Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clubs circle Bulldogs star Cooney

If Cooney leaves it will be total mismanagement by the club. We have very few players in the 24 to 28 year bracket, we can ill afford to lose another

We will see how this pans out.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If Cooney leaves it will be total mismanagement by the club. We have very few players in the 24 to 28 year bracket, we can ill afford to lose another

By mismanagement, do you mean to to say we should pay overs to keep him so he can coast through another year on big bucks, purely to have a tick in the 24-28 bracket?

Or are you referring to the fact that if we lose him it's because we didn't treat such a champion with the respect he deserved, playing him in the back line and all?

Just because we're not going to kiss him on the knob doesn't mean its mismanagement. Maybe Adam is loyal to the folding stuff and nothing else?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion the Club should offer Coons an amount that they think he is worth on a two year contract max. If another Club offers more well so be it. Not worth paying way overs especially with a player with chronic knee problems.

Post Thanks / Like

We are talking about someone who is way past his best. Unfortunately injuries have caught up with Adam who is only a shadow of his Brownlow best. Compare the difference in output now between Griffen and Cooney who are now poles apart in ability at this stage of their careers.
    Cooney's best value to the club was his speed to break from the midfield but this rarely occurs now.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes we should pay Adam 600 large and pray the knee comes good .
    Honestly mate

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but I just can't agree with that.

I'm sure the club will offer Cooney what it believes is a fair sum of money and fair contract terms. It is prudent from a list management perspective to offer him a reduced salary package - his form is not what it was, he has issues staying on the park and these issues are only likely to increase the older he gets, and more degenerative his knee becomes. Those are the facts.

I'd happily offer Cooney a fair contract in financial terms, one which includes incentives for his performance and ability to stay on the park. Perhaps it could be structured that he gets increases in dollars at certain intervals (play 15 games, get a %increase in salary, play 20 and get a bigger %increase). It could also be structured to reward him if he finishes highly in the B&F. There could also be a clause that if he reaches certain performance metrics he gets another contract presented to him and can extend his term by another year.

Adam has been a great player for the club and should be treated with respect, but there has to be good faith shown by both parties. Adam has performed well below what we would have liked for a few years, but has been taking home probably more money than anyone else. I'd hate to be in a work environment where I was significantly outperforming someone else but knew they were getting significantly more money than I was.

Depending on how active we are in the FA player market, it's likely we'll still be able to offer him a pretty damn good deal - but he and his management need to have the reality buttons pushed because if they're hoping for a long term, big dollar contract, I just can't see it happening. If it does, then that would be serious mismanagement by the club.

We also can't expect every player to be like Griff and play for less money than perhaps they'd get elsewhere, because at the end of the day, this is Adam's profession, he has a very short shelf life left in the game and he needs to maximise his earning potential. If he can get a longer term offer for a greater amount elsewhere, it makes commercial sense for him to leave. The game has already well and truly moved that way and there isn't much we can do as a club other than put our best offer forward and leave it to the player and manager to decide if they are agreeable to those terms, or if they believe his best opportunities lie elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

You know bugger all. believe what you will.

If you are happy to lose a brownlow medallist who can help our young team develop, fine that is your choice.
    You know nothing, Jon Snow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Every player reaches a point in their career where they have to put their personal wants aside for the long term benefit of the club, Adam's time has come sooner than many others but that's life. Players like West had to make sacrifices to assist Cooney's development and now it's his turn. If he wants to sulk through the year and then go chasing big bucks at a contender elsewhere rather than paying back then that says a lot about him as a person. Lake too for that matter.

The fact that we aren't just going to cop that tells me we're finally starting to develop a bit of character.
    Amen brother.
    Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    By mismanagement, do you mean to to say we should pay overs to keep him so he can coast through another year on big bucks, purely to have a tick in the 24-28 bracket?

Or are you referring to the fact that if we lose him it's because we didn't treat such a champion with the respect he deserved, playing him in the back line and all?

Just because we're not going to kiss him on the knob doesn't mean its mismanagement. Maybe Adam is loyal to the folding stuff and nothing else?
    These are all rational, reasonable and intelligent responses to what is basically an emotional argument. He is certainly playing like the dotted line has a scribble over it. He may have a Brownlow, but he'll never come close to another.

If he wants to go, we need to support him. Show players we'll back them and help them but won't put an individual over the team.

Think of it this way: if we pay him overs just to keep him, what do we do in a few years' time when we have our young guns flying, and attracting offers, but we don't have the cap space to keep them because we forked out for what was basically a face-saving, emotional decision?

Post Thanks / Like

You know bugger all. believe what you will.

If you are happy to lose a brownlow medallist who can help our young team develop, fine that is your choice.
    TBH I don't think that is the case at all. Cooney has never struck me as anything even close to being a leader. I don't think he's professional or a good example to the young players at the club.

He is playing like a man totally disinterested at the moment, and is a shadow of his former self. I'm not sure that we should expend too much energy, or salary cap space, more importantly, on a bloke that doesn't want to be here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post

I'm sure the club will offer Cooney what it believes is a fair sum of money and fair contract terms. It is prudent from a list management perspective to offer him a reduced salary package - his form is not what it was, he has issues staying on the park and these issues are only likely to increase the older he gets, and more degenerative his knee becomes. Those are the facts.

I'd happily offer Cooney a fair contract in financial terms, one which includes incentives for his performance and ability to stay on the park. Perhaps it could be structured that he gets increases in dollars at certain intervals (play 15 games, get a %increase in salary, play 20 and get a bigger %increase). It could also be structured to reward him if he finishes highly in the B&F. There could also be a clause that if he reaches certain performance metrics he gets another contract presented to him and can extend his term by another year.

Adam has been a great player for the club and should be treated with respect, but there has to be good faith shown by both parties. Adam has performed well below what we would have liked for a few years, but has been taking home probably more money than anyone else. I'd hate to be in a work environment where I was significantly outperforming someone else but knew they were getting significantly more money than I was.

Depending on how active we are in the FA player market, it's likely we'll still be able to offer him a pretty damn good deal - but he and his management need to have the reality buttons pushed because if they're hoping for a long term, big dollar contract, I just can't see it happening. If it does, then that would be serious mismanagement by the club.

We also can't expect every player to be like Griff and play for less money than perhaps they'd get elsewhere, because at the end of the day, this is Adam's profession, he has a very short shelf life left in the game and he needs to maximise his earning potential. If he can get a longer term offer for a greater amount elsewhere, it makes commercial sense for him to leave. The game has already well and truly moved that way and there isn't much we can do as a club other than put our best offer forward and leave it to the player and manager to decide if they are agreeable to those terms, or if they believe his best opportunities lie elsewhere.
    Well said and I agree completely. I would love Coon's to be a 1 club player, but at the end of the day it has to be win win for both parties. Its not about loyalty, but a question of give and take.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Yes we should pay Adam 600 large and pray the knee comes good .
    Honestly mate
    Where the *!*!*!*! did I say we pay him overs.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post

He is playing like a man totally disinterested at the moment, and is a shadow of his former self. I'm not sure that we should expend too much energy, or salary cap space, more importantly, on a bloke that doesn't want to be here.
    How do we know this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post

Excellent post.

Post Thanks / Like

Where the *!*!*!*! did I say we pay him overs.
    So, let's say we offer him $350K and a 1 year deal, given his injury history. Another club offers him $450K. He comes back to us and says match it or I walk.

Do you think he's worth whatever it takes to keep him at the Bulldogs? In the above scenario, anything other than us offering $100K more than we really want to is an example of mismanagement according to you.

If Cooney leaves it will be total mismanagement by the club.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

So, let's say we offer him $350K and a 1 year deal, given his injury history. Another club offers him $450K. He comes back to us and says match it or I walk.

Do you think he's worth whatever it takes to keep him at the Bulldogs? In the above scenario, anything other than us offering $100K more than we really want to is an example of mismanagement according to you.
    Comrade there truly is more to life than just money. List management at any club is vital and doesn't always involve mega bucks. The good clubs keep their good players by looking after their players. example, we could have kept Harbrow and Ward if we had of managed the situation better.

Maybe Cooney is different due to his injury, we wanted to see how he goes and we let his contract reach this stage.

You not what I think? There is something going on at the club, and Cooney looks dejected over the past few weeks. According to another thread, he looked down today at the Skins Day. Something is wrong here, gut feel is he has been told he won't be at the club next year - and that is gut feel only.

Over the season, yes he is not playing Brownlow footy, but he is showing glimpse of his old self, and averaging over 20 disposals a game and kicking a few goals (when he gets a chance). We don't have many players at his development level. If he can play like this for two more years, then the likes of Macrae/Hrovat will take over, but in the meantime we need him (and not in the backline).

I don't buy the money thing - but when it comes down to it and the club is showing no interest in him and another offer comes, then he will take.

Post Thanks / Like

How do we know this?
    We don't, but the warning signs are there, and it seems they were on show at the kids clinic today.