Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  137
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL reaches in-principle agreement with Tasmania for 19th team

https://www.afl.com.au/news/866720/a...-for-19th-team

TASMANIA'S government and the AFL have reached an in-principle agreement on commercial terms of the state's bid for a 19th licence, but the timeline around a final decision remains unclear.
    AFL boss Gillon McLachlan and Tasmanian Premier Jeremy Rockliff announced the agreement on Friday in Hobart, describing it as a "great step forward".

The Tasmanian government's funding commitment includes $12 million per year over 12 years, plus $60 million towards a high-performance and administration complex.
    McLachlan indicated an announcement on Tasmania's bid was "close" but wouldn't specify a timeframe or commit to sealing the deal before his tenure as chief executive finishes at the end of the year.

"The decision requires the support of our AFL clubs and we are having productive discussions there," he said.
    "In recent days we've come a long way with our clubs.
    "They've had detailed information around every aspect of the bid. We've got generally very positive feedback."
    It appears the final piece of the puzzle is locking in funding for the construction of a new stadium on Hobart's waterfront, which could carry a price tag of $750 million.

The state Liberal government has promised to fund half of the stadium, with the remainder of the cash to be sought from the federal government, private sector involvement and equity raising.
    Rockliff said the state government had finalised a stadium business case and would soon take it to the federal government.

The stadium proposal does not have universal backing in Tasmania, with the state Labor opposition and the Greens among those opposed.
    "Every change that we make in the AFL has people who have different views and I would ask them to look at the bigger picture. It's our obligation to lead," McLachlan said.
    Meanwhile, Hawthorn has inked a new one-year deal to play home games in Tasmania.
    The Hawks will host four matches in Launceston next season, having first played games in the Apple Isle in 2001.

"We are delighted to be extending our time in Tasmania, while at the same time also continuing our support for their pursuit of their own AFL team," Hawthorn CEO Justin Reeves said.
    "Having first played in Tasmania in 2001, this is a tremendous outcome for our passionate Tasmanian members.
    "The relationship Hawthorn has with the Tasmanian Government is incredibly strong, and to extend our partnership for another season is a testament to those ties."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL reaches in-principle agreement with Tasmania for 19th team

Big question if this goes ahead. Do we have weekly byes? Do we introduce a 20th team? Do we eliminate an existing team?

Happy for Tasmanians to get their own team and hopefully it props up the development of local footy and bring talent back into the pathways and the league itself

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Big question if this goes ahead. Do we have weekly byes? Do we introduce a 20th team? Do we eliminate an existing team?

Happy for Tasmanians to get their own team and hopefully it props up the development of local footy and bring talent back into the pathways and the league itself
    My guess is we have byes at least for a bit, like with Suns/GWS. Surely a 20th team comes in sometime. Just might take a while. Think it's too late in the piece to relocate an existing club to Tassie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    My guess is we have byes at least for a bit, like with Suns/GWS. Surely a 20th team comes in sometime. Just might take a while. Think it's too late in the piece to relocate an existing club to Tassie.
    Then we can have a completely unbiased draw with 20 rounds right !? Everyone plays each other once, alternate home games every 2 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Then we can have a completely unbiased draw with 20 rounds right !? Everyone plays each other once, alternate home games every 2 years.
    19 game season has a lot of merit. Have a top 6 with a week off before finals, and 7-10 playing off in a wildcard finals round.

Who gets the 20th license?
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    19 game season has a lot of merit. Have a top 6 with a week off before finals, and 7-10 playing off in a wildcard finals round.

Who gets the 20th license?
    Good question. Could WA/SA sustain a third side?

Post Thanks / Like

Rumour for a number of years has been for a third side in Perth, which makes total sense.

8. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there anywhere to access a complete list of current AFL players from Tasmania? I certainly wouldn't be drafting one this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Is there anywhere to access a complete list of current AFL players from Tasmania? I certainly wouldn't be drafting one this year.
    I'm not sure where but I think there must be something around.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the current AFL-listed Tasmanian players...

Adelaide
    Chayce Jones

Brisbane
    None.

Carlton
    None.

Collingwood
    Jeremy Howe
    Brody Mihocek
    Isaac Chugg

Essendon
    Jye Menzie
    Andrew Phillips

Fremantle
    Alex Pearce

Geelong
    Jake Kolodjashnij

Gold Coast
    Lachie Weller

GWS
    None.

Hawthorn
    None.

Melbourne
    Ben Brown

North Melbourne
    Aaron Hall
    Tarryn Thomas
    Hugh Greenwood

Port Adelaide
    None.

Richmond
    Sam Banks
    Toby Nankervis
    Jack Riewoldt
    Rhyan Mansell

St Kilda
    Jimmy Webster

Sydney
    Robbie Fox

West Coast
    None.

Western Bulldogs
    Ryan Gardner
    Liam Jones

https://www.zerohanger.com/which-afl...smania-130042/

12. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks GG, I don't think clubs will be overly concerned about the go home factor on this list.
    Will it force a reconsider on Tassie players this year? I hope not.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the NT would be the 20th team. The AFL would have to prop it up for quite a while one would think.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Thanks GG, I don't think clubs will be overly concerned about the go home factor on this list.
    Will it force a reconsider on Tassie players this year? I hope not.
    Agree there's not much to worry about although Richmond won't want to lose Nank. Shame for Riewoldt that he will likely miss out by a year or two, would have been an excellent inaugural captain for them.

I think clubs would have absolutely been considering the impact of a Tasmanian team on drafting Tassie boys. Why would you draft a guy who you would anticipate is highly likely to leave in a couple of years?

Post Thanks / Like

Agree there's not much to worry about although Richmond won't want to lose Nank. Shame for Riewoldt that he will likely miss out by a year or two, would have been an excellent inaugural captain for them.

I think clubs would have absolutely been considering the impact of a Tasmanian team on drafting Tassie boys. Why would you draft a guy who you would anticipate is highly likely to leave in a couple of years?
    The deal still has to get done. For a young person moving to one of the bigger cities could be very tempting for them.
    I get it's a consideration for clubs but they should back their culture to keep them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Good question. Could WA/SA sustain a third side?
    WA couldn't.

Corporate support from one morally bankrupt mining company or another (Freo have Woodside, West Coast have Mineral Resources) will be there but there isn't the on-the-ground support for another team. Optus holds what? 65k? 70K?? The 3rd team would need to play 'somewhere else' 'cos crowds would be in the 10-15 range.

SA would probs be the reverse - able to generate crowds but battling for the $ from corporates...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

18. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest, Grantysghost liked this post