Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  85
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Garry Hincks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garry Hincks

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Lovely bloke. Have sat next to him at Etihad last year and by chance met him in Canberra round 1 this year so we took bus ride together to Manuka Oval. Humble guy who just epitomises salt of the earth doggie supporter base. Blows my mind to think he has travels to every interstate match from Portland. He noted travelling to Perth, Brisbane etc is way easier than Ballarat games as he largely depends upon public transport.
    He said that exact same thing to me after the Ballarat game last year. Walking out of the ground together I said to him that it would be the closest game for him and he did say it was the most difficult to get too.

I asked him about the first game in the sequence and I think it was a game at the WO against the Bombers. The streak would be a lot longer but he missed the previous weeks game against the Hawks at Waverley because he couldn't get there. Coincidentally, I remember being at that game as a 5 year old. It was late in the game and we were preparing to leave so we left our seats and stood at the concourse to watch the last few minutes. The Dogs were down by just under 2 goals, and who should step up with 2 late goals to win the game for the Dogs? Ivan Rasmussen. I'll never forget that day.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    He said that exact same thing to me after the Ballarat game last year. Walking out of the ground together I said to him that it would be the closest game for him and he did say it was the most difficult to get too.

I asked him about the first game in the sequence and I think it was a game at the WO against the Bombers. The streak would be a lot longer but he missed the previous weeks game against the Hawks at Waverley because he couldn't get there. Coincidentally, I remember being at that game as a 5 year old. It was late in the game and we were preparing to leave so we left our seats and stood at the concourse to watch the last few minutes. The Dogs were down by just under 2 goals, and who should step up with 2 late goals to win the game for the Dogs? Ivan Rasmussen. I'll never forget that day.

What year was that Craigsahibee?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    What year was that Craigsahibee?
    Pretty sure he is talking 1974, as that is the year Gary started his streak.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Pretty sure he is talking 1974, as that is the year Gary started his streak.
    Yep. 74 it was

Post Thanks / Like

https://afltables.com/afl/seas/1974.html

My memory was a bit clouded. It must have been 2 late goals to seal the game according to the stats. As the game was in May, I was actually a month shy of turning 5.

Post Thanks / Like

My memory was a bit clouded. It must have been 2 late goals to seal the game according to the stats. As the game was in May, I was actually a month shy of turning 5.
    Love that Bernie Quinlan had 25 kicks, 0 handballs that day!

8. Likes craigsahibee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep. 74 it was

Thanks boys, but we won easily both times we played Essendon in 1974.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Love that Bernie Quinlan had 25 kicks, 0 handballs that day!
    Why would Bernie handball the ball? He could kick goals from pretty much anywhere forward of the centre.

Post Thanks / Like

Why would Bernie handball the ball? He could kick goals from pretty much anywhere forward of the centre.
    Didn't have a scoring shot that day, perhaps he was playing back?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Didn't have a scoring shot that day, perhaps he was playing back?
    He used to do a bit of that. Bevo would have loved a couple of versatile talls like Quinlan and Laurie Sandilands in the team that he could switch from CHF to full back or full forward to CHB or even take a turn in the ruck. And give him a ruckman like Gary Dempsey intercept marking everything across halfback and controlling the ruck and the fall of the ball to our advantage. Dempsey was the best mark of a football I ever saw. I can't remember him punching the ball away in a marking contest, he'd just work his way to the front and then outmark everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember him punching the ball away in a marking contest, he'd just work his way to the front and then outmark everyone.
    I have the same memories....
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Gary Dempsey was the best ruck/ mark in the game, think He used to average about 13 marks a game or more , nowadays it's about 3 or 4.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Gary Dempsey was the best ruck/ mark in the game, think He used to average about 13 marks a game or more , nowadays it's about 3 or 4.
    Proper marks too. Not just getting a dinky 20 metre kick to him when nobody was within 30 metres of him. I hated him for leaving but Dempsey was a gun.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to think of myself as a pretty dedicated supporter and have been a member for nearly 30 years (basically my entire adult life). The idea of attending 1000 consecutive games is just mind-blowing to me.

I seem to remember a scene from 'The Club' where Jack Thompson (referring to Graham Kennedy's character) talked about him attending every game since he was 10 years old...and how "that might not impress you, but it sure as Christ impresses me...' (wish I could find the clip.

Anyway, that's how I feel. This is amazing and no amount of celebration would be enough.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

16. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I like to think of myself as a pretty dedicated supporter and have been a member for nearly 30 years (basically my entire adult life). The idea of attending 1000 consecutive games is just mind-blowing to me.

I seem to remember a scene from 'The Club' where Jack Thompson (referring to Graham Kennedy's character) talked about him attending every game since he was 10 years old...and how "that might not impress you, but it sure as Christ impresses me...' (wish I could find the clip.

Anyway, that's how I feel. This is amazing and no amount of celebration would be enough.
    Laurie Holden and Ted Parker (of Parker's Pies) were the characters names. That scene with just the two of the on the ground talking about their relationship and they get onto the topic Laurie's first game. Ted acts out Laurie's first touch of the footy and it's just a lovely piece of cinema. I think it's my favourite scene in an Australian movie. You can see that Kennedy is really enjoying himself, after all he grew up in Balaclava following the Saimts.

Post Thanks / Like

Laurie Holden and Ted Parker (of Parker's Pies) were the characters names. That scene with just the two of the on the ground talking about their relationship and they get onto the topic Laurie's first game. Ted acts out Laurie's first touch of the footy and it's just a lovely piece of cinema. I think it's my favourite scene in an Australian movie. You can see that Kennedy is really enjoying himself, after all he grew up in Balaclava following the Saimts.
    Yeah, that was a great scene from a great film. Kennedy, Thompson, Wilson - beautiful performances. BTW, Thompson's stand in for a couple of training scenes was Brendan McArdle ex- Vic cricketer and VFA footballer and Age sportwriter
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."