Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  249
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: James Harmes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: James Harmes

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I am seeing a lot of angst about this but I am not sure why.
    I am currently overseas and have had a message from a Melbourne supporting mate telling me I should be happy and he is disappointed.
    What I have see across the trade threads is that we basically should decide that we are no longer in contention and should be trying to rebuild for maybe 3 to 5 years time.
    Personally I want to see us improve with a view that we can win in 2024.
    If we look at Collingwood 2021, we are better than they were.
    Maybe I wanted a new coach, but since that is not happening I simply want a better team.
    Harmes is an improvement on Hannan from 2023.
    Let's just set ourselves up to win the thing
    Same I have Melbourne mates messaging me he is a great pick up for us. He's tough and has a crack but can also play. They seem to think he needs to freshen up and some really good players are keeping him out of a specific position in the team. My mates think the team plays better when he is playing.

Harmes is probably better than about 8 players we played last year.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I am seeing a lot of angst about this but I am not sure why.
    I am currently overseas and have had a message from a Melbourne supporting mate telling me I should be happy and he is disappointed.
    What I have see across the trade threads is that we basically should decide that we are no longer in contention and should be trying to rebuild for maybe 3 to 5 years time.
    Personally I want to see us improve with a view that we can win in 2024.
    If we look at Collingwood 2021, we are better than they were.
    Maybe I wanted a new coach, but since that is not happening I simply want a better team.
    Harmes is an improvement on Hannan from 2023.
    Let's just set ourselves up to win the thing
    Funnily enough when I messaged my son in England to let him know he said "Harmes? That's a good pick up for us"

Maybe some of us are a bit close to it and can't see the forest for the trees?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

3. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: James Harmes

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

Maybe some of us are a bit close to it and can't see the forest for the trees?
    Maybe .. since he chooses us over others

SEN
    WHY HARMES SHUNNED INTEREST FROM OTHER CLUBS TO REQUEST A TRADE TO THE BULLDOGS
    The 28-year-old was reportedly being chased by the likes of Richmond, Sydney, Carlton and Essendon but Harmes says he knew the Bulldogs were his preferred home after a meeting with coach Luke Beveridge and list manager Sam Power.

?I had a few clubs inquire about me,? Harmes told AFL Trade Radio.

?The reason I chose Bulldogs is when I caught up with Bevo (Luke Beveridge) and Sammy (Power) it felt right.

?I felt like I could really belong to this club and feel like they really believed in me.

?They do believe in me that I can be a really good AFL footballer and obviously last year was pretty challenging for me.

?I didn't have the greatest year, so I probably lost a bit of confidence.

?After the meeting, I felt like I walked out of there and they had a lot of confidence in me to become a really good footballer again.?

Harmes says the initial meeting with Beveridge and Power re-energised him and gave him the confidence that he could get back to his best at his new home.
    would that make us a destination club now?
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

5. Likes KT31, Dry Rot, Bulldog4life, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by choconmientay View Post
    Maybe .. since he chooses us over others

SEN
    WHY HARMES SHUNNED INTEREST FROM OTHER CLUBS TO REQUEST A TRADE TO THE BULLDOGS

would that make us a destination club now?
    Must be a mistake, players don't like us
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Must be a mistake, players don't like us
    Plus Bevo is flat and poison for anyone we're targeting, don't forget that. Did you see how flat he was at the Charlie Sutton night?

Before anyone jumps on me I'm just expressing a bit of frustration about what I think is partially a self-fulfilling narrative we have about ourselves.

It's mainly in jest, in the bits that don't count as mainly it's not. A chin up here and there wouldn't go astray.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

8. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes anfo27, bornadog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Harmes is behind a few players now at Dees either in midfield or at half-fwd.
    melkshem , mcVee, Van roeyee and with Pickett floating forward , it be a fwd half hard to crack

I hope he comes good , and provides the hard tackling fwd with good forward pressure

Let’s see how he fares .
    150 odd games , I guess half of them would have been in a Sh$&t Demons team until 2020

Interesting he nominated us ahead of other clubs below us .

10. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow I can't believe Harmes has 8 pages already! Family members are Melbourne supporters and I've watched a bit of him over the years and I've always thought he would be handy at the Dogs just with his grunt and the ability to play a role.

I'd love to see a world where the Bont doesn't finish 4th on tackles which would give him the ability to add a little more sheen in his game(stole sheen from Bevo) I thought this year he was forced a little too inside.

Like Acres, Harmes might be a little meh during the season but come finals time can be a different beast and I reckon supporters will be glad to have him on our side.

Like him or not he is a Bulldogs player now lets give him a go and support him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's such an important part of entering the trade and draft periods to really know what direction the club is capable of heading in and I do wonder if we are in a bit of denial with that aspect at times. We picked up a couple of experienced players last year and we've already added a player with 150 games of experience this year and the message that sends is we are chips in on contending.
    What we haven't been good at is delivering on that vision.
    We wouldn't trade for Harmes if we felt as though we were not contending. It doesn't make sense to bring a ready now role player if you are doing a rebuild/refresh.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    We wouldn't trade for Harmes if we felt as though we were not contending. It doesn't make sense to bring a ready now role player if you are doing a rebuild/refresh.
    What metric points to us contending?

The not making finals?

Or making it and being destroyed by Freo.

This is a land of make believe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Plus Bevo is flat and poison for anyone we're targeting, don't forget that. Did you see how flat he was at the Charlie Sutton night?

Before anyone jumps on me I'm just expressing a bit of frustration about what I think is partially a self-fulfilling narrative we have about ourselves.

It's mainly in jest, in the bits that don't count as mainly it's not. A chin up here and there wouldn't go astray.
    So contrived your contrarianism.

Maybe go to a game or talk to a player?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

The not making finals?

What about the metric of adding one goal a game in 2023 would have had us top 4.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

16. Likes bornadog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

The not making finals?

No doubt we've been terrible the last 2 years & defensively we've been embarrassing. Its more on the coaching group than the playing group for mine. Harmes gives us some toughness & thats under rated & much needed.

The real question is the coaching group going to get the best out of the playing group? I have my doubts especially since the perception is nobody seems keen to come.

Post Thanks / Like

What about the metric of adding one goal a game in 2023 would have had us top 4.
    Not with the shizen type of style we played.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Like Acres, Harmes might be a little meh during the season but come finals time can be a different beast and I reckon supporters will be glad to have him on our side.
    Is this code for relaxing in the stands while your teammates get chucked out in straight sets?

Because we could definitely use some of that. The whole actually playing finals bit I mean.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Like him or not he is a Bulldogs player now lets give him a go and support him.
    My initial thoughts were we don't need him, but looking at the trade ie a F3 (from GC), cheap.

Now that he is in RWB, I back him all the way
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

21. Likes anfo27 liked this post