Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vs Melbourne - Slaps and Sledges

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Our team is looking okay and i can see the way Eade is going, once it clicks life will be good, just be patient, its going to be a repeat of last year in reverse, where we get better and dont fall away at the business end.
    I get that sense too. We wont know until after the break, but I dare say the entire pre-season is geared towards the final 7+ games in the lead up to finals football.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Gia's an obvious scapegoat because most of his strengths aren't flashy -- finding space, providing an outlet, controlling the pace of the game, making the ball do the work, bringing other players into the game -- and your average AFL fan doesn't really know how to watch or appreciate the tactical side of things yet (thus the booing when a team switches back to go across the ground, or changes the pace and slow things down when they are trying to arrest the other team's momentum).

In soccer, Gia would be seen as a gem of a midfielder who controls games and brings out the best in others. AFL fans prefer the guys who run around like headless chooks picking up multiple possessions by giving off cheap one-twos and outrunning their opponents and smashing into packs even though they often aren't of any real benefit (apart from those who know how to do it, like Archer and Judd and Carey).

Coaches know how to appreciate a player like Gia though, which is why he is rated so highly inside the kennel.

ps. players like Gia are actually crucial to busting zones because they know how to find and work in limited space (thus the criticism of him 'hanging on the wing', and his disposal, while simple, is often really, really effective -- go back and watch our win against Hawthorn last year and see who it is who is usually providing the last or second last pass into the forward 50. These guys can read space like a book, but there are no stats for footy smarts.
    Great post. Spot on the mark.

Post Thanks / Like

AFL fans prefer the guys who run around like headless chooks picking up multiple possessions by giving off cheap one-twos and outrunning their opponents and smashing into packs even though they often aren't of any real benefit (apart from those who know how to do it, like Archer and Judd and Carey).
    I'd probably get slammed for this on other sites but you have just described Pendlebury brilliantly. He is honestly the most useless possession getting in the game IMO.

I saw him handball twice in 10 seconds yesterday for a net gain of -1 metre and his team mate being under pressure. Not only were the 2 handballs completely useless he actually had a free kick at the time and still decided to handball uselessly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I'd probably get slammed for this on other sites but you have just described Pendlebury brilliantly. He is honestly the most useless possession getting in the game IMO.

I saw him handball twice in 10 seconds yesterday for a net gain of -1 metre and his team mate being under pressure. Not only were the 2 handballs completely useless he actually had a free kick at the time and still decided to handball uselessly.
    Brett Deledio is also heading down this path - Super Coach footy is what my mates and I call it. Some players manage to look very stylish passing the ball 15 metres to a free but stationery target for no net gain to the team. Or beter still the give and get via handball before dishing of the inconsequential lateral 15 metre kick to the stationery target.

Forgot to mention it previously, but I thought the Eagle was worthy of a slap on Saturday. Ran very hard both ways and actually put himself between the ball and the opposition on a couple of occasions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post

I think you're a little harsh on Pendlebury there. He's usually very good with his hands and his decision making in traffic.

Deledio is also a pretty good player. He might not be playing a good role at the moment, but he's playing in a crap team and being used in roles where he probably isn't as effective. If he played in our team right now, I guarantee we'd all be singing his praises. Good overhead, good ball use, decision making, speed.

Only problem for him is Foley is out for form and Richmond have no other decent midfielders, so he cops the #1 tag most weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Gia's an obvious scapegoat because most of his strengths aren't flashy -- finding space, providing an outlet, controlling the pace of the game, making the ball do the work, bringing other players into the game -- and your average AFL fan doesn't really know how to watch or appreciate the tactical side of things yet (thus the booing when a team switches back to go across the ground, or changes the pace and slow things down when they are trying to arrest the other team's momentum).

In soccer, Gia would be seen as a gem of a midfielder who controls games and brings out the best in others. AFL fans prefer the guys who run around like headless chooks picking up multiple possessions by giving off cheap one-twos and outrunning their opponents and smashing into packs even though they often aren't of any real benefit (apart from those who know how to do it, like Archer and Judd and Carey).

Coaches know how to appreciate a player like Gia though, which is why he is rated so highly inside the kennel.

ps. players like Gia are actually crucial to busting zones because they know how to find and work in limited space (thus the criticism of him 'hanging on the wing', and his disposal, while simple, is often really, really effective -- go back and watch our win against Hawthorn last year and see who it is who is usually providing the last or second last pass into the forward 50. These guys can read space like a book, but there are no stats for footy smarts.
    Right on the money.

Kick it! KICK IT!! KICK IT!!!

Why did he kick it to 3 of them? He's hopeless!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Deledio is also a pretty good player. He might not be playing a good role at the moment, but he's playing in a crap team and being used in roles where he probably isn't as effective. If he played in our team right now, I guarantee we'd all be singing his praises. Good overhead, good ball use, decision making, speed.

Only problem for him is Foley is out for form and Richmond have no other decent midfielders, so he cops the #1 tag most weeks.
    I reckon Deledio is a super player in the making but he has definitely developed some bad habits. Virtually every possession he collects is uncontested - that's all well and good if you're Andrew Lovett and you run 30 metres and distribute it by foot to a target 50 metres upfield. But Deledio is accumulating the ball in space and distributing it without any genuine impact. At least Pendlebury moves well in traffic and makes the opposition player come at him before dishing off - Deledio rarely even gets himself into congested areas lately.

Post Thanks / Like

I though Harbrow was really good yesterday... Did he look bad on Tv or something? Thought he played a good role for us and hit the target by foot very well.

Born & Bred Guest

Why did Gia run into open goal in the last quarter and dribble it off the side of his foot instead of kicking through the ball on either his right or left foot for a goal/behind? In addition, the bulldogs beat Hawthorn 12 months ago. Last year was good but we all want this year to be great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Born & Bred View Post
    Why did Gia run into open goal in the last quarter and dribble it off the side of his foot instead of kicking through the ball on either his right or left foot for a goal/behind? In addition, the bulldogs beat Hawthorn 12 months ago. Last year was good but we all want this year to be great.
    That is a very stupid habit that a lot of players in the AFL seem to be picking up and Gia is no exception. For the life of me I can't understand why players do this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    I think you're a little harsh on Pendlebury there. He's usually very good with his hands and his decision making in traffic.
    He is good with his hands but I would very very much question his decision making in general. He demands the ball in wrong spots and often tries short stupid kicks which are of no benefit and generally aren't marked by his teammate. I'm not saying he isn't a good player but he is definitely one of the players that Lantern has described. I have the misfortune of having to watch the Pies every week and it pains me to see as he could be so much better. He is still 5x better than Daisy though.