Thanks Thanks:  97
Likes Likes:  455
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who would you have JMac target this year?

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Can we hold him back of we want to retain him? I thought he'd have to be elevated or delisted and re rookied.
    We can do two things, wait until the draft and if he close to be the best player available with our last selection we can pick him then or wait until the preseason draft and add him back in then. You run the risk of someone else selecting him but that shouldn't be an issue.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Trengove doesn't cost us a pick does he?

Let's say our first pick = a draftee, plus Trengove, Impey, Crozier and Smith and assume Stringer stays. Only one new young recruit.
    I'm not sure if I'm reading you correctly BD but I believe that we are obliged to pick a 'minimum' of 3 players in the National Draft but can include an elevated rookie such as Roarke but traded in players are not part of the min. of 3.

For example, Hawthorn and Melbourne only had 2 live picks in the previous ND but that is because they upgraded from their rookie lists Kade Stewart and Josh Wagner respectively.

So my reading would see a min of 2 draftees and Roarke IF upgraded.
    Last edited by Doc26; 01-10-2017 at 12:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

So I've seen a few people predicting that we might only use two live picks this draft?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobdog View Post
    So I've seen a few people predicting that we might only use two live picks this draft?
    I hope not. Dal needs more than that to play with.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope not, that means we are upgrading Roarke Smith and bringing in the balance via trades.

I'd even be tempted to break a contract or two for undeserving types to clear the players who aren't committed.

Murphy, M.Boyd, Hamilton, Honeychurch and Crameri aren't enough changes in my opinion.

We can possibly assume Smith, Trengove and Crozier are additions leaving just 2 picks at the draft.
    It's a far better draft than that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'd even be tempted to break a contract or two for undeserving types to clear the players who aren't committed.

Murphy, M.Boyd, Hamilton, Honeychurch and Crameri aren't enough changes in my opinion.
    Who are the undeserving types, in your opinion, in line for the chop then?
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Who are the undeserving types, in your opinion, in line for the chop then?
    I'll wait until we hear who we cut from the list first but there are 4 or 5 that didn't measure up last year and we will know soon enough if any of them are up for trades.
    Also the moment the boys come back from holidays we will get a good idea which ones are committed. It will be a brave boy or an ignorant one that rocks up to training in less than acceptable condition.

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll wait until we hear who we cut from the list first but there are 4 or 5 that didn't measure up last year and we will know soon enough if any of them are up for trades.
    Also the moment the boys come back from holidays we will get a good idea which ones are committed. It will be a brave boy or an ignorant one that rocks up to training in less than acceptable condition.
    So Clay comes to mind pretty quickly as tradeable and down on form from last year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    So Clay comes to mind pretty quickly as tradeable and down on form from last year
    I think it's fair to say that he arrived back from his break in not great condition and struggled most of the season. He wouldn't want to come back from a break in less than ideal condition again.
    I'm not sure about his trade value though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm reading you correctly BD but I believe that we are obliged to pick a 'minimum' of 3 players in the National Draft but can include an elevated rookie such as Roarke but traded in players are not part of the min. of 3.

For example, Hawthorn and Melbourne only had 2 live picks in the previous ND but that is because they upgraded from their rookie lists Kade Stewart and Josh Wagner respectively.

So my reading would see a min of 2 draftees and Roarke IF upgraded.
    ok, I didn't know that.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    ok, I didn't know that.
    I've just thrown the following together, as much for my own interest, using your indicated INs to see how it might work from a slot perspective.

It is an example only, assuming a heavy clean out of uncontracted players, plus Jake:

Robert Murphy = Save for minimum ND pick 1
    Matthew Boyd = Save for minimum ND pick 2
    Declan Hamilton = Save for Roarke Smith Rookie Upgrade (In essence our minimum 3rd ND pick)
    Mitch Honeychurch = Save position for Jackson Trengove trade
    Stewart Crameri = Save position for Hayden Crozier trade, or extra ND pick or another unspecified trade
    Jake Stringer = Save position for J Impey trade, or extra ND pick or another unspecified trade
    Tom Campbell = Save for extra ND pick or unspecified player trade (e.g S Martin)

13. Thanks GVGjr, bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's fair to say that he arrived back from his break in not great condition and struggled most of the season. He wouldn't want to come back from a break in less than ideal condition again.
    I'm not sure about his trade value though.
    Might be more a case of finding him an alternate home to free up spaces on the list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    I've just thrown the following together, as much for my own interest, using your indicated INs to see how it might work from a slot perspective.

It is an example only, assuming a heavy clean out of uncontracted players, plus Jake:

Robert Murphy = Save for minimum ND pick 1
    Matthew Boyd = Save for minimum ND pick 2
    Declan Hamilton = Save for Roarke Smith Rookie Upgrade (In essence our minimum 3rd ND pick)
    Mitch Honeychurch = Save position for Jackson Trengove trade
    Stewart Crameri = Save position for Hayden Crozier trade, or extra ND pick or another unspecified trade
    Jake Stringer = Save position for J Impey trade, or extra ND pick or another unspecified trade
    Tom Campbell = Save for extra ND pick or unspecified player trade (e.g S Martin)
    Thanks Doc, if we assume that Smith gets an upgrade and we keep players with contracts then it's just two picks in what I feel is a reasonably strong draft although not one with a lot of KPP. We have once again showed faith in a list that seriously under performed and I don't believe that is the right approach.

Assuming our interest in Impey and Crozier is around the mark and Trengove is locked in it means we probably have to cough up picks 26 and 39 to acquire them leaving us pick 9 and something much later on in the draft for our two selections.

J-Mac needs to get to work and open up some more spots for us.

If we have the salary cap room then I'd be prepared to break a contract .

Post Thanks / Like

I think you need to be really careful about scenarios where popular clubmen are discarded under contract. Think it could be really detrimental to the culture.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you need to be really careful about scenarios where popular clubmen are discarded under contract. Think it could be really detrimental to the culture.
    I don't know exactly what went on behind the scenes this season but our culture has come into question a lot. Maybe some of the "boys" getting sent to another club wouldn't hurt overall.

I think we need at least 4 picks in the draft on top of any Free agent/trade we may make.

18. Likes bulldogtragic, Dry Rot liked this post