyone else under the microscope
    If we got a decent offer for Cooney, I would consider it. Keep only on a reduced salary.
    Shows how desperate I've become about our situation, as he's one of my favorite players.
    You can add Roughead and Goodes to that list. I would perservere with Cooney as he has shown definite patches of form this year. I also believe we need to keep Addison as he is a decent depth player and currently sits in our best 22.

Wood and Williams when not injured would also be in the retain list, however there has to be serious doubts about their ability to stay fit. What are we now heading into Round 8 and Williams has played a couple of games at Willi.

By years end we will probably cut 7 or 8 players - Austin; Howard; Markovich; Grant* ;Vez; Greenwood; Gia (retire);

* Grant - I would really like to see Grant get an extended run in our top team as I still believe he has something to offer. At least he could provide another target in the fwd line - surely he is not that bad that Austin gets selected ahead of him as fwd. But, as others have stated, I think his papers are well and truly marked.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with your summation of him as a player but I am sure there has been examples of players with a history of injuries with obvious talent being traded for "reasonable" picks.
    What did Richmond pay for Chris Knights from Adelaide?
    For mine that's near Higgins' currency.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    What did Richmond pay for Chris Knights from Adelaide?
    For mine that's near Higgins' currency.
    Adelaide got nothing for him. You're a tough judge.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wondering on what basis people are prepared to write off Greenwood?

Is this based on performance/ability? or just the fact that he hasn't cracked it AFL level yet?

Post Thanks / Like

A six pack and a souvenier tea spoon from Telstra Tower Canberra

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Adelaide got nothing for him. You're a tough judge.
    Touche' (didnt realise he was a FA signing )

Post Thanks / Like

A few seasons ago I thought perhaps a Bernie Vince for Shaun Higgins trade could have been worthwhile. Both players have great potential but were struggling at their respective clubs. Shaun has continue to injure himself and I could not see this ever happening anymore but at the time I thought it would have reasonable for both sides.

I am sure that mid tier clubs who are heading towards finals or in their window now like Essendon, Carlton, Richmond, North and maybe even Hawks would entertain their second or third rounder for a player with a history of injury but when fit, can be a very good player. Those teams in those positions can afford to carry him, but I don't think we should and therefore they could be seen to be getting him cheap. I would take anything sub 45 really.

With the money we would save in salary, we could have a real crack at someone like Jeremy Cameron or retaining our good young players

Post Thanks / Like

With the money we would save in salary, we could have a real crack at someone like Jeremy Cameron or retaining our good young players
    GWS would want the Earth for him. Jones + our pick in the top 4 type value - and even then they'd want a sweetener.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Goodes is already on the senior list. We had one spot open at the start of the season.
    He's been elevated for this season only. Technically still a rookie. Would have to elevate him through the draft to have him on the senior list.