Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  460
Page 38 of 72 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marcus Bontempelli

Seriously dumbfounded by Brereton's comment that Curnow will be the best player in the Comp in two years.
    I think we've got that player

2. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Seriously dumbfounded by Brereton's comment that Curnow will be the best player in the Comp in two years.
    Dermott says that X player will be X in two years time.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I love how he makes defenders **** themselves when he goes forward. Creates utter chaos because he's too good on the ground for key talls, and way too good in the air with smaller defenders.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

5. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably be Dustin Martin if he keeps up his form post contract

Post Thanks / Like

Curnow's a gun, and will be very close to the Bont. Same age comparison:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/f...&fid1=O&fid2=O

Bont is ahead, but Charlie has plenty in him and it's not a stretch to say he could catch and surpass him in half a decade's time. Players develop differently.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Bont = Special player
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair to Derm, if Charlie Curnow was a stock I'd be buying up big. But where Derm and others are flawed in their thinking with the Bont is the assumption that he's reached a ceiling and won't continue to improve.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

10. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    To be fair to Derm, if Charlie Curnow was a stock I'd be buying up big. But where Derm and others are flawed in their thinking with the Bont is the assumption that he's reached a ceiling and won't continue to improve.
    Actually no. That's not it.

Derm and others in the mainstream footy media need to pump up players who play for clubs that have a higher audience or subscriber rating.

The fact the Bont gets the play he does is sheer testament to how awesome he is - he can't be ignored. They know he's not ever going to reach a ceiling, but it pays more to promote players from other clubs over him anyway.

AFL media is full of dickheads who were watching, playing or loving footy in the 80's and 90's and are biased towards the "big clubs".
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Great to see some aggression from him again. It's been surely missing this season so to see him get in Floggards face instantly was pleasing

13. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Derm just wants to be different to other commentators so if he turns out to be right, he can turn around and say look how clever I am. Massive ego.....can't stand him.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I love how he makes defenders **** themselves when he goes forward. Creates utter chaos because he's too good on the ground for key talls, and way too good in the air with smaller defenders.
    He looks like a 10 year old playing an imaginary game in the backyard. Goes up for the mark, brings it to ground, roves it himself, kicks the goal. His 3rd man up and 2nd ruck work has taught him some tricks
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

16. Likes ratsmac, Topdog, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Actually no. That's not it.

Derm and others in the mainstream footy media need to pump up players who play for clubs that have a higher audience or subscriber rating.

The fact the Bont gets the play he does is sheer testament to how awesome he is - he can't be ignored. They know he's not ever going to reach a ceiling, but it pays more to promote players from other clubs over him anyway.

AFL media is full of dickheads who were watching, playing or loving footy in the 80's and 90's and are biased towards the "big clubs".
    Reckon there is an element of this but it is moreso the players from interstate that suffer more - no better example of this than Pav.

I reckon this issue talks more to the short attention spans of the media and how they are always focused on what is coming up next instead of appreciating what is happening now. And as AR points out, Derm enjoys making deliberately massive statements so that he can feed his ego if they come to fruition. I will say I'm probably 2nd in line on the Curnow bandwagon behind Derm - I rate him massively. But I wouldn't trade anything or anyone for the Bont, and he will get better and better. He is a generational talent that we will get the pleasure of witnessing in our colours for another 12+ years.

Post Thanks / Like

Reckon there is an element of this but it is moreso the players from interstate that suffer more - no better example of this than Pav.

I reckon this issue talks more to the short attention spans of the media and how they are always focused on what is coming up next instead of appreciating what is happening now. And as AR points out, Derm enjoys making deliberately massive statements so that he can feed his ego if they come to fruition. I will say I'm probably 2nd in line on the Curnow bandwagon behind Derm - I rate him massively. But I wouldn't trade anything or anyone for the Bont, and he will get better and better. He is a generational talent that we will get the pleasure of witnessing in our colours for another 12+ years.
    Can Curnow play midfield? I see him more as a KPP and therefore limited on his influence of a game.

The Bont's debut season was sensational and really was the rising star of his year. He has continued to grow, and as you say he has more improvement left in him.

Here is some of his brilliance from yesterday:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/vi...does-dons-rd19
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The best players I've seen are EJ, KT and the Bont.the Bont is better than the other two and Curnow, while he is playing well at the moment, isn't fit to be in the same room. All those blokes are better and more versatile than Curnow. Curnow doesn't own moment after moment inside games.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Can Curnow play midfield? I see him more as a KPP and therefore limited on his influence of a game.
    Think next generation Kouta - can play anywhere, has a massive tank and can clunk them up forward.

Bont is better