Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Old Fashioned Rev Up

For those who haven't seen it, I recommend having a look at the below snapshot from AFL 360 where the question is asked - Are the dogs making progress?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-...2#.UZyA1LUwom0

Whilst the analysis is not incredibly deep, I thought the montage at the beginning was quite good.

Do you think there is any value in showing the playing group that beginning montage before this weeks game in an attempt to say "look no-one rates us right now, this is bullshit. Lets go and show them what kind of progress we have made"?.

What are your thoughts on a good old fashioned rev up to try and get the boys to stick it up the media and play well? IMO, the whole backs to the wall attitude can be very motivating.
    Last edited by wimberga; 22-05-2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old Fashioned Rev Up

Long overdue IMO. Sure, the game has changed, but the "softly,softly" approach clearly isn't working/hasn't worked. The point about the senior players is a good one - we're not simply a team full of teenagers.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for posting this.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Our senior players aren't that good anymore, apart from Griffen, Minson, Murphy and Cooney (the latter are a touch inconsistent so far this year) they're for the most part ineffective even if they kick the odd goal and gain a bit of the ball.

It's amazing that we have people staggered we're as bad as Melbourne, even though we're bottoming out after 2.5 bad years, while Melbourne are still a *!*!*!*!ing basket case after almost seven years of rebuilding!

Whilst I know we're shit, that sort of commentary is nothing less than an absolute indictment on how bad Melbourne have been managed.

Yes we need polish, yes we need a tall defender and a tall forward, but to put Smith in the same category as Markovic just showed how bloody lazy this type of analysis is!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, as for the OP - I can't see any harm in showing this to the players.

Post Thanks / Like

Take out one ( Griffen ) or two players and we would be about as bad as Melbourne.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Take out one ( Griffen ) or two players and we would be about as bad as Melbourne.
    I think you'll find we're already there. Results speak for themselves.

Whilst I understand we've shown ourselves to be more competitive for spurts in games than what teams like Melbourne have been in recent times, we're just as bad if not worse than all of them when it comes to winning games for a time that almost spans a season.

The initial shock is hard to take, and we're going through it right now. There's still plenty more bad times to come.

As I said above, the horrible thing for Melbourne is they've been this bad for seven years. We can't afford to make the same mistakes with our list management and player development they have. It will kill us.

Post Thanks / Like

Will be interesting to see how much heart our supporters have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Will be interesting to see how much heart our supporters have.
    Some will keep it up, others won't.

I'll be honest, I pretty much forgot about the Bulldogs between 2002 and 2004. I relinquished my membership and didn't pay them any attention. Basically I found electronic music and good times as that was my vice at that stage when my friends and I were young and always willing to punch air. I was playing football and hating it, and couldn't give anything apart from TV interest to the Bulldogs at the time.

As a result of that, I can completely understand why some supporters, ex-members and anyone else that falls in between might fall away right now. Like me at that time, they're coming off the back of riding a reasonably successful wave, and might not be able to keep going back to the well. That's why it's just so important the club shows it's willing to engage fans in different ways through selling the positives of the club, and starts to show something on field sooner rather than later.

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough. I like to think I'm a pretty forgiving supporter. I enjoy going, even if we get beaten, as long as we are competitive. Not sure I would waste my money if I was a Melbourne supporter. After all, it's a business and people are being paid to do a job. If I don't think they're doing their due best and are irresponsible about the way they go about things, then I'll stop going to games for a while. Why should I?

When Eade came to the club he said he had never been to a club that had such low self esteem. I trusted him because he got us so far, but also he had senior experience. It will take some time for the new coach to win that trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Can we get Terry Wheeler in to give the boys a rev up?

Post Thanks / Like

Lets all get to teh game this weekend and give them a rev up!

Imagine we had 30,000 dogs supporters at the game this weekend at full song!
    [B]I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. [/B]