Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bont behind the ball?

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    N Daicos is an interesting one because that's who I'm envisioning as well - does he roam on his own accord or do McRae and co move him around in-game where he'll have most impact?

From what I'd seen earlier in the year, it felt like he'd start behind the ball - if he was getting worked over by a defensive forward he'd move on-ball and lose his player in congestion or they'd send him forward and funnel ball through him that way. It's never felt like he had a 'set' position - they just put him where the biggest fire was and where he could get more footy - but I always thought those moves were coming out of the coaches box.

We've used Bont a lot more traditionally - inside mid who will rest forward, whereas maybe there's more capacity to use him in the way that you suggest. During the first quarter last night when we're clearly struggling to transition from D50 in the first half, send him down to play as a dedicated half-bank flanker and bring Smith or Macrae up on-ball.
    Daicos is very young he will be guided by the coach at the moment but I would say he already has been given some free run to do what he feels.
    In the end his own knowledge of reading the game will tell him where he is needed in his head he doesn’t need the coach to tell him.
    I would say Bont thinks ahead of Bevo anyway and has already summed up and done what Bevo wants before Bevo gets the idea in his head .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Daicos is very young he will be guided by the coach at the moment but I would say he already has been given some free run to do what he feels.
    In the end his own knowledge of reading the game will tell him where he is needed in his head he doesn’t need the coach to tell him.
    I would say Bont thinks ahead of Bevo anyway and has already summed up and done what Bevo wants before Bevo gets the idea in his head .
    The coach has confidence in his decision making skills and gives him a bit of scope on how he wants him to play.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Or. Forward pocket.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes lemmon, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bont anywhere will do

6. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Three Bonts. One behind the ball. One in front of the ball. One on the ball.

8. Likes bulldogtragic, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a moment last night where Bont messed up a handball or something, really minor in the scheme of things. The ball went back the other way and he had every right to take a breath and jog it out.. next second he comes charging back through a scrum of players and forces a turnover. The guy is just breathtaking to watch.

The talk about Daicos is fine but surely this is Bont’s Brownlow year. Daicos looks elite partly because he’s so young, Bont has been elite for years and somehow keeps driving his game to new heights.

10. Likes Grantysghost, EasternWest, GVGjr, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bont is at least 4 years away from this.

Bont is clearly the best player in the comp and after a mid-season trough is now absolutely flying.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post