Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  44
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The protected area and the new rules.

So - I need someone to help me understand a rule I cannot get my head around.

1/. There are now two (2) differently defined protected areas.
    - ONE is in effect when the ball is being kicked in after a point. Section 17.3 of the rules defines this.
    - The OTHER is in effect after a mark or free-kick - section 20.1.2 (b) defines this.

2/. Apparently the definitions of 20.1.2 (B) also apply to the area defined in 17.3 - hence they are both called 'The PROTECTED AREA'. It reads like this:

No Player shall enter and remain in the Protected Area unless the field
    Umpire calls ‘Play On’ or the Player from the opposing Team is accompanying or following within two metres of their opponent. Any Player caught in the Protected Area must make every endeavour to immediately vacate the Protected Area.

-------------
    Now - and I know I am prob the only one trying to get my head around this - this means that should a player chase after an opponent into the protected area during a kick in - which is now 24m deep RIGHT ACROSS THE OVAL (the square is 9m + the 'blue dot' signalling the protected area is a further 15m out! - a 50m penalty 'can' be the result. As in, if you are more than 2m behind, that is a protected zone violation and the ball will be moved from the 24m 'blue dot' - which is 'the mark' and advanced 50m straight down the middle of the field.

The umpires are telling me they will be taking a 'liberal' view of this rule...but that is something that sounds cool in Feb but feels a lot less fun in May when it is being officiated like crazy.

I was at a presentation about all this last night and I am pretty clear on the standard 'protected area' thing around the ground. I mean, it's completely stupid and the AFL have lost their minds, but, whatever - I get it. But this massive boundary line to boundary line protected zone that appears after every point that no-one is allowed into? I am really battling to understand how that works, how it is to be policed etc.

Has anyone got their head around it?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The protected area and the new rules.

The AFL makes a bad rule; everyone hates it; the AFL changes the bad rule; Murdoch gets to run 4 months of headlines about no one doing anything in a cabinet members office
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

3. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hang on. Pretend I'm stupid and I'm having trouble understanding concept #2, the kick out zone thingy.

Does it mean that when a defender is kicking out that no attacking player will be allowed closer than an area that is pretty much half of the inside 50 metre zone? And if one does that the kicker will be bought 75 metres up the ground? Do I have that right? I can't do because that's insane.

Most grounds are around 170-180 metres long so that means the kicker will be inside the centre square. What about players from the defending team, will they be allowed in the 24 metre area? Or is that when their opponent can follow within 2 metres of them?

What problem are we solving with this rule change anyway?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Hang on. Pretend I'm stupid and I'm having trouble understanding concept #2, the kick out zone thingy.

Does it mean that when a defender is kicking out that no attacking player will be allowed closer than an area that is pretty much half of the inside 50 metre zone? And if one does that the kicker will be bought 75 metres up the ground? Do I have that right? I can't do because that's insane.

Most grounds are around 170-180 metres long so that means the kicker will be inside the centre square. What about players from the defending team, will they be allowed in the 24 metre area? Or is that when their opponent can follow within 2 metres of them?

What problem are we solving with this rule change anyway?
    Sounds to me, if I'm reading correctly (every chance I'm not), the AFL is declaring war on teams that try to keep the ball inside their own 50, by basically allowing free reign of defenders to run inside 50 to receive a kick in unopposed.
    If true, its nuts, teams will adjust their press accordingly and focus on the next passage of play.

6. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Sounds to me, if I'm reading correctly (every chance I'm not), the AFL is declaring war on teams that try to keep the ball inside their own 50, by basically allowing free reign of defenders to run inside 50 to receive a kick in unopposed.
    If true, its nuts, teams will adjust their press accordingly and focus on the next passage of play.
    Which is what happens now due to the rule of just playing on from a kick in. I hated that rule when it was brought in as it is one of the fundamentals that Aussie rules was developed on. Now they are extending that with protection zones.

In 10 years time, this game is going to be unrecognisable.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually feel sorry for the umpires having to interpret these rules. These contentious changes are, to quote Hairspray’s Motormouth Mabelle “a whole lot of ugly coming from a never ending parade of stupid”. There are already too many decisions that leave supporters scratching their heads & changing interpretations from week to week and sometimes game to game, usually after uproar that umpires have been too harsh. It’s Hocking and the AFL that are the blight yet the umps will cop it sweet. This will only add the pain.

9. Likes SquirrelGrip, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretend I'm stupid and I'm having trouble understanding concept #2...
    ...ummm, if you line them up, I'll knock them down.

I have no problem 'pretending' this part! :-)

The 'protected zone' goes from the 'blue dot' (15m out from the top of the 9m goal square) in an arc right across the ground. The arc ends 15m away from each point post. So...depending on the width of the ground it will be a flatter shape or a 'fatter' shape!

No PLAYER can go in there. If an attacker (players on the team who are kicking out) runs in there, he will be told to clear the protected area...but a mark will be paid if he runs in there and the ball is kicked to him. If a defender goes in there, well...that's where it gets tricky. Technically if he is more than 2m away from his opponent when he runs in there...well, that's 50m. And the ball will be placed 50m from the man on the mark (aka, the blue dot) which will be 74m from goal!

It gets worse. All over the field, the team in possession cannot block the man on the mark. But in the situation of kick-in after points, they ARE permitted to block the player on the blue dot. 'cos that wont be confusing.

11. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah - you want to know something else?

After the umpire says stand, you cannot 'leave' the mark until play-on is called. You cannot hand the mark over to someone else, you cannot do a thing. If you move laterally, forwards or backwards - if you do anything more than jump up and down on the spot - that is 50m.

I'm sure the players will get it but it is seriously messing with my brain....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    I actually feel sorry for the umpires having to interpret these rules. These contentious changes are, to quote Hairspray’s Motormouth Mabelle “a whole lot of ugly coming from a never ending parade of stupid”.
    I believe that’s the first time Hairspray has been quoted on WOOF.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

I found the protected area its the 5m around Karen Paxman any time she touches the ball.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I found the protected area its the 5m around Karen Paxman any time she touches the ball.
    Funny thing - the AFLW aren't playing the new rule. Or if they are, the umpires are simply not officiating it.

I had to umpire a game yesterday and I must have said the word 'STAND' 300 times. It was a JOKE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    ...ummm, if you line them up, I'll knock them down.

I have no problem 'pretending' this part! :-)

The 'protected zone' goes from the 'blue dot' (15m out from the top of the 9m goal square) in an arc right across the ground. The arc ends 15m away from each point post. So...depending on the width of the ground it will be a flatter shape or a 'fatter' shape!

No PLAYER can go in there. If an attacker (players on the team who are kicking out) runs in there, he will be told to clear the protected area...but a mark will be paid if he runs in there and the ball is kicked to him. If a defender goes in there, well...that's where it gets tricky. Technically if he is more than 2m away from his opponent when he runs in there...well, that's 50m. And the ball will be placed 50m from the man on the mark (aka, the blue dot) which will be 74m from goal!

It gets worse. All over the field, the team in possession cannot block the man on the mark. But in the situation of kick-in after points, they ARE permitted to block the player on the blue dot. 'cos that wont be confusing.
    OK sir, riddle me this. If I'm still not quite sure what's going on does that make me stupid? What if a teammate runs in, has the ball kicked to him and drops the mark? Is that a free kick to the closest forward in an area where he can presumably in a spot from where he can have a shot?

I'm scared sir.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

They should definitely put a 24 metre line on each ground and we can all explain to folks new to the game why the goal square is nine metres long, the protected area is fifteen metres out from there, the fifty metre arc is well - fifty metres and an infringement will result in the kicker being taken to seventy-four metres out from goal.

What definitely doesn't make sense is extending the goal square by one metre. You can't mess with tradition that is so integral to the fabric of the game such as the length of the goal square.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

18. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Soon we'll have 10m lines on the ground like gridiron.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    But this massive boundary line to boundary line protected zone that appears after every point that no-one is allowed into? I am really battling to understand how that works, how it is to be policed etc.
    Sounds like the offside rule, defenders lined up at the halfway line until an attacker runs forward
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff