Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  104
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 18 Vs Gold Coast Suns 2021

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Maybe not, but that’s my question(s)…could he get the chance to do better in a run of matches, and given he’s switched around a lot, is it also possible it’s harder to meet what the coaches want of him?
    I see Young and Schache to be very similar, ie very laid back, no aggression but both with some talent.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Also Sam Day is out so maybe Lewy just doesn't have a match up this week and has been told we're happy what you are doing but we're sitting you out this week.

Cordy does seem to be a better match up for Burgess.
    Outside King they have Corbett at 190cm and Burgess at 191cm. From a matchup point of view we don't need 3 KPDs and at this point in the season I would prefer to prioritise winning over player development.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    HB flanker with experience
    That's the best you could come up with?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I see Young and Schache to be very similar, ie very laid back, no aggression but both with some talent.
    That's a fair observation.

Young has had opportunities, remember he was chosen over Trengove late in 2019 who was then playing very well in a winning team. All but the death knell for his time with us.

He was actually selected as a ruck replacement for English in the GWS game where we thumped them, and the following week was retained as a defender. Two years on we still can't work out his best position.

Then whatever happened early 2020, who knows not worth speculating but he was on the nose for a while.

He's back in the mix this season, been given opportunity and is in and out like most of the fringe guys.

Lets hope he can take one of those opportunities and really cement himself as they'll not be around forever in this game.

Put him in the ruck! (I liked his ruck work last week).

I'm with the consensus this week and think it's match ups, and a shuffle at the fringe.

5. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Outside King they have Corbett at 190cm and Burgess at 191cm. From a matchup point of view we don't need 3 KPDs and at this point in the season I would prefer to prioritise winning over player development.
    Who gives aerial support to Keath, and will make an impact to the contest if King starts to get a hold of a few?

But given we shifted Young away from his defensive role pretty early last week I guess we don't see that being a strength to his game even though he's shown some promise in the past.

#inbevowetrust

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Who gives aerial support to Keath, and will make an impact to the contest if King starts to get a hold of a few?

But given we shifted Young away from his defensive role pretty early last week I guess we don't see that being a strength to his game even though he's shown some promise in the past.

#inbevowetrust
    Has anyone got a hold of Keath this year, he is rarely beaten. But it's a team defence and just about all of the backline apart from Caleb are capable of providing aerial support. In fact they are often too keen to all fly and forget to leave anybody at ground level.

I don't think the old worry of having an opposition tall taking multiple contested marks deep forward has been an issue this season at all.

8. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Has anyone got a hold of Keath this year, he is rarely beaten. But it's a team defence and just about all of the backline apart from Caleb are capable of providing aerial support. In fact they are often too keen to all fly and forget to leave anybody at ground level.

I don't think the old worry of having an opposition tall taking multiple contested marks deep forward has been an issue this season at all.
    Keath has had an amazing year, but King is the type of player that Keath can struggle with if the supply is ok and he's left to battle alone.

And to your second point given we are often stretched for height so it's generally an ''all up'' approach, rather than being a defined player to assist... chalk & cheese to how Melb set up.

Post Thanks / Like

#inbevowetrust
    Can Crozier do a bit of that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Can Crozier do a bit of that?
    In theory. Haven't seen it in a couple of years though.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

12. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    In theory. Haven't seen it in a couple of years though.
    Crozier is being entrusted in the Wood role as third up yeah.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, plus Williams, Dale and Duryea do provide some third man aerial defence too.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Wood hasn't really had that role for quite a while and has been playing as a lockdown defender on the oppositions most dangerous small forward.

The chopping and changing in our best defensive set-up to me isn't desirable. Do we really think that Melbourne would drop Petty if they were playing GC? As soon as Tomlinson got injured Petty replaced him and with May & Lever have continued on with the 3 KPD set-up... we haven't been helped by lack of continuity with our defenders, but at this point of the year we have NFI what defensive set-up works best for us which isn't where I hoped we would be.

16. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, DOG GOD, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wood hasn't really had that role for quite a while and has been playing as a lockdown defender on the oppositions most dangerous small forward.

The chopping and changing in our best defensive set-up to me isn't desirable. Do we really think that Melbourne would drop Petty if they were playing GC? As soon as Tomlinson got injured Petty replaced him and with May & Lever have continued on with the 3 KPD set-up... we haven't been helped by lack of continuity with our defenders, but at this point of the year we have NFI what defensive set-up works best for us which isn't where I hoped we would be.
    Keath, Cordy, Williams, Duryea, Daniel have been pretty steady (other than injuries). Others have come in and out due to injuries (Wood, Gardner, Crozier)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn’t matter how many back flankers we have but as some have said, if Cordy is to be the 2nd KPP come finals then that is asking for disaster. Dale, Williams and Daniel should be back with Keath, Cordy/Gardner and Young. Crozier/wood/Duryea should be fighting for a 1-2 bench spots.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Based upon what I saw last week against Sydney Bruce should be dropped and Young should stay in. He contributed twice what Bruce did. Bruce was back to 2020 form, dropped marks and poor kicking. I’m certain the MC understands what they are doing but very few on WOOF are capable of explaining it.
    I agree with your comments re- Bruce and Young and the Sydney game.

Taken across the season (and you can include last season) Bruce is 1st choice key forward. It does not see to me that Young and Bruce are competing for the same spot...I mean, they might play the same/similar 'ROLE' in some games but Bruce has a spot and Young is purely there as backup/support. I get that this doesn't necessarily make sense but having a clear view of your preferred structure/best 18 (well, it's really best 12-14 or so because there is always going to be change 'around the edges') is coaching in a lot of ways...and yep, this is the sort of thing that leads to accusations of 'playing favourites' but having a settled side is also important.

I'm a bit confused with the selections this week but with Naughton, Bruce and JUH we don't need another tall-ish forward. And with Bruce and JUH, we don't need another forward who either cannot or will not apply pressure. So - I can see why he hasn't been selected as a forward. And unless Cordy was going to be dropped - and he is the backline equivalent of Bruce - then there is no room for Young in the side. Because you can't go into a game without a clear role for each player...because you cannot make it up as you go. Young is either a tall forward or a tall defender...if he is behind Naughton and Bruce in the first category and behind Keath and Cordy in the 2nd - AND we are only playing 2 of each???

I don't know. I understand it I guess. But I thought Young really showed great effort last week. But if he had been selected for a game in which there was no clear position for him, well...he would have been on and off the ground as the MC hunted for a position for him and that would not have ended well. Perhaps this way, he is at least in a positive position to return in the near future?

Is he 'ACTUALLY' behind Bruce and Cordy? Well - Bruce is our leading goal-kicker and whilst Cordy is frustrating, he does show great effort.

The difficult part of all this hypothesising? If Gardner was available I suspect he would play (as would Cordy and Keath) and then we WOULD be un-balanced and then, well, who knows what then!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.