Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  190
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 23 Vs Port Adelaide 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Yep, 100% its shut.
    We get our ball use up in still conditions, that’s one part of beating them.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Then I wonder who is filling the Bruce role shuffle? If Naughton goes up to top dog in the forward line who is taking his role.

Maybe we've restructured I don't know it's a real spanner in the works.

Hopefully we can kick a score tonight without Bruce to build our confidence that we can.
    I think it has to be a different structure. We don't really have anyone that plays the same as Bruce and we certainly haven't selected a side that is attempting to structure the forward line up in the same way. Hopefully we at least get the ball inside 50 enough tonight to see if it is any chance of succeeding.

4. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I think it has to be a different structure. We don't really have anyone that plays the same as Bruce and we certainly haven't selected a side that is attempting to structure the forward line up in the same way. Hopefully we at least get the ball inside 50 enough tonight to see if it is any chance of succeeding.
    It isn’t the way I would have done it but I think we are trying to overwhelm them at ground level. When you look back I think we had Weightman x 3, JJ x 2, McNeil x 1, Bont x 2, Hannan x 1 last time we played them. Most of those were ground level scraps or pace getting out the back. Port are quite big at the moment so will be interesting to see which style wins out.

If we do get our clearance game back then it’s equally important we get out front half pressure game back. Critical that we can keep it in our half and generate stoppage and turnover goals.

6. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    It isn’t the way I would have done it but I think we are trying to overwhelm them at ground level. When you look back I think we had Weightman x 3, JJ x 2, McNeil x 1, Bont x 2, Hannan x 1 last time we played them. Most of those were ground level scraps or pace getting out the back. Port are quite big at the moment so will be interesting to see which style wins out.

If we do get our clearance game back then it’s equally important we get out front half pressure game back. Critical that we can keep it in our half and generate stoppage and turnover goals.
    Ross Lyon on Footy Classified during the week pointed out that Port press very high and flat. The good teams have been able to pick through their zone and get them out the back. Perhaps that is part of what we are trying to achieve.

8. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ross Lyon on Footy Classified during the week pointed out that Port press very high and flat. The good teams have been able to pick through their zone and get them out the back. Perhaps that is part of what we are trying to achieve.
    They have 5 defenders over 188cm and Jonas who plays as a tall is the shortest of those. My concern is getting it to ground level in our front half in the first place. Same concern for winning it back in our half, I don’t see much aerial threat in the back half to generate ball movement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    They have 5 defenders over 188cm and Jonas who plays as a tall is the shortest of those. My concern is getting it to ground level in our front half in the first place. Same concern for winning it back in our half, I don’t see much aerial threat in the back half to generate ball movement.
    Their defence doesn't hold many fears from my point of view. Of course if we bomb it long and allow Aliir to rack up intercept marks it will end badly. He is susceptible one on one though, I would be happy to see him isolated on Naughton. Otherwise Jonas and McKenzie are undersized KPDs and Burton and Burgman might be around the 190cm mark but don't really play tall.

Naughton and English when down there may be able to catch a few contested marks but we are going to need smart ball use and relentless pressure to score the majority of our goals.

11. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Their defence doesn't hold many fears from my point of view. Of course if we bomb it long and allow Aliir to rack up intercept marks it will end badly. He is susceptible one on one though, I would be happy to see him isolated on Naughton. Otherwise Jonas and McKenzie are undersized KPDs and Burton and Burgman might be around the 190cm mark but don't really play tall.

Naughton and English when down there may be able to catch a few contested marks but we are going to need smart ball use and relentless pressure to score the majority of our goals.
    On the flip side would our forward line hold any fears for them? Naughton is hit and miss and really seems to only impact games in the second half. Last year we really struggled to create goals and it appears the same thing is happening again in the back half of the season. Bruce is a big loss more for structure if anything else.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

13. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    On the flip side would our forward line hold any fears for them? Naughton is hit and miss and really seems to only impact games in the second half. Last year we really struggled to create goals and it appears the same thing is happening again in the back half of the season. Bruce is a big loss more for structure if anything else.
    The difference in the scoring in the first half versus the back half is the scores against North and Saints. Last week was our worst performance for the year and lowest score.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't matter what happens in either 50, tonight will be won and lost by the mids. Our group is insanely talented and deep, and also out of form. I back them in rediscover their best footy tonight and for the remainder of the season. It is our clear strategic advantage over the other finals aspirants.

We win or lose tonight and for the rest of the season based on the performance of our mids.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Doesn't matter what happens in either 50, tonight will be won and lost by the mids. Our group is insanely talented and deep, and also out of form. I back them in rediscover their best footy tonight and for the remainder of the season. It is our clear strategic advantage over the other finals aspirants.
    But midfield brilliance is a must.

We win or lose tonight and for the rest of the season based on the performance of our mids.
    Agreed.
    Still I want Naughton to mature as of now and take big responsibility for his assets.
    I want Naughton to stand up but he is only 20 yo.
    Opportunity knocks for all our forwards to thread their chances or die by the sword.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

Not sure if you mean 'doesn't matter' as a throwaway line but I kind of agree. Thing is:
    1/ obviously it does matter a bit!
    2/ it has a flow on effect if we are struggling to reward our mids work.

But I agree that really, it mostly comes down to our mid consistently offering us an advantage. That's how we will score. Beat the door down.

Post Thanks / Like

We have been top two for most of the year. We lost to Richmond by playing a terrible 2nd half. We played a poor first quarter against Melbourne then matched them for 3. We beat then comfortably in the re-match. It took a kick after the siren for Geelong to beat us. The Swans had our measure. We butchered many easy goals against Essendon whereas they could not miss. However, we were hapless in our last outing against Hawthorn.

To all those who are saying they expect at the least a finals win, I say 'you're very easily pleased'. I expect a lot more than that. I will be very dismayed if we do not win tonight and go into the finals full of confidence. Go Dogs!
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Not sure if you mean 'doesn't matter' as a throwaway line but I kind of agree. Thing is:
    1/ obviously it does matter a bit!
    2/ it has a flow on effect if we are struggling to reward our mids work.

But I agree that really, it mostly comes down to our mid consistently offering us an advantage. That's how we will score. Beat the door down.
    Yeah it does matter a bit, but if our mids go to work and create 60+ I50's and restrict the opposition to sub 40 as well as smash them in clearances as we did most of the first 15 weeks, it will make a massive difference to the result tonight and also in September.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

No late changes.

Josh Schache and Sam Mayes are the subs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    No late changes.

Josh Schache and Sam Mayes are the subs.
    That's a good sub for us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"