Thanks Thanks:  77
Likes Likes:  355
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs: Cody Weightman

I was one who was a bit pessimistic on Cody late last year and early this year. Pickett's hot early form probably didn't help things. So glad Cody has turned it around. He was probably just a bit too raw last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Hell yeah Cody. Dudes still rock.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

3. Likes jeemak, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's way ahead of where I thought he'd be. Has real energy about him
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Needs to learn to hold his feet. I love the way he plays, really loves his foot.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Strong Jamie Elliot vibes about young Cody. He's a real handful both in the air and once the ball hits the deck. Still has so much upside as well. Turning into an astute pick.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

8. Likes EasternWest, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Effectively took Atley, one of their best runners, out of the game by playing Weightman deep. It was a good ploy by Bevo. I never expected for Flea to then take him to the cleaners in the first. Great result.

10. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Remember when we was a wasted selection and nobody wanted him?

Me neither, let's not look back through this thread.
    I just did. A few Woofers should hang their head in shame.

12. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs' cult hero focusing on 'flea-like' moves to keep spot in best 22

CODY Weightman has developed a cult following among Western Bulldogs fans but still doesn't feel as though he's cemented his spot in the ladder-leaders' best line-up.

The spring-heeled small forward has been given a licence to fly for big marks by coach Luke Beveridge and has utilised the freedom, putting together an impressive highlights catalogue.

Since breaking into the team with a three-goal haul against Port Adelaide in round nine, Weightman has played seven consecutive games, culminating in a career-best four goals against North Melbourne last Sunday.

But it is the less-spectacular elements of the second-year player's game that are most valued internally at the Bulldogs, where is known as 'Flea' because of namesake and former Richmond champion Dale 'Flea' Weightman, as well as his 177cm frame.

"That's what keeps you in the team and that's what the team has success off the back of, so that's definitely where my focus is - the smothers, the tackles and the 'flea-like' nature," Weightman said.

"I like to have the mindset that I'm not (cemented in the team) because I think that's when I play my best football, when I'm not complacent and I'm doing the desperate stuff.

"I like to hope that I've done a few good things now that have given me a little bit of credit that might keep me in the team, but at the same time I'm approaching it as if I'm playing for my life each week."

Weightman showed his aerial ability with a pair of contested marks in the win over North Melbourne and generated plenty of hype with a huge ride on Carlton's Ryley Stoddart in a VFL game in May.

"Coming out of the draft that was a strength of mine and since then I've been able to create a bit more of a complete game, which has probably held me in good stead," Weightman said.

"But certainly you play to your strengths at this club, which is what Bevo and the rest of the coaching group preach.

"I've certainly got the licence to jump if I feel like it's my time to go, but obviously given my stature, there's times when I've got to stay down and play that type of role as well."

Weightman said he is unsure how the Bulldogs will line up in attack in a crunch clash with Sydney at Marvel Stadium on Sunday, with key forward Aaron Naughton ruled out under concussion protocols.

Naughton was substituted out of the North Melbourne game after landing heavily from a marking contest and did light work on an exercise bike on Tuesday.

"He's in good spirits and feeling a lot better now," Weightman said.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"I like to hope that I've done a few good things now that have given me a little bit of credit that might keep me in the team, but at the same time I'm approaching it as if I'm playing for my life each week."

Love it.

16. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the way a first round draft pick has bided his time, accepted that 2020 was a write off with little VFL, worked on his game in 2021 in the VFL and improved areas like pressure, cracked the AFL team and is now blossoming.

Could be a good example for another first round draft pick currently playing VFL.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

18. Likes azabob, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    I love the way a first round draft pick has bided his time, accepted that 2020 was a write off with little VFL, worked on his game in 2021 in the VFL and improved areas like pressure, cracked the AFL team and is now blossoming.

Could be a good example for another first round draft pick currently playing VFL.
    Josh Schache?

Post Thanks / Like

Young Cody has so much energy which is great for the team. Jumping around on the spot even before the ball has been bounced. Adds a lot to our forward line. Accurate kick too. Could have easily kicked 5.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He's way ahead of where I thought he'd be. Has real energy about him
    That’s the bit about him I love the most - he bounces back to his feet when he hits the deck, let’s the opposition know about it when he has done something and just always gut runs. He is the type of bloke that lifts the team off the ball.

Obviously his forward craft, X factor and work overhead are great too.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Cody did really well to force his way back into the game and make an impact on it. Reckon he only had one touch a bit before half time, but two second half goals really helped get us over the line.

He's a ripper, so glad we picked him up.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

23. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I thought Cody did really well to force his way back into the game and make an impact on it. Reckon he only had one touch a bit before half time, but two second half goals really helped get us over the line.

He's a ripper, so glad we picked him up.
    I love having a player who gets a set shot and I can relax. His repeat sprints per game must be off the charts too. He and Jamarra are the perfect pair. Small who can play tall too and is super quick. Jamarra a tall who is going beneath his knees who is super quick. Amazing pairing. Then there’s the others rounding out, Naughton and Bruce…
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023