Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  44
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Terry Wallace - Open Mike

In '97 wasn't keeping Leon Cameron off the ground for lengthy periods another mistake? Or is my brain still warped from the pain of that game?
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Lets get The Coon Dog out of retirement so we can get all the answers I say !!!
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs fans are masochists.

Post Thanks / Like

For me, the most redeeming part of Wallace's appearance was his opportunity to explain the whole Grinter thing.

Apparently Grinter's an exceptionally nice bloke off the field, but he was a grade A+++++ thug on the field. An absolute sniper. There can be no debate on that. If ANYONE argues that Rod Grintr wasn't a sniper, then they must think that snipers have never existed in sport. Period. If Grinter claims the Wallace incident was an accident (which he did) then my God, he must've been the clumsiest bloke to ever play the game. It just happened too often - and you just can't be that uncoordinated and make the highest level!

Anyway, Grinter smashes Wallace's face in. Wallace has has his clavicle broken, teeth smashed out, surgery, years of complications and pain.... And to cap it off, has to fork out for his own ongoing treatment. Wallace quite rightly asks "who's paying for this?!" FFC says they're uninsured, MFC says they're uninsured, but recommends Wallace go through the player. Wallace does this and MFC picks up the bill. Done. Grinter was looked after. End of the matter.. How Wallace is construed the "the bad guy" in this is beyond any rational human being! Before people say "Oh, but in those days it was different to now, blah blah blah" let me respond that is IS now. Grinter was saying this all in the year 2016!

20-25 years later, Grinter pops up on Open Mike expressing his disappointment that "things should stay on the field" and "I called him to apologise." P-L-E-A-S-E..! Grinter is delusional!!

I had a guy slam into the back of my car one time. Wrote off my car. His fault, he apologised, I accepted. No point being a prick about it. He didn't mean it, but he was reckless and negligent and done damage to my property. I accepted his apology. After all, there's no point carrying on. That's what mature adults do. He paid for the damage - as mature adults do, and we all moved on.

That's adulthood!.... In fact, it was clear in my case that the other driver obviously didn't want to smash his Audi into my Ford. In the Grinter-Wallace case, there was PLENTY of doubt that Grinter's actions were unintentional! So I think, and many others do, that it was big of Wallace not to tell Grinter to go and get stuffed when he phoned him. It was mature of him, and dare I say, quite decent of him to accept the apology.

So I'm pleased that Wallace had the opportunity to make the point that Grinter needs to accept responsibility and move on. If Grinter says he's disappointed that Wallace pursued him, then on behalf of the adult world, I'm disappointed in Grinter's disappointment!

Grow up Rodney!

5. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, jeemak, HOSE B ROMERO, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    For me, the most redeeming part of Wallace's appearance was his opportunity to explain the whole Grinter thing.

Apparently Grinter's an exceptionally nice bloke off the field, but he was a grade A+++++ thug on the field. An absolute sniper. There can be no debate on that. If ANYONE argues that Rod Grintr wasn't a sniper, then they must think that snipers have never existed in sport. Period. If Grinter claims the Wallace incident was an accident (which he did) then my God, he must've been the clumsiest bloke to ever play the game. It just happened too often - and you just can't be that uncoordinated and make the highest level!

Anyway, Grinter smashes Wallace's face in. Wallace has has his clavicle broken, teeth smashed out, surgery, years of complications and pain.... And to cap it off, has to fork out for his own ongoing treatment. Wallace quite rightly asks "who's paying for this?!" FFC says they're uninsured, MFC says they're uninsured, but recommends Wallace go through the player. Wallace does this and MFC picks up the bill. Done. Grinter was looked after. End of the matter.. How Wallace is construed the "the bad guy" in this is beyond any rational human being! Before people say "Oh, but in those days it was different to now, blah blah blah" let me respond that is IS now. Grinter was saying this all in the year 2016!

20-25 years later, Grinter pops up on Open Mike expressing his disappointment that "things should stay on the field" and "I called him to apologise." P-L-E-A-S-E..! Grinter is delusional!!

I had a guy slam into the back of my car one time. Wrote off my car. His fault, he apologised, I accepted. No point being a prick about it. He didn't mean it, but he was reckless and negligent and done damage to my property. I accepted his apology. After all, there's no point carrying on. That's what mature adults do. He paid for the damage - as mature adults do, and we all moved on.

That's adulthood!.... In fact, it was clear in my case that the other driver obviously didn't want to smash his Audi into my Ford. In the Grinter-Wallace case, there was PLENTY of doubt that Grinter's actions were unintentional! So I think, and many others do, that it was big of Wallace not to tell Grinter to go and get stuffed when he phoned him. It was mature of him, and dare I say, quite decent of him to accept the apology.

So I'm pleased that Wallace had the opportunity to make the point that Grinter needs to accept responsibility and move on. If Grinter says he's disappointed that Wallace pursued him, then on behalf of the adult world, I'm disappointed in Grinter's disappointment!

Grow up Rodney!
    Me heart bleeds buckets of piss for Rodney Grinter.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I for one am glad the days of thuggery have been weeded out of football. Guys like Andrews at Essendon, Matthews at Hawks, or Grinter were not tough guys, they were snipers who were gutless wonders hitting players from either behind or when they are not looking. A true tough guy was Rick Kenndey, although he also did so some stupid things from time to time.

Footballers today are tough, they hit hard (legit bumps), or just going for the ball when surrounded by super fast athletes running at full pace.

As for Grinter a dirty act that he should be ashamed of.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, i was disappointed the way Terry's time finished at the club but that lasted until the start of the following season.

If my memory serves me right(and that's no guarantee), Terry won a couple of best and fairests when he arrived at our club. So many players when they transfer at the end of their careers just go through the motions. That wasn't his style.

On the day of the 'Grinter incident', i was leaning on the wire fencing behind the terrace seating in front of the Gent stand. In other words, fairly close to where it took place. It was the most appalling act i've seen on a footy field.

He then had good stints as the reserves coach and assistant coach.
    What he achieved with that list in '97 after the rabble of a season we had had in '96 was miraculous. We played with a kamikaze abandon. Then on the flipside, we had players who could be ruthlessly brutal. I loved it. For once our club was respected by the opposition. And all the while, whenever Plough was questioned about 'dubious' acts by any of our players, he didn't give an inch to the media.

Yes, it would have been nice to get a flag in his first two years ('97/'98) as a senior coach but not too many blokes do.

And he's one of the few media guys i find are worth listening to.

9. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post