Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  17
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: To The Bye - 3 Big Weeks

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post

The upside with this season is still massive despite losing to a red hot Geelong. They dropped games to Collingwood and Carlton too, I wonder if their forum was filled with Ï cant see us winning the premiership now" or "Good sides don't drop these games" comments too.
    100% it would have. Footy fans are a predictable bunch.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    The upside with this season is still massive despite losing to a red hot Geelong. They dropped games to Collingwood and Carlton too, I wonder if their forum was filled with Ï cant see us winning the premiership now" or "Good sides don't drop these games" comments too.
    With 3 premierships in the past decade and a proven ability to consistently win big games? I doubt it. Then again they have actually beaten the top teams again this year which actually proves something.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

3. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    With 3 premierships in the past decade and a proven ability to consistently win big games? I doubt it. Then again they have actually beaten the top teams again this year which actually proves something.
    So what do we need to do differently next time around?

In terms of games played Saturday nights team had the 2nd lowest amount of games played per player for the season (the lowest was GWS - when we also performed poorly against a top team).. So other than fill the team with those missing what changes (both personnel & game style) do we make?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    So what do we need to do differently next time around?

In terms of games played Saturday nights team had the 2nd lowest amount of games played per player for the season (the lowest was GWS - when we also performed poorly against a top team).. So other than fill the team with those missing what changes (both personnel & game style) do we make?
    I do not think we have enough class in the midfield to allow players like Dangerfield and Selwood to be let loose without us making them accountable. The same may well occur against Sydney with the likes of Hannebery and Kennedy. Players like Wallis and Picken have the ability to shut down the opposition. I would also like to see Tom Boyd in the team to provide more marking power up forward. This could then allow Roughead to possibly replace Roberts as a key defender. We badly lacked height around the ground against Geelong. With Wood's return it opens up the possibility to move Suckling further up the ground where his kicking power can be put to better use.

Post Thanks / Like

One things for sure, the return match with the Cats will be season defining and I can't see it being a copy of Saturday's clash. We'll probably have J.J., Dahlhaus, Wood and Toyd back with a few games under their collective belts, Beveridge and the team will be the wiser for this defeat and I can't believe that Selwood and Dangerfield will have as clear a run at it and that we will be beaten at the coalface like we were on Saturday. Geelong could improve overall in the weeks between but one way or another it will be a climax of 2016.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    I do not think we have enough class in the midfield to allow players like Dangerfield and Selwood to be let loose without us making them accountable. The same may well occur against Sydney with the likes of Hannebery and Kennedy. Players like Wallis and Picken have the ability to shut down the opposition. I would also like to see Tom Boyd in the team to provide more marking power up forward. This could then allow Roughead to possibly replace Roberts as a key defender. We badly lacked height around the ground against Geelong. With Wood's return it opens up the possibility to move Suckling further up the ground where his kicking power can be put to better use.
    Zac Smith- 206cm, Stanley 200, Hawkins 198, Blicavs 198, Lonergan 197, Henderson 196
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    1/ we don't tag as a rule so we need to come up with a different idea.. But we did try and have mids play accountable roles on the 2 mentioned on Saturday night, including Wallis, for no effect.

2/ Roberts is a better defender than Roughead.

3/ Boyd in helps, but we need to change the way we move the ball against teams that can defend.

4/ don't mind Suckling moving to a wing, but where do our wingers go?

Post Thanks / Like

1/ we don't tag as a rule so we need to come up with a different idea.. But we did try and have mids play accountable roles on the 2 mentioned on Saturday night, including Wallis, for no effect.

3/ Boyd in helps, but we need to change the way we move the ball against teams that can defend.

Reckon Roughie is a better defender than Roberts. Dicko has been playing wing, needs to go deep forward and move Suckers up.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with this. Roberts is 11th overall in the competition for spoils average per game according to doggies website.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Agree with this. Roberts is 11th overall in the competition for spoils average per game according to doggies website.
    I was saying to my mate on Saturday, have you ever seen a one on one situation, where Roberts has won. I have never seen it at all. He may be ok to make a spoil, but at least Roughie can take contested marks and hold his own in a one on one. Roughie's short comings in defence, were more when his opponent lead, he was slow off the mark.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes N/A, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I was saying to my mate on Saturday, have you ever seen a one on one situation, where Roberts has won. I have never seen it at all. He may be ok to make a spoil, but at least Roughie can take contested marks and hold his own in a one on one. Roughie's short comings in defence, were more when his opponent lead, he was slow off the mark.
    Yeah that's my take on it BAD. Roughie is not the greatest defender going around but he is far, far more aggressive and attacking than Roberts. Roberts has played 8 games this year and according to footy wire has not taken 1 contested mark, not 1! I remember Mark Austin being top 15 for spoils in the AFL a few years ago. Roberts is such a static footballer, but, if that's what Bevo wants I'm good with it.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

14. Likes N/A liked this post