Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  433
Page 54 of 92 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ekers

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Carlton have a few ekers over and above Alex Silvagni - Jed Lamb, Rhys Palmer, Daniel Gorringe, Denis Armfield. I would also add in Liam Jones to that list - averages much less than 10 possessions a game over 8 consecutive seasons.
    Alex Silvagni- 53 games in 7 years. I probably went with his age a bit and didn't consider him being a mature recruit. 2nd-3rd tall defender type. Massive Eker points for being saved via rookie draft

Jed Lamb- 3 clubs in 6 years and 37 games. Wowee.

Rhys Palmer- 3 clubs, 9 years and 122 games. He was my original choice as their Eker but too swayed by Silvagni's age when the focus is on years on an AFL list.

Daniel Gorringe- 6 years, 2 clubs, 26 games. Signed as a delight free agent. Classic Eker back up ruck too.

Dennis Armfield- 9 years, 140 games. A few too many games and too few clubs in such a strong Eker field but still not bad.

Liam Jones- Wow up to 8 years now for 83 games. 2 clubs. I prefer my Ekers to inch out contracts not get one crazy long term gift but still strong. He also looks absolutely gone!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wow this is a hard one. I think I am going to go with Rhys Palmer because I place a massive importance on years in the system. Being an Eker is mainly about survival and I will the 6-7 year barrier is a huge one to crack. Heaps of psudeo Ekers who are 24 years old.

Jed Lamb has enormous Eker legend potential and if Daniel Gorringe somehow gets another contract, he can join the elite bracket of Eker back up rucks.

2. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Why are so many, so hard on the Eker term?! It about survival!

Who else would you go with? Our list is nuts!
    Yeah I don't understand why people think it is a bad word.

From the very first post in this thread

eke
    2 to manage with difficulty to make (a living, livelihood etc) The artist could scarcely eke out a living from his painting.

'Ekers' is a term I use for players who are great at eking out a career. Please don't confuse my ekers with list cloggers though.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never found selecting a club's Eker as I do this year with the doggies.

My general rules are:
    - never been a 'star'. Contrary to a lot of people's opinion, being an Eker does not = being a dud (although minimalistic survival is highly valued).
    - really want more than 6-7 years in the AFL system, the longer the better. As I mentioned in the previous post, lots of psudeo Ekers who are 24 years old. The next contract makes or breaks real Ekers.
    - I like a good low games played to years in the system ratio. As mentioned earlier, minimalistic survival is key.
    - playing for multiple teams and surviving via rookie drafts, delisted free agency and/or steak knives trade deals adds Eker value.

The Bulldogs have a few Eker-ish guys like Prudden, Campbell, Redpath, Jong, Biggs and Honeychurch but all have only been in the AFL system for 4-5 years.

Prudden has has 4 games in 4 years and gets another go on the rookie list due to his great attitude, which is a strong Eker subset.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Yeah I don't understand why people think it is a bad word.

From the very first post in this thread
    Thank you. You, Sedat and comrade are a few of my truly great Eker students.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/cult...7b9-1480645471

We've officially lost one of the greatest ekers today - 11 consecutive seasons at 3 different clubs for a measly 56 games, which is a fraction over 5 games a season. Spang could become one of the first Eker HoF legends.

Wearing my footy scarf at half mast today
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

7. Likes bulldogtragic, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/cult...7b9-1480645471

We've officially lost one of the greatest ekers today - 11 consecutive seasons at 3 different clubs for a measly 56 games. Spang could become one of the first Eker HoF legends.

Wearing my footy scarf at half mast today
    Vale Matt Sphanger. Gone of career, but never Eker forgotten.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Eker rankings

#1 Daniel Currie
    9 seasons and 3 clubs for 8 AFL games. The King!

#2 Dawson Simspon
    9 AFL seasons for 28 games with 2 clubs.

#3 Jake Spencer
    Managed to say at the same club playing 36 games in 9 years.

#4 Shaun McKernan
    8 AFL seasons for 49 games with 2 clubs. Delisted twice and picked up in rookie draft twice by Essendon. 8 AFL season, 49 games.

#5 Jonathan Giles
    10 AFL seasons, 4 clubs for 58 games. Delisted, year in state league, rookie listed and then traded twice in steak knives deals.

Post Thanks / Like

Josh Cowan and Jake Fitzpatrick honourable mentions but I would like to see them break the dreaded 7 year barrier for Ekers.

Kyle Cheney the top non back up ruck Eker.

Post Thanks / Like

Kyle Cheney the top non back up ruck Eker.
    The Eker is like the reverse Brownlow - it is dominated by ruckmen and mids barely get a look-in.

Cheney is a brilliant nomination outside of the ruck domain.

Post Thanks / Like

Alex Silvagni- 53 games in 7 years. I probably went with his age a bit and didn't consider him being a mature recruit. 2nd-3rd tall defender type. Massive Eker points for being saved via rookie draft

Jed Lamb- 3 clubs in 6 years and 37 games. Wowee.

Rhys Palmer- 3 clubs, 9 years and 122 games. He was my original choice as their Eker but too swayed by Silvagni's age when the focus is on years on an AFL list.

Daniel Gorringe- 6 years, 2 clubs, 26 games. Signed as a delight free agent. Classic Eker back up ruck too.

Dennis Armfield- 9 years, 140 games. A few too many games and too few clubs in such a strong Eker field but still not bad.

Liam Jones- Wow up to 8 years now for 83 games. 2 clubs. I prefer my Ekers to inch out contracts not get one crazy long term gift but still strong. He also looks absolutely gone!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wow this is a hard one. I think I am going to go with Rhys Palmer because I place a massive importance on years in the system. Being an Eker is mainly about survival and I will the 6-7 year barrier is a huge one to crack. Heaps of psudeo Ekers who are 24 years old.

Jed Lamb has enormous Eker legend potential and if Daniel Gorringe somehow gets another contract, he can join the elite bracket of Eker back up rucks.
    I love your work Rocco. Ekerology is a very satisfying field of study. For the uninitiated I submit that an Eker slots seemlessly into a category one rung below what Captain Blood used to describe as, "a good ordinary footballer". These blokes tended to get regular games, sort of fixtures in the side, never staring but never liabilitizing either. They tended to be around for a long time. Firrito is the prototype. Ekers are generally not good enough to string together long sequences of games. They tend to travel a lot and are allergic to the limelight - only appreciated and lauded by the followers of this thread.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

I just told my wife Daniel Currie's stats. Her reaction? "Oh, my God!"
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

If you took his total contract payments over the years and divided them by the total amount of games played it would probably make Daniel Curry close to the highest payed player of all time in terms of output.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    If you took his total contract payments over the years and divided them by the total amount of games played it would probably make Daniel Curry close to the highest payed player of all time in terms of output.
    My math is Currie getting about $167,000 per game. Compared to say GAJ who gets say about $2,000,000 a year with his QLD ambassadorship included, which then breaks down to about $90,000 per game if he played all 22 games. Tom Boyd gets a measly $42,000 per game, over 22 games.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    My math is Currie getting about $167,000 per game. Compared to say GAJ who gets say about $2,000,000 a year with his QLD ambassadorship included, which then breaks down to about $90,000 per game if he played all 22 games. Tom Boyd gets a measly $42,000 per game, over 22 games.
    Such a shame that Sam Grimley didn't get another contract after this year - he might have broken the internet with his $$$ to games played ratio.

Post Thanks / Like

L-Jizz just got a 2 year contract extension. The big question is whether or not his outstanding month of footy makes him ineligible for eker status - if he can revert to spudness again in 2018, his hot form will be one of the biggest sleight of hand tricks since Keyser Soze.

18. Likes JohnGentStand liked this post