Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  132
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Many More Wins Left In The H&A?

Don't go getting Loco Essay you're loved here DG.

2. Likes jeemak, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I agree with what you’re saying, and I certainly see through your glasses too. There is that expectation. 2016 was one of the greatest moments of my sporting life (even though I was in the USA at the time, which I booked 18 months beforehand), and I think after being on such a high and so much to look fwd to, the next 3 years really took a toll. I’m enjoying the season, and I’m enjoying the ride.
    Yeah, best not to look back (except 2016), and enjoy where we are at the moment.

I am loving watching the Bont and see what he does and how he can turn a game and Naughton is one of the best young forwards I have seen for a long time.

We have lots of good players, and they just have to work as a team and we will be unstoppable.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes DOG GOD, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've pinned my colours to the mast wins wise, and wouldn't have been so bullish in previous seasons.

Having just watched the Freo game, we are much too good not to be in the top four. We didn't play well at all, it seemed sluggish all game however, we just had answers.

We've lost to Melbourne and Richmond this year. That's it. We can build, while I get the impression they are what they are and it's been seen already.

This is more like 2016 than we give it credit for.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I've pinned my colours to the mast wins wise, and wouldn't have been so bullish in previous seasons.

Having just watched the Freo game, we are much too good not to be in the top four. We didn't play well at all, it seemed sluggish all game however, we just had answers.

We've lost to Melbourne and Richmond this year. That's it. We can build, while I get the impression they are what they are and it's been seen already.

This is more like 2016 than we give it credit for.
    It never really clicked for us in 2016 until it mattered and when it did.. well we all know the story. Given the lack of continuity this year (we've played the most players in the comp!) it's fairly remarkable we're sitting 2nd on the ladder.

Lots to look forward to in the 2nd half of the year as we get players back and look to settle on what looks our best team, but it's good to know that we probably have 30-35 players who could realistically play in our first final, and all play a role which is a great position to be in.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a ladder predictor…had us finishing 3rd, playing Brisbane at the Gabba..lose that and come up against Rich at MCG…now that would suck.
    Thanks DG.

Your prediction really buoyed me, based on the fact you are least likely to pick us to win any week. I am now certain we can't miss top 4.

The fact that we need to lose 3 more games than Brisbane from this point, to not be top 2, also makes me fairly confident that we finish ahead of them.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

9. Likes DOG GOD, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    It never really clicked for us in 2016 until it mattered and when it did.. well we all know the story. Given the lack of continuity this year (we've played the most players in the comp!) it's fairly remarkable we're sitting 2nd on the ladder.

Lots to look forward to in the 2nd half of the year as we get players back and look to settle on what looks our best team, but it's good to know that we probably have 30-35 players who could realistically play in our first final, and all play a role which is a great position to be in.
    The fact we're 10-2 and have played been forced to play Jordon Sweet as a stand alone ruck for a decent portion of the season, as well as missing Dunkley and Treloar is pretty encouraging. If you took Gawn, Jackson, Oliver and Viney out of Melbourne for an extended period at the same time, I'm sure they would look completely different.

The next 10 weeks is all about staying as fit as possible while finding our best combination, particularly in the defensive half.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

11. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It clicked enough for us to win 15 games in the home and away season, usually enough to get you into the top four at the time. In 2016 we got punished a little more severely with injuries, but we're having a decent crack at that this year as well.

I get it's not the same, but the major difference is we're probably a bit better talent wise now than we were then so can mask the injuries better.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm firmly of the belief that if we were able to get over the line against Adelaide in the 2015 EF, we would have been able to do in that September what we did 12 months later. We were travelling beautifully leading into the 2015 finals series, probably as good as we have at any stage of the Bevo era up to this year.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

14. Likes SquirrelGrip, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will do Axe Man
    Keep posting mate. This forum would be bloody boring if we agreed.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

16. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Keep posting mate. This forum would be bloody boring if we agreed.
    I disagree.

18. Likes Bulldog4life, azabob, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I disagree.
    Can you agree to disagree?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I disagree.
    Agreed.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Updated: How many wins from here?

10-4 Current W/L
    2nd Ladder - Equal Points with Geelong, Brisbane, Port Adelaide

4 Games at Marvel
    2 Games in Victoria (Ballarat & MCG)
    2 Games interstate (Gold Coast 16th, Tasmania 17th)

3 Games vs Top 8 Opponents (All in Melbourne: 2 x Docklands, 1 x MCG)
    5 Games vs Non Top 8 Opponents - a game against each of the bottom 3 teams, plus 11th & 13th

Players to come back to fitness in the H&A:

Treloar
    Dunkley
    Martin
    Wood
    Vandermeer
    Jong

Fixture:

Round 16 Sat 3 Jul 12:00pm Kangaroos Marvel Stadium - 18th
    Round 17 Sat 10 Jul 12:00pm Swans Marvel Stadium - 7th
    Round 18 Sat 17 Jul 12:00pm Suns Metricon Stadium - 16th
    Round 19 Sat 24 Jul 12:00pm Crows Mars Stadium - 13th
    Round 20 Sat 31 Jul 12:00pm Demons MCG - 1st
    Round 21 Sat 7 Aug 12:00pm Bombers Marvel Stadium - 11th
    Round 22 Sat 14 Aug 12:00pm Hawks UTAS Stadium - 17th
    Round 23 Sat 21 Aug 12:00pm Power Marvel Stadium - 4th

I was thinking 16-17 wins in total. Hoping still for 17, could be 16. Still hoping for top 2, but it’s harder now after the Geelong result and no real room for bad results. Every post needs to be a winner.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 27-06-2021 at 08:31 AM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

With 0 upsets it's 17

Post Thanks / Like

Query - would you rather be Melbourne, who have coughed up games to average sides in Adelaide and Collingwood, or the Bulldogs who have lost to other contenders (noting that we have also defeated Lions and Port)?