Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  91
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Fans and the booing of players

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    The expectation that POCs have to educate racists on how to not be racist is some dumb circular logic victim blaming ludicrous bullshit.

Booing players you have no relationship to is stupid and cringe. If you absolutely have to boo someone then go watch pro wrestling. This topic is exhausting.
    Maybe rape victims should have to educate their rapists too while we are at it.
    The curse is dead.

2. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    So Goodes shouldn't point out someone being racist towards him?

Maybe JUH should have just sucked it up too.
    I don't buy the age of the person saying racial slurs being something the victim of those comments needs to consider. It was a night game and it's a fair assumption to believe she was there with parental supervision. I'm not sure the young lady had received the appropriate education parents need to instill in their children.

Good point about Marra
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    He said we can choose to get angry .. he did get angry . Pointing out a child in a crowd isn’t bringing the community together it’s causing more problems . Fact is he wasn’t booed for race it was the double leg slide that started the booing.
    Booing is not racist . It’s a bit like lidia Thorpes claims about racism then becomes racist herself.
    First things first, are you suggesting that the solution is to ignore racist abuse?

Secondly, my daughter was almost as tall as me when she was 12. It shouldn't be up to Adam to figure out how old she is. He's got every right to call out racist abuse if no one around the perpetrators will.

Third, on the 'slide tackle' excuse, the idea that this justified league-wide booing is flat out ridiculous.

Lastly, maybe if white Australians had the balls to call out friends and family members for racist abuse, then people wouldn't have to worry about being offended by imaginary spears depicted in traditional dances.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    I don't purport to speak for Ledge. The premise of the extract is that Australia is a racist country. The first sentence of the second paragraph excepted, it's especially evident in that and the penultimate paragraph. If Ledge takes umbrage at that premise, then "bagging Australians" is reasonable.
    I hate to break it to you, but Australia has a history of racism that:

1) It has never really come to terms with
    2) Has its remnants that exist far more prominently today than we should.

If you're interpreting an indigenous man asking people to educate family and friends about racism as "bagging Australians", then I'm afraid that Adam Goodes isn't the one with the thin skin here.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone watch Ted Lasso last night ie episode 9 of current series. Hopefully players don't need to react like they did in that episode.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I hate to break it to you, but Australia has a history of racism that:

1) It has never really come to terms with
    2) Has its remnants that exist far more prominently today than we should.
    Apologies for going off-topic, but I doubt there is a single country in the world today that hasn't had a violent history of racism and/or discrimination against certain sectors of their society based on nothing more than their immutable characteristics. There are laws in place in Australia that criminalise any form of racism, which is light years ahead of the vast majority of countries in the world today. And that is why massive numbers of migrants and POC are desperately wanting to make Australia home - would they honestly do so if there was any truth in the broad (and fundamentally incorrect) assessment of Australia in 2023 being a racist hell-hole? It's just not the case, despite the media amplifying every single isolated case for clicks because race is a dynamic hot-button topic for them.

As a second-generation Australian of migrant background who grew up in an almost exclusively Anglo Saxon country town, I can tell you first-hand racism in this country has virtually disappeared compared to a generation ago. That doesn't mean people shouldn't call it out when it still happens, but the self-loathing from the inner city echo chamber does nothing to alleviate the issue.

Goodes had every right to call out the racism he received. If Buddy does receive it, he will also have every right to call it out as well.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

9. Likes Grantysghost, D Mitchell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Apologies for going off-topic, but I doubt there is a single country in the world today that hasn't had a violent history of racism and/or discrimination against certain sectors of their society based on nothing more than their immutable characteristics. There are laws in place in Australia that criminalise any form of racism, which is light years ahead of the vast majority of countries in the world today. And that is why massive numbers of migrants and POC are desperately wanting to make Australia home - would they honestly do so if there was any truth in the broad (and fundamentally incorrect) assessment of Australia in 2023 being a racist hell-hole? It's just not the case, despite the media amplifying every single isolated case for clicks because race is a dynamic hot-button topic for them.

As a second-generation Australian of migrant background who grew up in an almost exclusively Anglo Saxon country town, I can tell you first-hand racism in this country has virtually disappeared compared to a generation ago. That doesn't mean people shouldn't call it out when it still happens, but the self-loathing from the inner city echo chamber does nothing to alleviate the issue.

Goodes had every right to call out the racism he received. If Buddy does receive it, he will also have every right to call it out as well.
    I'm third generation of migrant background and I can assure you without a shadow of a doubt that racism hasn't even come CLOSE to disappearing in this country. If declaring that makes me part of an inner-city echo chamber then fine.

11. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, hujsh, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love all the opinions, some really smart commentators on here more than anywhere.

Just getting the feels it's maybe descending a tad into territory woof doesn't need to go

13. Thanks D Mitchell thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I'm third generation of migrant background and I can assure you without a shadow of a doubt that racism hasn't even come CLOSE to disappearing in this country. If declaring that makes me part of an inner-city echo chamber then fine.
    You have every right to keep calling it out when it happens against you, and it sucks that it keeps doing so.

I personally feel like racism on the whole has virtually disappeared compared to 30-40 years ago - the media demand for it certainly outweighs the supply in 2023. Others are more than free to disagree.

I worry the genie is out of the bottle now with regard to Buddy - as SOS and 1ED have surmised, I suspect there will be a handful of dickheads at every game from now on that will boo him every week.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

15. Likes D Mitchell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    You have every right to keep calling it out when it happens against you, and it sucks that it keeps doing so.

I personally feel like racism on the whole has virtually disappeared compared to 30-40 years ago - the media demand for it certainly outweighs the supply in 2023. Others are more than free to disagree.

I worry the genie is out of the bottle now with regard to Buddy - as SOS and 1ED have surmised, I suspect there will be a handful of dickheads at every game from now on that will boo him every week.
    I'm not doubting for a moment that we've come a long way, but recent experiences, both my own and those of my 11 year old son, tell me we've still got a hell of a long way to go.

Even then, I would never pretend to believe that my experience allows me to speak about racism on the same level as First Nations people.

There's still an active distrust that exists and not without reason. The conversations need to keep happening. When those conversations involve loved ones they're even tougher. But it's the only way forward, and when it comes to racism, standing still is moving backwards.

17. Likes josie, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a bit insensitive to the families of those who either lost their lives or were maimed as a result of Adam Goodes' invisible spear.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1661952387068891136
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    This is a bit insensitive to the families of those who either lost their lives or were maimed as a result of Adam Goodes' invisible spear.

Damnit you beat me to it!

20. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Is it just me or do statues never actually do the person justice.

3d print something why are we obsessed with statues!

Post Thanks / Like

If I was a Carlton fan I’d boo Mackay.

23. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    If I was a Carlton fan I’d boo Mackay.
    He has lost the plot
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.