Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  92

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee R6, Vs Fremantle

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I'm all for dropping Hunter, Wallis, Dickson, Wood & Cordy.

I'm playing Naughton & Lewis Young as our 2 key defenders... and sticking them there for 10 years. Time to swallow your pride Bevo!
    I would retain Wood who together with Maclean and Richards has been played out of position. I have always admired Cordy’s competitive spirit and could improvise once again at CHF. Dunkley much like Hunter and Wallis is a poor user of the ball whether as a mid fielder or up forward which is a growing concern given our poor disposal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    I would retain Wood who together with Maclean and Richards has been played out of position. I have always admired Cordy’s competitive spirit and could improvise once again at CHF. Dunkley much like Hunter and Wallis is a poor user of the ball whether as a mid fielder or up forward which is a growing concern given our poor disposal.
    Wood had just 3 kicks for the game and 2 of them were missed shots for goals. 3 kicks just isn't cutting it. His output has been disappointing and it's been a while since he has strung together some decent games.

You talk of ball use but surely Suckling coming back would be a far better option? He gets more of the ball and does vastly more with it plus he takes the game on.

Wood has had 2 quiet years before this one and the signs so far aren't positive. We would expect most players to adapt but for some reason so many people expect that the MC provides him with a favourable match-up and if they don't it's not the players fault if he doesn't perform. I get that he is the captain but how much longer do we lower the levels of expectations with him?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

3. Likes hujsh, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Wood had just 3 kicks for the game and 2 of them were missed shots for goals. 3 kicks just isn't cutting it. His output has been disappointing and it's been a while since he has strung together some decent games.

You talk of ball use but surely Suckling coming back would be a far better option? He gets more of the ball and does vastly more with it plus he takes the game on.

Wood has had 2 quiet years before this one and the signs so far aren't positive. We would expect most players to adapt but for some reason so many people expect that the MC provides him with a favourable match-up and if they don't it's not the players fault if he doesn't perform. I get that he is the captain but how much longer do we lower the levels of expectations with him?
    To be fair he's playing as a key defender for the first time in his career. Whether or not you like the selection decisions you can at least appreciate that even senior players will suffer a learning curve when taking on a new role.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    To be fair he's playing as a key defender for the first time in his career. Whether or not you like the selection decisions you can at least appreciate that even senior players will suffer a learning curve when taking on a new role.
    I'm taking a longer term view on his output than just this season and as I initially stated, it's been a while since he has put together some good games.
    If you can't play tall or forward and you don't get a lot if the ball and when you do you don't have a high skill level you become an average player at best.
    I know he's the captain but he needs to be a lot better than he has been. He's not the intercept beast he once was and doesn't gave the skill level to cover it when the ball is is on the ground

Richards and Naughton are being asked to perform different roles as have so many others but Wood's lack of form seems to be often explained that he is being asked to play out of his comfort zone. As a player is he really that important to us that we need to plan around providing him favourable match-ups?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

He's not. He's playing in a zone defense which means occasionally being accountable for a player taller than you (Crozier and Daniel manage to do it so Wood with his athleticism shouldn't have an issue with it)

He was also playing on Key Forwards like Kurt Tippett back in the days when he was a decent forward at Adelaide so it certainly wouldn't be the first time in his career doing that.

And if you want to say that was a long time ago how about Buddy last year?

Post Thanks / Like

First time as a KPD?
    Wood's played the same role his entire career - intercepting defender, although occasionally he'll play a little tighter (e.g. roles on Buddy and Stevie J in the past).

Wood is horribly out of form and if we really are set to send a message to the group Wood is one I'd seriously look at. Crozier is playing the Wood role of 2015/2016 and we are desperate for height in the backline. Fletch Roberts can at least kick the ball and although has limitations will bust a gut for every second he's on the ground which is a quality we desperately need.

Bevo preaches flexibility but what he rally means is 'flexibilty for anyone not named Easton'.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers