Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
Page 94 of 141 FirstFirst ... 4484858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 2106
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    'The reverse Wingard'...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    My God - Naughton is going to St Kilda!

4. Likes Mofra, bulldogtragic, Grantysghost, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    My God - Naughton is going to St Kilda!
    Like everyone else
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Like everyone else
    Stkilda , new contender for winning trade week

Post Thanks / Like

Any interest in Charlie Constable? Might be looking for more regular senior games.

While it's a unlikely scenario and that he is certainly a bit similar to a few of our midfielders I do think he's a bit of a no nonsense player.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I've got to say, I really am enjoying the moneyball approach to our recruiting. Crozier,JT, Lloyd, Durea and now possibly Bruce and Keath and maybe a third target. We are chasing huge names, just role players.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    I've got to say, I really am enjoying the moneyball approach to our recruiting. Crozier,JT, Lloyd, Durea and now possibly Bruce and Keath and maybe a third target. We are chasing huge names, just role players.
    Agreed, some smarts or touch of class would be nice though. We're clearly after it (Winged, Martin) but just keep missing out.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    How else do you attract a player that doesn't really want to leave his club? Offer him more years and dollars than his current club.
    Doesn’t want to leave? The place is burning to the ground - no one wants to stay. It isn’t a question of prying him out of Adelaide - it’s beating other clubs to his signature.

$600k for 4 years is enormous w his CV and too risky IMO.

Would love to eat humble pie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Doesn’t want to leave? The place is burning to the ground - no one wants to stay. It isn’t a question of prying him out of Adelaide - it’s beating other clubs to his signature.

$600k for 4 years is enormous w his CV and too risky IMO.

Would love to eat humble pie
    Couldn’t disagree more . To pry players out from other clubs you always pay overs
    It’s the lay of the land . Is Brad Hill worth 900 grand a year ? Probably not Martin over 600 ? I’d say his body of work says no

Post Thanks / Like

600k isn't massive overs in today's climate.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

13. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    600k isn't massive overs in today's climate.
    Yep. Huge increase in the current CBA, still 2.5% annual cap increases. 4 year deals will roll into the new CBA which will make it proportionally lower as a percentage of the cap too. The average salary across the comp is about $400,000 next year. Bruce (30-50 goal a year KPF) & Keath (top 10 KPD this year) are better than average players who need a carrot to leave/choose us. Not an issue. If we landed both with the bidding coming from other clubs, I’d be really happy to hear ‘yes’ from these players who have other options and increase the mature talent on our list, especially in KPPs. We still have a 5 x year $700,000 contract now Martin didn’t want it...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep. Huge increase in the current CBA, still 2.5% annual cap increases. 4 year deals will roll into the new CBA which will make it proportionally lower as a percentage of the cap too. The average salary across the comp is about $400,000 next year. Bruce (30-50 goal a year KPF) & Keath (top 10 KPD this year) are better than average players who need a carrot to leave/choose us. Not an issue. If we landed both with the bidding coming from other clubs, I’d be really happy to hear ‘yes’ from these players who have other options and increase the mature talent on our list, especially in KPPs. We still have a 5 x year $700,000 contract now Martin didn’t want it...
    We've gotta pay someone at this rate we won't meet our cap spend. If we're into him we've got to go hard. I think we've gone hard at all our targets we've just missed out a few times.

Money is not the issue here we simply must improve our list, particularly our key back position.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    We've gotta pay someone at this rate we won't meet our cap spend. If we're into him we've got to go hard. I think we've gone hard at all our targets we've just missed out a few times.

Money is not the issue here we simply must improve our list, particularly our key back position.
    I'd guess there was at least 10,000 posts this year of frustration at times of JT, Cordy &/or Wood, Roberts inability to play senior footy, the match committee, coaches, tactics, not replacing Hamling, Adams etc, losing Morris, the need to replace the hole that Naughton playing forward created etc, etc, etc. Then a KPD who had a very good year becomes gettable. If he wants to wear our colours, then we will probably all be a little happier for it. Keath takes CHB, JT & Young compete for FB, Cordy goes to the third tall role with perhaps he, Wood & Crozier competing for two spots. Seems a better balance and serious competition for spots is a good thing. You absolutely nail it: "we simply must improve our list, particularly our key back position."

17. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably a cricket analogy is we’ve played 5 batsmen instead of 6

Post Thanks / Like

If we are to trade for Bruce how confident are we that 3 tall forwards will work for us?

I know there is a belief that Bruce will support in the ruck as well but from what I have seen I don't think he's as good as say Cordy in that area.

I also think Cordy could have been a decent option as a 3rd tall forward if we really wanted to go down that road

I like the idea of recruiting Bruce but it does pose some challenges.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"