Thanks Thanks:  200
Likes Likes:  159
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Career Best Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Our debuts this season have mainly been under 21 except Hamling who found it difficult in a strong Geelong team.
    Hammers was about 43kgs wringing wet when drafted so no surprise he took longer.
    Geelong did us a service by doing the hard yards with him on their list, now we reap the rewards
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    That mean if I mention Jarrad Grant next week 51 times, that's a new career best right? But I just mentioned Jarrad Grant that sentence, so 52 next week? But I just mentioned JARRAD GRANT again, so 53 next week....
    I've been on the JG bandwagon with you from the outset. When he kicked 6 against the Bombers all those years ago I was sold.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I've been on the JG bandwagon with you from the outset. When he kicked 6 against the Bombers all those years ago I was sold.
    It's been a tough bandwagon, but now is the time for everyone to get behind him. If his confidence can get him to believe he's a very player, then he will rise to his talent ceiling which is very high. That confidence comes from coaches and media, but also us mug punters to invest in him, to support his form and embrace his new role.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

It's been a tough bandwagon, but now is the time for everyone to get behind him. If his confidence can get him to believe he's a very player, then he will rise to his talent ceiling which is very high. That confidence comes from coaches and media, but also us mug punters to invest in him, to support his form and embrace his new role.
    Serious question, do you actually know him?

I think you're bang on, I watched Ask A Bulldog this week and he seemed really sheepish, unsure of himself, what to say and what the reaction might be
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Serious question, do you actually know him?

I think you're bang on, I watched Ask A Bulldog this week and he seemed really sheepish, unsure of himself, what to say and what the reaction might be
    Fair question, but no. Never even met him, although that would be nice. From all my bits and pieces, I think confidence has been his issue not his frame. When you're not confident you can cut corners, or fail to have effort at 100%. When he started to string some games late 2013 I thought he found it, but injuries ruined his 2014. He is starting to believe and I vividly remember Bobby saying when he realises that not only is he good enough, but when he realises his talent with effort and confidence we will see a very good player. To be fair to my critics I liked Tim Walsh a lot. I think it's time to back him with a contract now. In lieu of pay for performance, I'd offer an extra year for performance. I just hope the wider fan base understand the benefit of backing him and the benefit to him, our side, our club and thus our game day experience.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

When you're not confident you can cut corners, or fail to have effort at 100%.
    Well you don't want the ball full stop because you're worried you'll screw up

I think you're on to something, and it's an area where all the discussion on here could actually convert to a positive influence on the team. Let's all get behind him and see if we can't help him believe in himself

We've got an open training session here at 10 o'clock tomorrow, I'll see if I can't head down for a bit and give him a slap on the back
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

8. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Well you don't want the ball full stop because you're worried you'll screw up

I think you're on to something, and it's an area where all the discussion on here could actually convert to a positive influence on the team. Let's all get behind him and see if we can't help him believe in himself

We've got an open training session here at 10 o'clock tomorrow, I'll see if I can't head down for a bit and give him a slap on the back
    Awesome. I hope we all follow your lead. Just take the last two weeks as an illustration of our point. He played a good game two weeks ago but had some criticism that he should've taken shots on the run and not given off. Last week he could've dished off but ran passed 50 and kicked a nice goal which seemed to propel his quarter. We should all see he's been doing what we and the coaches want from week to week. He has zero confidence in his set shots and you could see on the weekend his eyes were darting around when he was on the ground. Zero confidence in set shots breeds zero confidence in set shots, just ask Cloke. But confidence also breeds confidence, love your work boydogs.

Post Thanks / Like

I made it down about 10:30. It was mostly goalkicking practice, and very accurate. Wallis, Bonts and Picken did mostly handball drills. Minson took a lot of shots close to goal on an angle, away from the rest of the group. Murphy & T Boyd were there but didn't train. Everyone else seemed to be there including Hamilton. Quite a light session with a lot of fun mixed in - soccer tricks, banter, assistant coaches chasing each other around

I didn't get to talk to Granty, but I got some pictures. Sorry if this is the wrong thread

Formerly gogriff

11. Thanks bulldogtragic, bornadog, GVGjr, 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Hammers was about 43kgs wringing wet when drafted so no surprise he took longer.
    Geelong did us a service by doing the hard yards with him on their list, now we reap the rewards
    We certainly seemed keen during the trade period etc to add younger players who had been in the system for a while but didn't get a lot of opportunities. For a club like ours with a developing list adding players Biggs, Hamling and even our own Redpath and Jong seemed to be a theme we were wanting to follow.
    I wonder what price you can put on getting players with 2 or 3 years of development from another club?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

It's a real bonus that Hamling has already had that development. He has stepped up to AFL level and adjusted to the tempo. A change of scenery and an opportunity to play must feel good after three years.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It's a real bonus that Hamling has already had that development. He has stepped up to AFL level and adjusted to the tempo. A change of scenery and an opportunity to play must feel good after three years.
    At the time we drafted him I think we believed he still need another season of VFL footy with just a few games in the seniors thrown in. If he bounces back quickly from this injury I think he could easily play 10 senior games by the seasons end and set himself up nicely for the 2016 season as part of the men's department.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    At the time we drafted him I think we believed he still need another season of VFL footy with just a few games in the seniors thrown in. If he bounces back quickly from this injury I think he could easily play 10 senior games by the seasons end and set himself up nicely for the 2016 season as part of the men's department.
    As MJP said when we drafted him, he has been in the Geelong System, so we will benefit in years to come.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Luke Dahlhaus - Most Disposals - Vs Geelong 18 July 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Lachlan Hunter - Most Touches, 32 - Vs Collingwood 26/07/2015
    Shane Biggs - Most Touches, 28 - Vs Collingwood 26/07/2015

Post Thanks / Like

Liam Picken - Most Disposals, 36 - Vs Gold Coast, 2015