Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Years of struggle for Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    I also think some blame must be put onto David Smorgon, we could all see what was happening and he was the leader of the club.
    100% agree. His last few seasons at the helm were poor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    No we are not... They are a long way ahead of us and if there list stays together they are going to be awful hard to catch.
    I know they have a bigger salary cap but that's still a pretty big “if”, Mantis. Having said that, I do think they'll enjoy a few years of being ahead of the pack.

Large number??

The only players not listed who would be exceeding expectations would be JJ & Young.
    That makes 9 players — half the match day team. If we have another few years of drafting, say we get 2-4 good ones each ND/rookie draft, in 3 years' time we'll have 6-12 to add to that 9. That's not counting current strugglers who may find their feet or free-agency/trade pickups.

Going to be a long 3 years... Let's hope we have the right people & players in place because it's going to be bloody disappointing if we have to go along for a tough ride only to be in no better position when the job is done.
    This is it for me. Happy to be patient but when the time is up, better deliver, boys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    100% agree. His last few seasons at the helm were poor.
    Smorgon presided over 5 Pre-lim finals during his time as President. It is very doubtful whether our 30 million dollar facility at the Western Oval would have been achieved without him at the helm. He helped bring respect to our Club from the AFL and his peers from other clubs. Being a Club President in particular at the WB is a thankless task. Peter Gordon was pleased to hand over the reins to David Smorgon after 7 years.
    Smorgon was willing to give us 16 years of good leadership, which was exceptional.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Unfortunately the longer the rebuild takes more members will drop off. This is a huge problem as our Club cannot afford our membership base to diminish.
    I bet they havent

If we only win 0,1 or 2 more matches by the end of this year, there will be no choice other than to make massive changes.

Otherwise, membership numbers will drop in droves, retaining members will reduce categories, Corporate sponsors will blame the tough economic climate and reduce sponsorship, When is Mission's contract up?we will get all the shitty timeslots again (no friday nights, Mothers day, etc) , "stadium negotiations will be laughed at.
    Recruiting good players from other clubs wont be an option, players will want to leave.