Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  10
    Post Thanks / Like

Event - Legends and Young Guns - 30 July 2015

From East West Club -

The guest list for the East-West Club’s annual “Legends & Young Guns” dinner has been finalised, bringing a star-studded array of Bulldog Champions, on and off the field, to entertain guests. At still only $70 per person (Children $30) , the dinner represents the
    best value on the Bulldogs' calendar for supporters and their friends.

The Legends : Ross Abbey Mick Egan Chris Grant

The Young Guns : Tom Boyd Joel Hamling Jordan Kelly

The Bulldogs : Peter Gordon Graham Lowe Luke Beveridge Jason McCartney

Mulgrave Country Club Thursday 30th July 2015 7 pm

Booking details are advised on the attached form and can be made by mail, phone or email “

Please ring Rhonda Caulfield 9725 4616 if booking by phone.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Event - Legends and Young Guns - 30 July 2015

I heard a whisper at yesterday's VFL game that the new CEO is going to be attending in an unofficial capacity.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    I heard a whisper at yesterday's VFL game that the new CEO is going to be attending in an unofficial capacity.
    Massive get apparently , he would be impressed coming into this club at the right time.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't go but for any woofers that did was it a good night out?
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Packed house last night....that's what happens when you're having a good season.

Broken into three parts;
    1. Footy department: Bevo, Lowe & McCartney
    2. Young guns: T Boyd, Hamling, Kelly and Bailey Dale
    3. Legends: Chris Grant, Mick Egan, Ross Abbey

Really old demographic in the audience.....I'd really like to know what our supporter age demographic is compared to other clubs....I'm tipping we over-index on the 60+.

As always really well MC'd by Kevin Hillier although he lapsed at times into some very obvious and well trotted out questions. Actually asked Chris Grant how close he came to accepting Port Adelaide offer. I almost heard Granty sigh before he provided a brief and polite answer. Class act.

Of the footy department, Bevo spoke well but nothing enlightening. Lowe was pretty bland and McCartney was the most interesting as he spoke of the club's philosophy on the list building......best talent, don't reach to fill a position, trade and free agency to achieve positional needs.

Of the young players they all spoke well but Hamling was the stand-out. Country boy, laid back, no BS.....kept calling Hillier "mate". Great character.

The legends were great although my family were too young to know who Abbey and Egan were. Abbey was a favourite of mine when I was young so it was good to see him. A real gentleman. Egan is a knockabout bloke who was desperate to tell a funny story about Doug Hawkins, Doug's favourite shampoo, and Egan's urine. You can work it out.
    Chris Grant always speaks well and the warmth in the room towards him was palpable. All three legends are really proud Bulldogs and are delighted with the direction of the club.

The new CEO David Stevenson was in attendance having just flown in from the USA last Friday. Spoke briefly about why he was keen to join the club......which related to our engagement with our community.

Two icons of the club were in the audience and received generous applause....Irene Chatfield and John Shultz. With the passing of EJ and Charlie Sutton, it is clear that John Schultz is the public face of the old Footscray FC. Such a gentleman who loves our club. Watched him win a raffle prize (framed player photo) and walk up to a young supporter and hand it to him after autographing it.....and received a hug from the young bloke in response. Nice moment done privately without any grandstanding.

It's an enjoyable night where you join long standing loyal dog supporters from the east who all have a connection to the club, either through having previously lived in the west, family that originated in the west, or some other random reason.......like the old bloke at my table who had come down from Benalla for the function. As a child he had travelled on the train with his parents and noticed the Footscray station sign. Not long after he was watching the footy replay on TV and Footscray was on. He made the connection with the station he had travelled past and bang.....Footscray was his team.

So an enjoyable night....although the raffle prizes were seriously dodgy and the standard of the meal even more so. Well done to the East West coterie for organising the function, well done to the club representatives for giving up their time to support it, and well done to everyone for raising $10k from the night and handing it straight over to the club.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report AR much appreciated.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Packed house last night....that's what happens when you're having a good season.

Broken into three parts;

Really old demographic in the audience.....I'd really like to know what our supporter age demographic is compared to other clubs....I'm tipping we over-index on the 60+.

As always really well MC'd by Kevin Hillier although he lapsed at times into some very obvious and well trotted out questions. Actually asked Chris Grant how close he came to accepting Port Adelaide offer. I almost heard Granty sigh before he provided a brief and polite answer. Class act.

Of the footy department, Bevo spoke well but nothing enlightening. Lowe was pretty bland and McCartney was the most interesting as he spoke of the club's philosophy on the list building......best talent, don't reach to fill a position, trade and free agency to achieve positional needs.

Of the young players they all spoke well but Hamling was the stand-out. Country boy, laid back, no BS.....kept calling Hillier "mate". Great character.

The legends were great although my family were too young to know who Abbey and Egan were. Abbey was a favourite of mine when I was young so it was good to see him. A real gentleman. Egan is a knockabout bloke who was desperate to tell a funny story about Doug Hawkins, Doug's favourite shampoo, and Egan's urine. You can work it out.
    Chris Grant always speaks well and the warmth in the room towards him was palpable. All three legends are really proud Bulldogs and are delighted with the direction of the club.

The new CEO David Stevenson was in attendance having just flown in from the USA last Friday. Spoke briefly about why he was keen to join the club......which related to our engagement with our community.

Two icons of the club were in the audience and received generous applause....Irene Chatfield and John Shultz. With the passing of EJ and Charlie Sutton, it is clear that John Schultz is the public face of the old Footscray FC. Such a gentleman who loves our club. Watched him win a raffle prize (framed player photo) and walk up to a young supporter and hand it to him after autographing it.....and received a hug from the young bloke in response. Nice moment done privately without any grandstanding.

It's an enjoyable night where you join long standing loyal dog supporters from the east who all have a connection to the club, either through having previously lived in the west, family that originated in the west, or some other random reason.......like the old bloke at my table who had come down from Benalla for the function. As a child he had travelled on the train with his parents and noticed the Footscray station sign. Not long after he was watching the footy replay on TV and Footscray was on. He made the connection with the station he had travelled past and bang.....Footscray was his team.

So an enjoyable night....although the raffle prizes were seriously dodgy and the standard of the meal even more so. Well done to the East West coterie for organising the function, well done to the club representatives for giving up their time to support it, and well done to everyone for raising $10k from the night and handing it straight over to the club.
    This was a great night and well done to all involved with the East West Club. Michael Egan one of the Legends on the night is Assistant Coach to Scott Wynd at Assumption College where Josh Prudden was recruited. I was able to meet the new CEO, David Stevenson, who is most impressive and commences his duties on Monday. Spoke also to Jason McCartney who indicated that there will be very little rucking talent coming in the next draft. McCartney spoke highly of Tom Campbell. There was a great feeling in the 260 plus audience of fanatical WB people who have been buoyed by the tremendous on field efforts this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post

Broken into three parts;

This was a great night and well done to all involved with the East West Club. Michael Egan one of the Legends on the night is Assistant Coach to Scott Wynd at Assumption College where Josh Prudden was recruited. I was able to meet the new CEO, David Stevenson, who is most impressive and commences his duties on Monday. Spoke also to Jason McCartney who indicated that there will be very little rucking talent coming in the next draft. McCartney spoke highly of Tom Campbell. There was a great feeling in the 260 plus audience of fanatical WB people who have been buoyed by the tremendous on field efforts this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great night. Particularly enjoyed reading about Mick Egan and his involvement. He was my favourite player in the early 1980s. Not the most gifted player, but an absolute warrior of a back pocket who gave 100% every week during some of our ugliest years.

11. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mick Egan was on the back of my duffel coat in the late 70s and early 80s along with his #10.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeez the old number on the duffel coat was an essential of 70s/80s VFL culture. I had Egans 10 as well in 1980-82. Changed it up in 83-84, with Ian Williams' 5. They were the days.

14. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great report, thanks always right, sounds like fantastic night. May John Schultz live forever.
    always-right: Really old demographic in the audience.....I'd really like to know what our supporter age demographic is compared to other clubs....I'm tipping we over-index on the 60+.
    What'ya mean too many over 60's? Never enough. Hopefully this era, this team will produce baby boomers of a new era. Also hopefully our work in the community will produce a multi ethnic demographic of supporters and help with a ticket into our great society.
    Footscray Football Republic.

16. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Went to primary school with Mick Egan in Yaraville then later teachers college in Melbourne when he was playing at the Dogs. Level headed individual and all round nice guy.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.