Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  21
Page 8 of 54 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pack your bags McCartney...

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't want to argue whether these players are good or not, what I am saying is here are 4 players, currently at other clubs, and part of their best 22 that would fill in the age bracket that we lack. Then people may look at recruitment differently. Yes we made a lot of mistakes and we are now paying for it.
    Hill falls in the age bracket,but honestly he marked his own papers.
    The point I'm making is Hill is playing in a better forward half than ours where more attention is paid to the other big guns.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I agree with this. Port did that with Richardson( even though Hinkley's an experienced assistant)
    Pretty sure Richardson was an assistant at our club some years ago. He left for more money.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dog House View Post
    In the short term WE NEED to recruit a senior 'Head of Football' type position, who McCartney and his merry band of assistants would report directly into (both game day and off the field)...

This person would be charged with helping McCartney develop the following;

Skill development
    Strucutres / Set-up
    On-field strategies
    Tactical movements on gameday
    General assistance and leadership in the coaches box
    I see the potential benefits, but I'm not a fan personally. In my view, if the senior coach needs that level of support, why not just get another one? In my view, those roles are undertaken by the senior coach. If they aren't capable of fulfilling them, they shouldn't be there.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Could we recruit a premiership coach for this role, ala Matthews, Roos or Sheedy. Would having a Eade (Collingwood overseer) work for us like it does the pies?
    I couldn't think of anyone I'd want less than Kevin Sheedy to fulfill such a role.

I'm not sold on the concept, nor am I sold in having it completed by somebody with an extremely large ego, which is a character each of the candidates you've mentioned has.

There's definitely benefits of having somebody steer all of the key football personnel in the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like

If we're looking for someone to support McCartney with match day strategy skills, here's one from left field. Terry Wallace anyone? It's not as if he would be a threat to the coach and match day tactics were his strong point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We currently have Monty as the match day strategist, but is he the right person. I think we could do with a senior assistant to help Macca. I said this from day one in 2012 and I think its still something we need.
    Fair enough but if you're going to make a play for someone like Roos or Matthews. It would be as a senior coach not a senior assistant.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dog House View Post
    In the short term WE NEED to recruit a senior 'Head of Football' type position, who McCartney and his merry band of assistants would report directly into (both game day and off the field)...

This person would be charged with helping McCartney develop the following;

Skill development
    Strucutres / Set-up
    On-field strategies
    Tactical movements on gameday
    General assistance and leadership in the coaches box
    I agree. We need this independent, experienced guiding role.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    If we're looking for someone to support McCartney with match day strategy skills, here's one from left field. Terry Wallace anyone? It's not as if he would be a threat to the coach and match day tactics were his strong point.
    Great suggestion, couldn't see it happening though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I couldn't think of anyone I'd want less than Kevin Sheedy to fulfill such a role.

I'm not sold on the concept, nor am I sold in having it completed by somebody with an extremely large ego, which is a character each of the candidates you've mentioned has.

There's definitely benefits of having somebody steer all of the key football personnel in the right direction.
    I'd consider retiring my membership if we hired Sheedy in this sort of role. Certainly while he was at the club anyway.
    I'm not convinced about the need for someone in the head of football role as described. The coach and football department should be able to accomplish it within the existing structure. If they can't, find people who can.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Anyway, in terms of the title of this thread, while I disagree with the specifics, the squeaky wheel does get oiled. Very intent on writing to the club, expressing my support but strong dismay with our performance.
    If we as members don't do this, then by the time we get to a Melbournish stage, it will be far too late.
    Are we too passive as members? Sometimes I think so.
    The development as a total excuse ( partial is acceptable I guess ) went out the window the moment our senior group failed against the Suns.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking this today. I think the idea certainly has merit, and it could be in part time capacity (match day and one or two days in the preceding week) to allow him to continue his outstanding media work.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Mark Williams is desperate to be a head coach again. While he has a great ability to run people up the wrong way, his record os very very strong, especially when dealing with limited budget and a limited playing group.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I know we are going over old ground, and you've probably mentioned these elsewhere, but what do you see as the 3 biggest stuff-ups the Eade/ Fantasia combo made with regard to list management?
    In no order, the retention of Hahn as a rookie, the contract extension of Mulligan, the additional year to Akermanis without the media controls. I could add the floating of Everitt and Hill as trades one year only to maintain them and trade the following year. Eagleton was on the list at least one year too long but more likely 2.

From memory I had a list of about 8 decisions I challenged and I'll have a dig around for them.

I think there was a number of short term decisions (because of our finals campaigns) that we are paying for now. You would be aware that I also challenged why we took only the minimum of 3 players in 2008 and expressed it was a decision we would pay for at a later stage.
    I remain convinced it has hurt us for the last 2 years.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Why would you want Wallace back seriously when he has already walked out on the Club before. Have you forgotten that club leaders in Chris Grant and Luke Darcy made a deputation to David Smorgon at the time that they didn't want him coaching the team in the last game of the season. We have short memories.

Post Thanks / Like

One positive thing is that our recruiting this year has been spot on - Macrae, Stringer, Hrovat and Prudden seem to be smart players who use the ball well. And grabbing Hunter in the middle of the draft is starting to look as lucky as getting Libba around the same mark.