Thanks Thanks:  82
Likes Likes:  73
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs Family Day -2016

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    What I have heard about Adams is that he can play tall or small. At the combine his 20 metre sprints were 2.9 seconds, so he can cover ground in spurts, but his standing vertical leap was outstanding (76 cm) meaning he can cover guys a few centimetres taller, given his leap and his strength.

He also reads the ball well in the air so he should be good to cover anybody around the 196 size, the 200 cm types will be tough though, you'd have to think.

From the weekend though, it appears his endurance and disposal skills may be big queries as to his ability to fill an AFL role at this stage.
    As has already been mentioned, whilst Adams marking was strong, his kicking disposal was way off in Saturday's scratch match. He simply couldn't hit a target. This would be my main area of concern for him at this time as he hopefully will have time to build on his endurance in an elite system.

A fair bit has been mentioned on the promise shown of young Lynch which I would also agree with. For mine Bailey Williams, aside from one ordinary kick, shone in his debut performance. The disposal skills of both kids looked very good as did the run they provided. There's a bit to like about both boys.

I would've liked to have seen a bit more size on Declan given another preseason. Unlike Dunkley, it seems like he might struggle to put on upper body size. Hopefully this doesn't hold him back.

Redpath looked like he may have progressed before finishing up early in the third with what I thought was more of a hip than a quad. He was grimacing on testing out the right hip down on the boundary line. He definitely wasn't being rested as I heard the Doc on the bench say he was done. Jack looked very sombre after the injury with Luke post match saying to him to keep his 'chin up'; that it should 'settle'.

Seeing Libba out there again in the thick of it was the clear highlight not to mention him getting through a full four quarters unscathed.

2. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, bornadog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm not that concerned if Adams is 191cm, 192cm or 193cm because if he can play at the AFL level he will figure out a way of playing within the limitations of his height. His athleticism didn't look that flash on Saturday and that's the area I'd like to see some improvement with despite the fact that he tested well at the combine. It's early days for him. If he plays 8 senior games he's had a good first up season with us.
    If it's his first preseason at AFL level he's more than half a chance to have been cooked on Sunday anyway. We don't know how much work has been put into him leading up to the game so if his athleticism and decision making or execution were off it could be because of fatigue (mental and physical).

I'm a bit like you though, we need to treat him as any other first round draftee and give him a year to adapt. It was only twelve months ago that people were questioning Tory Dickson's value.

Post Thanks / Like

Just on Adams a little of what Rohan Smith said after the match,

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/ne...man-get-better

Another of Smith’s defensive group to stand out from the pack was WAFL recruit Marcus Adams, the big bodied 22-year-old making his claim for a spot in the Bulldogs squad for Thursday week’s NAB Challenge opener against Greater Western Sydney.

“He’s strong, isn’t he?, Smith remarked.

“He turned the ball over, but I said to him not to worry about it.

"The way that he defended and defended with purpose was great - It was a really good sign.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    I recall you being pretty upbeat when we drafted him. Now you're expressing doubts after one intraclub match. I just don't get it.
    This is what I wrote when we drafted him

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Big unit and hopefully at 22 years old he has what it takes to be an AFL player.
    I haven't written him off, I am just concerned that is all. I think he needs at least a year, and another pre-season then we can decide if he makes it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, there is a Hamling video on the club website and he appears next to Adams with a bunch of other players standing a round, and Hamling has 3 or 4 cm on Adams (Hamling = 194cm)
    Last edited by GVGjr; 18-02-2016 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Riddled with typos

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand all the conjecture about Adam's height? We all knew he wasn't key position height when we drafted him but understood he played tall and had a strong body.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand all the conjecture about Adam's height? We all knew he wasn't key position height when we drafted him but understood he played tall and had a strong body.
    Anxiety takes many forms. Luckily it converts to excitement if you let it.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, it's not really an issue because he wasn't drafted to take on the key forwards week after week. Lets give him some more time to adapt.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, it's not really an issue because he wasn't drafted to take on the key forwards week after week. Lets give him some more time to adapt.
    Is an Easton Wood style player more around the mark of what we should hope Adams can develop into?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Is an Easton Wood style player more around the mark of what we should hope Adams can develop into?
    Probably a fair comparison. I don't say this with a lot of confidence but he might be a Josh Gibson type if he can perform at his best
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Probably a fair comparison. I don't say this with a lot of confidence but he might be a Josh Gibson type if he can perform at his best
    If he can learn when to peal of his opponents the way Gibson does I'll be happy. Difficult seeing him lock down a position in the team though, not an ability thing more a case of who we take out?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.