Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  27
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: All our ducks lined up

Quote Originally Posted by ClothesBootsMotorcycle View Post
    We also beat Sydney in the 2008 SF. Our record against them is 4-0 since Princess Diana died.
    Interesting reference point

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Interesting reference point

Apart from the first three quarters the most vivid memory of PM day 1997 is Di's memorial being held at St Paul's in the city. As we walked out of Flinders St station there were flowers and pictures of her and people were *!*!*!*!ing everywhere. I think I'm right in saying the crowd overflow nearly blocked the corner of Swanston and Flinders streets and the trams were having all sorts of problems.

Anyway my point is prelim final day 1997 and Diana's death are forever associated in my mind.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

3. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I can remember looking at the scoreboard at half time when we were 7.1 and thinking that we'd hit our goalkicking straps on the best day possible. Almost any other day it would have read 2.6 or 1.7 and we'd have looked completely out of it, a few days it would have been 3.5 or 4.4. We would have been having a day out if it was 5.3 and we'd still be a couple of the pace.

But in the GF we converted 7 of 8 scoring shots to half time. Things tightened up after halftime and our graph went the other way but while the sun shone thus group made hay. God love them.
    Yet 2 weeks earlier in the Semi we went in at half time with all of the momentum, yet trailing on the scoreboard with 6.10 to our name. I remember saying to another supporter that we had kicked 6.10 and next year we get Cloke.
    There was that sense of dread that we only get so many chances in finals and we could have wasted them again that night, but at the same time the once indomitable Hawks were stuttering and we were in it up to our eyeballs at half time.
    Even after their first goal of the 3rd qtr, when Roughy got an ordinary bounce and McEvoy found Schoenmakers in the clear who then hit up Breust, our response was exceptional. In the past we would have been a better than 50/50 chance to drop our heads and capitulate in a big game like this, but this group is as solid as any group we have ever had.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]