Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  171
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Melbourne Narrative

Just getting a little weary of all the 'poor Melbourne', 'get behind Melbourne' narrative - yes, already.

OK - so they haven't won a flag since 196-something. (I don't actually care).

BUT:

- The Melbourne supporters/members voted their own club out of existence during the Hawthorn merger phase. Don Scott didn't just save the Hawks - his refusal to accept the merger effectively saved Melbourne as well.

- This is a club that ACTIVELY tried to lose games. They tried to lose. Sure, the AFL gave them a token fine, selected Chris Connolly and Dean Bailey as the 'fall guys' and swept it under the carpet...but they tanked, they cheated, they brought disgrace on themselves AND the competition.

People should not feel sorry for Melbourne. In short, they deserve EVERYTHING they get. Those 'poor supporters'? Yeah - they voted to fold their club. A club that initiated a policy of losing ON PURPOSE in order to manipulate the draft.

If there is any justice, they should have to wait another 50 years.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Melbourne Narrative

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Just getting a little weary of all the 'poor Melbourne', 'get behind Melbourne' narrative - yes, already.

BUT:

- The Melbourne supporters/members voted their own club out of existence during the Hawthorn merger phase. Don Scott didn't just save the Hawks - his refusal to accept the merger effectively saved Melbourne as well.

- This is a club that ACTIVELY tried to lose games. They tried to lose. Sure, the AFL gave them a token fine, selected Chris Connolly and Dean Bailey as the 'fall guys' and swept it under the carpet...but they tanked, they cheated, they brought disgrace on themselves AND the competition.

People should not feel sorry for Melbourne. In short, they deserve EVERYTHING they get. Those 'poor supporters'? Yeah - they voted to fold their club. A club that initiated a policy of losing ON PURPOSE in order to manipulate the draft.

Absolutely agree.

As much as I enjoyed spoiling the party last night I will enjoy breaking the hearts of Melbourne fans so much more.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

3. Likes DOG GOD, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whilst they’ve had virtually everything go their way this year. Virtually no injuries, and rescheduled games going in their favour. Haven’t even been tested in the finals series.

While we have been fighting serious injuries to gun players all year, playing nearly everyone on the list, and had to travel all over this country. We’ve had the acid on us the last three weeks and proved we are fighters.

But yeah, the narrative is set so the contrast will get lost. The next 13 days will be this. The commentary will be it too.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am happy for them to be the favourites, sentimental or otherwise. Nice to go in underdogs.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes GVGjr, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really, really do not like the Dees. You only need to go to one of their games in the MCC and if you don’t feel the same already you will afterwards.

Capo dog alt right elitist pig shit scum sucking fasho wankers the lot of them.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne represents the establishment. Old money, privilege and entitlement. The Bulldogs represent the opposite. The working class, the battlers, those who are not born with a silver spoon in their mouth. I don't know how you build a narrative that is "poor old Melbourne".

10. Likes DOG GOD, Twodogs, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Entitled lot that had everything handed to them vs battlers who were made to fight for a walk and a training session. We’re playing off in the biggest game of the year. Even not knowing who is who, I know who I would back and put my hard earned on. Here’s hoping it pans out that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Melbourne represents the establishment. Old money, privilege and entitlement. The Bulldogs represent the opposite. The working class, the battlers, those who are not born with a silver spoon in their mouth. I don't know how you build a narrative that is "poor old Melbourne".
    It's funny how the establishment manages to do this all the time! Over and over again.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Comedian Dave Thornton

AFL 2021 Grand Final
    Teams: Melbourne v Doggies
    Supporters: Landlords v Tenants

Either way someone's not getting their bond back
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's funny how the establishment manages to do this all the time! Over and over again.
    Melbourne (also like Carlton) had every advantage in the world. Wealth, supporters, prestige. Both clubs from a position on top of the world shot themselves in the foot via mainly hubris. Never recovered from sacking Norm Smith. He led them to six Premierships in 10 years and they sacked him. They sacked him the year after they won the flag. They didn't play in another final after that until 1987 (under Smith they played in 11 consecutive final series).

15. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s a good set of points. You’ve convinced me mjp, we simply have to win in 2 weeks time!

Post Thanks / Like

I hate Tories, so naturally I hate Melbourne.

We're going to win.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

BUT:

Don't forget they were provided with a coach and a CEO/administrative staff and draft choices they weren't strictly entitled to because apparently we couldn't have the club that carried the Melbourne name face up to the consequences of their own ineptitude.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

19. Likes The bulldog tragician, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Their coach also "got on the good gear" from Stephen Dank during the Essendon doping scandal. How he has managed to skate out of that is one of the more notable Teflon-coated performances in recent memory.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Expect blood discharge from your ears with Roos no doubt doing the rounds. BMac can take credit for whichever contested midfield wins too.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

22. Likes jeemak, azabob, Sedat liked this post