Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: GWS Recruiting Assistant Suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    There's simply a better argument as to why they should be more harshly treated for gambling on AFL games. There's no moral issue with taking an illicit drug in and of itself while there is with potentially cheating.

Obviously they should avoid drug use because it may negatively impact their performance and it put their career at risk. I'm not saying it isn't stupid but I don't think it's that important.

My opinion that drug use should not be criminal may also play a part in our differing views on this.
    To me this is a cop out on a couple of levels but I understand we are coming at this from very different positions.

To make the issue a bit clearer, there is nothing to suggest that Paul Brodie cheated but he broke the rules the AFL have in place that pertain to being in the industry and betting on games and he has paid a substantial price for his stupid act. Despite the education he has received constantly and because he failed to listen to those warnings he has been suspended for 13 months.

As a comparison, despite being told time and time again and receiving more education than nearly all other people in society have access to which informs players that if you want to be in the AFL then you can't take illicit drugs, players can ignore that advice and be given a level of unparalleled leniency before a penalty potentially bites them in the arse to the same manner it has with a guy who put a $10 bet on.

From my perspective, there should be little too no level of leniency in either act but I find it irresponsible that the players get a lot more leniency if they take illicit drugs than a recruiter does if he puts a bet on.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think the penalty is a bit heavy handed for a one off $100 bet, from memory Damian Oliver only got ten month for betting $10K on a horse he was racing against.
    A decent fine paid out to charity or a couple of month suspension no pay, some education and 'your done and dusted if it happens again' seems suffice in my books.
    The real issue for me though is the AFL's inconsistency, if the same infringement happens again they are just as likely to tap the next bloke on the bum and say, "don't let it happen again.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    I think the penalty is a bit heavy handed for a one off $100 bet, from memory Damian Oliver only got ten month for betting $10K on a horse he was racing against.
    A decent fine paid out to charity or a couple of month suspension no pay, some education and 'your done and dusted if it happens again' seems suffice in my books.
    The real issue for me though is the AFL's inconsistency, if the same infringement happens again they are just as likely to tap the next bloke on the bum and say, "don't let it happen again.
    $10 bet, $100 win and a $90 profit.

Does anyone else think if it was a high profile player rather than a recruiter the suspension might have been different?

Post Thanks / Like

There are suspensions and suspensions. It strikes me the AFL would be the masters of the type of suspensions Marty got on Frontline when he was suspended to Magnatic Island, all expenses payed, for two weeks.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    $10 bet, $100 win and a $90 profit.

Does anyone else think if it was a high profile player rather than a recruiter the suspension might have been different?
    I thought he bet $100 and won $900?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I thought he bet $100 and won $900?
    I might have read it different. Either way, silly bet because he knew better

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly feel that the suspension is fully warranted. TherEs corruption in so many otheR world sports that we don't even want a sniff of it in AFL. He new the risk when he placed the beT.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Seinfeld episode, in reference to BT's post - if it's an obscure post in reply to one of BT's obscure posts, safe to assume a Seinfeld reference
    Just for you Sedat (and others), Vic Roads wont allow ASS MAN registration plates.

I find discrimination against proctologists getting relevant number plates as abhorrent as anti-dentite discrimination.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Likes Sedat liked this post