Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  33
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who's the best-paid Dog?

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Are you talking about Boyd's salary? We would have paid that much and then some to retain all of Griffen, Cooney and Higgins and still finished around 14th at best.

We have a bloke on our list now who is the standout player of his age group, has another 12+ years left in the game and addresses a glaring hole on our list. If he continues to develop and improve from his elite U18 level he will actually end up being a bargain for us.

Cameron's next contract will make Boyd's look like chicken feed.
    I guess I just worry about what happens if he doesn't come on as expected or ends up another Gumbleton.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I guess I just worry about what happens if he doesn't come on as expected or ends up another Gumbleton.
    Then we are rooted. But at least we died trying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Then we are rooted. But at least we died trying.
    Exactly.

We haven't played in a GF for over 50 years - what's the worst that can happen? We lose player(s) and don't make a Grand Final? That's been happening for years already anyway.
    W00F!

4. Likes Flamethrower, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Exactly.

We haven't played in a GF for over 50 years - what's the worst that can happen? We lose player(s) and don't make a Grand Final? That's been happening for years already anyway.
    Too right. I don't have an issue with the trade. Sure we probably paid overs considering we lost our captain and best player, but at the end of the day he was going to leave and we had to make the most of the situation.

Post Thanks / Like

What should get spoken about is Griffen getting 1.5 when he is 32 !
    No wonder he wanted the " quiet life"
    What's the relevance of our clubs finances and the salary cap?
    Club starts trending up, players tend to stay . I would have liked another pick coming our way, but the deal is done .
    The story's been done to death to be honest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Gee chef talk about killjoy

Post Thanks / Like

We did overpay for Boyd. No debate there. However:

Overpaying on the day and making a poor investment are two separate things.
    Secondly, the club were caught on the back foot. It's not like they had a year to scheme and manouvre.

On balance, I'll take it and try to focus on the abundant upside, because I remember sulking after Rd 22, thinking how unfair it was that GWS had a prodigy like Boyd. He has everything and could be anything. It might've been a fluke, but he's a great, great kid.

It'll just be interesting to gauge how good the careers of the eventual picks 4 & 6 will be... Because that's the real opportunity cost. Griffen's wages in 2015 are irrelevant for me. Paying his wages next year is just common sense. The alternative would be overpaying mediocre blokes to make up the required 95% like Melbourne have in recent years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Gee chef talk about killjoy
    Just being realistic mate, I dont mean to burst anyone's bubble.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I view it that we are giving GWS some of the money that the league give us. I also believe Boyd will help sell the club via membership etc which will offset some of the costs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Also according to the article Griffens on over a mil until 2018!
    I read it as $1.5m over 3 years, or $500k per year after next year
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

12. Likes Axe Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    I read it as $1.5m over 3 years, or $500k per year after next year
    Thats how I read it too.

Post Thanks / Like

We didn't overpay. Overpaying would have been winning the bidding war against St Kilda and Carlton next year who would have been more than happy to do the deal we did.

We got exclusive access to Boyd through being the only ones with the trade bait both players & picks and the salary cap room to do the deal once Tom Boyd was on the market.

The deal done if Boyd waited until the end of 2015 to leave would have left this one for dead. A Key Forward, number 1 draft pick, best player in TAC Cup history does not grow on trees.

Franklin got $10m over 9 years if he plays until age 36. If he retires at 33, that's $1.7m per year for the last years of his career, not his prime.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

15. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good post webby . The whole pick 4 was media speculation though.
    They held the trump card of Griffen threatening to quit on the spot , and I'd imagine they would have offered pick 7( the jakschpick)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    We didn't overpay. Overpaying would have been winning the bidding war against St Kilda and Carlton next year who would have been more than happy to do the deal we did.

We got exclusive access to Boyd through being the only ones with the trade bait both players & picks and the salary cap room to do the deal once Tom Boyd was on the market.

The deal done if Boyd waited until the end of 2015 to leave would have left this one for dead. A Key Forward, number 1 draft pick, best player in TAC Cup history does not grow on trees.

Franklin got $10m over 9 years if he plays until age 36. If he retires at 33, that's $1.7m per year for the last years of his career, not his prime.
    Wait until Cameron comes on the market!!
    It would have been a feeding frenzy in 12 months time.

18. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    I view it that we are giving GWS some of the money that the league give us. I also believe Boyd will help sell the club via membership etc which will offset some of the costs.
    That's what doesn't get reported . If Tom becomes an a-grade power forward the exposure, the marketing and merchandise aspect will be astronomical for the club .Thats a little to glass half full for the likes of Pierik, Nail , Caro and Robbo to consider.

20. Likes N/A liked this post