Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  41
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gold Coast Suns Viability - How Long Have They Got?

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Does it necessarily have to be a 17 team comp if the Suns fall over? Surely the sensible decision in that case (The AFL finally getting it through their thick heads that the Gold Coast is a leisure/holiday area and that the people who live/holiday there aren't interested in watching sport.

Move the Suns to Tassie. I learned a long time ago that the only reason you bang your head against a brick wall is because it feels good when you stop. It's time for the AFL to stop banging their head against that brick wall. I understand that Gil is desperate to get his memorial project up so he can look like a genius (the man who finally managed to get a pro sporting team to prosper on the GC) but I'm not willing to stand by and watch him piss the goodwill and money the AFL has made up against a wall trying to prove how clever he is.
    I keep hearing Tasmania as the alternate but would they still be plagued with challenges of player retention which is the Suns biggest challenge? Well that and some appalling administrative decisions that include a list manager who was making poor decisions and a fly in and fly out coach

If Brisbane can be turned around the Suns at least have a chance. I think having a team in Tassie would be OK but it's nowhere near a sure thing to be successful.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I keep hearing Tasmania as the alternate but would they still be plagued with challenges of player retention which is the Suns biggest challenge? Well that and some appalling administrative decisions that include a list manager who was making poor decisions and a fly in and fly out coach

If Brisbane can be turned around the Suns at least have a chance. I think having a team in Tassie would be OK but it's nowhere near a sure thing to be successful.

Yeah I don't get how they thought Rocket flying in a couple of times a week to take training and perform the rest of his coaching duties was ever going to work.

The thing with Tassie though is it's still close enough to Melbourne/Victoria to make it just feasible enough (in the case of a Melbourne boy) to access family and the grandparent baby minding service (and believe me when that bub drops you are going to want your own parents close to hand-despite what they say child rearing is not something you want to do without your mum and dad close by)

I think that a team in Tassie would have far less problems with player retention than a team in Queensland. I have always thought that we got the expansion thing arse about in that we should have expanded into Tassie first, ratcheted ourselves into the local scene and then set foot into northern NSW/southern Queensland.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Tasmanian footy needs a boost their local competition from what I read is struggling and may be a pathway to a local AFL side would boost the ground below it.
    A lot of talent has come out of Tassie and if the whole of Tasmania was their Academy they should see growth across the board.
    I actually think that North Melbourne should relocate and become the Tassie kangaroos and take some load of Victoria.
    But that doesn't help the Suns unless two teams go the Tassie and that would help the Hobart, Launceston feud as they could have a team each.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Tasmanian footy needs a boost their local competition from what I read is struggling and may be a pathway to a local AFL side would boost the ground below it.
    A lot of talent has come out of Tassie and if the whole of Tasmania was their Academy they should see growth across the board.
    I actually think that North Melbourne should relocate and become the Tassie kangaroos and take some load of Victoria.
    But that doesn't help the Suns unless two teams go the Tassie and that would help the Hobart, Launceston feud as they could have a team each.
    Two teams in Tassie wouldn't work, the state isn't big enough.

Teams have to generate turnover of over $50 million now to be viable, which is a tough ask.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing with Tassie though is it's still close enough to Melbourne/Victoria to make it just feasible enough (in the case of a Melbourne boy) to access family and the grandparent baby minding service (and believe me when that bub drops you are going to want your own parents close to hand-despite what they say child rearing is not something you want to do without your mum and dad close by)

I think that a team in Tassie would have far less problems with player retention than a team in Queensland. I have always thought that we got the expansion thing arse about in that we should have expanded into Tassie first, ratcheted ourselves into the local scene and then set foot into northern NSW/southern Queensland.
    So if the Gold Coast with their great weather and beaches can't keep young players there why would you be confident that Hobart or Launceston could?
    There are some challenges of having a team in Tassie that include the North South divide and the fact that the drive is quite a long one between the two biggest centres

On field success is they key for the Suns. Brisbane won't have problems with player retention while they are successful

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    So if the Gold Coast with their great weather and beaches can't keep young players there why would you be confident that Hobart or Launceston could?
    I am confident that the Gold Coast, Hobart and Launceston would all be able to retain their players if they choose the RIGHT players.

This is why giving up pick 2 for Lachie Weller was a GOOD IDEA. He wants to be there. What did they give up? An underperforming malcontent (Matera) and a pick used for Brayshaw who really hasn't shown much of anything...an average mid in every way. Add to the 'Weller' formulae the examples of players such as David Swallow - there is something in his makeup that has kept him at the club...the big ruckman (Witts) likewise. Miller likewise. Harbrow...

There are players who clearly WANT to form part of the fabric of a club based on the Gold Coast...or maybe they are just loyal personalities who would be one club players if drafted to Uzbekistan. Find those players.

The Giants talk about how Craig Lambert was a key to making things work in Parramatta. He is in footy purgatory at the moment post Whitfield drugs cheating saga...GIVE HIM A JOB.

Honestly, this stuff isn't rocket science.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

7. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I am confident that the Gold Coast, Hobart and Launceston would all be able to retain their players if they choose the RIGHT players.

This is why giving up pick 2 for Lachie Weller was a GOOD IDEA. He wants to be there. What did they give up? An underperforming malcontent (Matera) and a pick used for Brayshaw who really hasn't shown much of anything...an average mid in every way. Add to the 'Weller' formulae the examples of players such as David Swallow - there is something in his makeup that has kept him at the club...the big ruckman (Witts) likewise. Miller likewise. Harbrow...

There are players who clearly WANT to form part of the fabric of a club based on the Gold Coast...or maybe they are just loyal personalities who would be one club players if drafted to Uzbekistan. Find those players.

The Giants talk about how Craig Lambert was a key to making things work in Parramatta. He is in footy purgatory at the moment post Whitfield drugs cheating saga...GIVE HIM A JOB.

Honestly, this stuff isn't rocket science.
    I agree it isn't Rocket Science, putting a good coach and coaching resources in place, having a good list and recruiting manager in place and making sound and realistic decisions on they players they bring in is all basic stuff

Regarding Lambert, he thoroughly deserved his stint in purgatory but it's time the Suns had a look at bringing him and his wife into the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Gold Coast now taking Melbourne's Darwin games for the next 4 seasons. Which makes more objective sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Gold Coast now taking Melbourne's Darwin games for the next 4 seasons. Which makes more objective sense.
    They'll take the Alice games soon too. With Cairns games, the partnership with the NT government and the Darwin NGA, they'll be the Northern Australia Suns soon enough.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    They'll take the Alice games soon too. With Cairns games, the partnership with the NT government and the Darwin NGA, they'll be the Northern Australia Suns soon enough.
    Tjhat makes 100% more sense than the Gold Coast Suns. I'd happily support that.

Post Thanks / Like

Tjhat makes 100% more sense than the Gold Coast Suns. I'd happily support that.
    Wash your mouth out Two dogs a real Westin could never support a non western suburbs team !!!
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    Wash your mouth out Two dogs a real Westin could never support a non western suburbs team !!!
    They have been my second team since Rocket was there. I've never had a second team before.

Post Thanks / Like

They have been my second team since Rocket was there. I've never had a second team before.
    Always easy to have a second team, that is no real threat.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Always easy to have a second team, that is no real threat.
    I thought that I might be getting a half decent team to barrack for in September!

Heh! Silly Twodogs!!!!

16. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As much as I'm a rocket fan it could never sway me. I did however watch 5 Fitzroy home game when a certain Braybrook boy played a year there !!!!
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

18. Likes Raw Toast liked this post