Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  33
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can someone (please) explain to me the reason we would trade for Stef Martin (or another ruck only player).

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I do have a sneaking suspicion that Bevo is just going to back English in to be our main man moving forward, including 2022 and beyond.
    Absolutely it is and when he matures he'll be lauded for it. Problem is, it's not helping us now and it's a frustrating dichotomy needing a good one now in our window while we continue to play an inexperienced one who has a high ceiling which might only be reached in the next 2-3 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can someone (please) explain to me the reason we would trade for Stef Martin (or another ruck only player).

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Absolutely it is and when he matures he'll be lauded for it. Problem is, it's not helping us now and it's a frustrating dichotomy needing a good one now in our window while we continue to play an inexperienced one who has a high ceiling which might only be reached in the next 2-3 years.
    Even if he is - we're terribly thin for ruck depth anyway. We absolutely should be looking at rucks.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

The best we have looked for mine, was Martin in ruck, and the 3 headed monster up fwd. I think this balanced our team better.
    What I don’t like seeing is English in ruck and the 2 headed monster, in turn, leaving a one headed monster when English is on the bench, and Bruce is rucking.

I wonder if Bruce’s poor form lately has anything to do with the fact he’s being pulled from the fwd line to ruck, then having to get back into the groove again. Maybe he finds this difficult.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Having a “main ruck” while another 200cm guy chills 90% of the game in the forward pocket is old thinking for mine. Melbourne have the best ruck in the world and even they’ve opted for something of a timeshare in order to get more presence across the whole ground.

I said this last year but having a number of mobile skilful talls who can dominate in the air is a good thing and I’d play 22 of them if we had them. Even if Bevo wants to put Tim on the teamsheet next to the letter R all next season we should still bring in capable support and play them every week.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Ladhams is the best option in that way of thinking. Doesn't need to be a ruck to be involved, and covers the ground well.

Mabior Chol seems to cover the ground well, and i believe is an UFA, does anyone have an opinion on him? I imagine him somewhat as a slightly less capable Ladhams, but have no idea if that's correct.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    The best we have looked for mine, was Martin in ruck, and the 3 headed monster up fwd. I think this balanced our team better.
    What I don’t like seeing is English in ruck and the 2 headed monster, in turn, leaving a one headed monster when English is on the bench, and Bruce is rucking.

I wonder if Bruce’s poor form lately has anything to do with the fact he’s being pulled from the fwd line to ruck, then having to get back into the groove again. Maybe he finds this difficult.
    This is a very valid observation and hypothesis from my perspective.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Ladhams is the best option in that way of thinking. Doesn't need to be a ruck to be involved, and covers the ground well.

Mabior Chol seems to cover the ground well, and i believe is an UFA, does anyone have an opinion on him? I imagine him somewhat as a slightly less capable Ladhams, but have no idea if that's correct.
    Ladhams has a bit of Rowan Marshall about him, and I would be ecstatic to have Rowan Marshall in our team. But Ladhams would be cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post

I think he's got some ability and some nice skills but is even less physical of a ruckman than English is (and not as good of one either). He would frustrate us so badly and doesn't really fit our needs.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I think with JUH coming in and hopefully doing enough to hold his spot we don't need English in the forward line like we did earlier in the season. JUH will no doubt have games where he doesn't kick 3 goals but so did English when he was there and Martin was playing. English is getting better all the time in the ruck, the job he did against Nic Nat shows that. I prefer English dropping into defence and taking intercept marks tbh. If we can get Schache (I know we've tried) or JUH to hold down that 3rd tall forward then our ruck situation isn't as critical as it seems. English kicked 3 goals twice this year against North and against Brisbane when we had Martin. JUH kicked 3 in his 2nd game.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

10. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    I think with JUH coming in and hopefully doing enough to hold his spot we don't need English in the forward line like we did earlier in the season. JUH will no doubt have games where he doesn't kick 3 goals but so did English when he was there and Martin was playing. English is getting better all the time in the ruck, the job he did against Nic Nat shows that. I prefer English dropping into defence and taking intercept marks tbh. If we can get Schache (I know we've tried) or JUH to hold down that 3rd tall forward then our ruck situation isn't as critical as it seems. English kicked 3 goals twice this year against North and against Brisbane when we had Martin. JUH kicked 3 in his 2nd game.
    Looks like Bevo is experimenting tomorrow night (in the wet) with the tall team option. English, Naughton, Bruce, Ugle-Hagan and Schache all playing.