Thanks Thanks:  35
Likes Likes:  74
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WOOF welcomes Aiden O'Driscoll to the Kennel

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Shouldn't we be looking at developing someone with pace to defend.

Could O'Driscoll fill a role like that. His leap for his size would also help.

The other possibility would be Artie Jones but someone needs to learn to defend in the backline, not just apply defensive pressure as a forward.
    I’m not sure how you defend in our forward line , you lead 10 Mtres away from your opponent and your team mate kicks it ten Mtres behind you straight to your opponent . Then all the other backs run off as we have all lead away. Our mids are amazing at hitting targets with different colours on.
    The Geelong game was an amazing effort to find Stewart 30 Mtres on his own a few times.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    With his terrific combination of speed and endurance we should be targeting him developing as a winger or perhaps as a high half forward more than a forward pocket. Our aim should be to maximise those attributes.
    I do think that high half forward is probably the way to go with him, focus on Clarke and Weightman as pockets and then O'Driscoll & Jones on the flanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    His best colts footy - and prob best school footy - has been as a running half-back. He had regular stints inside the game at colts level in 2022 and and school both this year and last.

He is more than a 'runner' and is exceptional below his knees - needs a LOT of work on body positioning and composure under pressure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Shouldn't we be looking at developing someone with pace to defend.

Could O'Driscoll fill a role like that. His leap for his size would also help.

The other possibility would be Artie Jones but someone needs to learn to defend in the backline, not just apply defensive pressure as a forward.
    He has the physical attributes if he can overcome the bolded bit above

Post Thanks / Like

If…

Arty & AOD are forwards with Cody & Charlie. Plus Sanders may have to play HF until he picks up the pace. If fit and accounting for a resting Bont & Adz down there who are genuine goal kickers and not resting there

Then….

Is that the end of the just chuck Macrae or Baz down there, or sure West & McNeil were drafted as mids, but they can be forwards too, so shove them there too?

If so, Macrae (& Smith) probably has to play on ball a lot more. West needs some mid time to see if he can make the grade there. McNeil either has to train with the mids or look to take the Duryea role, something as I’ve said Garcia should be doing too. No point putting these guys in wings when are are loaded for wingers now. Although not the highest grade ones just yet.

How does that change Bevo’s game plan?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If?

Arty & AOD are forwards with Cody & Charlie. Plus Sanders may have to play HF until he picks up the pace. If fit and accounting for a resting Bont & Adz down there who are genuine goal kickers and not resting there

Then?.

Is that the end of the just chuck Macrae or Baz down there, or sure West & McNeil were drafted as mids, but they can be forwards too, so shove them there too?

If so, Macrae (& Smith) probably has to play on ball a lot more. West needs some mid time to see if he can make the grade there. McNeil either has to train with the mids or look to take the Duryea role, something as I?ve said Garcia should be doing too. No point putting these guys in wings when are are loaded for wingers now. Although not the highest grade ones just yet.

How does that change Bevo?s game plan?
    What do we do with Bont? He is absolute top shelf elite in just about everything he does, but the rest of the senior players (Libba aside) sat and waited for Bont to kick-start most things for us last year. And having just turned 28, we need to protect and preserve his body so he can provide elite output well into his 30's like Pendlebury is doing.

Imagine a world where Smith, McCrae and Treloar (and now Harmes) support Libba and really excel in midfield/stoppages allowing the luxury of having Bont as a destructive player in the forward half of the ground for more extended periods in game - akin to a Petracca at Melbourne. How will oppo defences curtail Naughton, Marra, Bont, Lobb/English, with Cody and others (combination of Arty, AOD, Clarke) at the fall of the ball?
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

7. Likes bulldogtragic, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    What do we do with Bont? He is absolute top shelf elite in just about everything he does, but the ret of the senior players (Libba aside) sat and waited for Bont to kick-start most things for us last year. And having just turned 29, we need to protect and preserve his body so he can provide elite output well into his 30's like Pendlebury is doing.

Imagine a world where Smith, McCrae and Treloar (and now Harmes) support Libba and really excel in midfield/stoppages allowing the luxury of having Bont as a destructive player in the forward half of the ground for periods in game - akin to a Petracca at Melbourne. How will oppo defences curtail Naughton, Marra, Bont, English/Lobb, with Cody and others at the fall of the ball?
    When Bont wants, he kicks 3 in a quarter. Look at Adz 2021 GF, he has pace and can snap well. These guys can add another dimension for sure, if the next level can stand up. If Sanders could pinch hit in there, if Smith could be the player he thinks he is, if Macrae can re-discover his old self, if West could stand up with time in the middle, and if Daniel stays there, and Libba stay fit, then there should be enough talent in there to siphon off time forward for Adz & especially Bont. Bont especially is a headache for the match up of a defender or taking away a good midfielder to try to stop him.

As you say, it’s time for others to stand up. If they don’t Bont will be managing injury every second of every game and doing it all. If they do enough though, then the flow on to the 23 is huge. The year from Bont, Tim & Libba was immense and not good enough for finals. So I can’t wait to see some match sim and see if the new coaching group wants for something new. I imagine the forward coach wants some of Bont!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Likes Sedat, josie, Stevo, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think O'Driscoll was there at training today and his family might have been there as well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

11. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think O'Driscoll was there at training today and his family might have been there as well.
    Have a chat to his mum...she is a great lady. Don't get me wrong, his old man is great as well but he's quiet...once you meet his mum you'll understand his dad not saying too much is a learned behaviour!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Have a chat to his mum...she is a great lady. Don't get me wrong, his old man is great as well but he's quiet...once you meet his mum you'll understand his dad not saying too much is a learned behaviour!
    I assume they were there but probably only arrived last night and Aiden didn't train. They appeared to be given the grand tour so very much a meet and greet. If they're are around on Monday I'll try and say hello

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    What do we do with Bont? He is absolute top shelf elite in just about everything he does, but the rest of the senior players (Libba aside) sat and waited for Bont to kick-start most things for us last year. And having just turned 28, we need to protect and preserve his body so he can provide elite output well into his 30's like Pendlebury is doing.

Imagine a world where Smith, McCrae and Treloar (and now Harmes) support Libba and really excel in midfield/stoppages allowing the luxury of having Bont as a destructive player in the forward half of the ground for more extended periods in game - akin to a Petracca at Melbourne. How will oppo defences curtail Naughton, Marra, Bont, Lobb/English, with Cody and others (combination of Arty, AOD, Clarke) at the fall of the ball?
    We were too homogenous in the on ball set ups last year and it hurt the team, with flow on effects to individual players.

I've always said I would prefer Jackson to play pure on ball with Treloar in the high forward rolling up role. If we can get Jackson going with greater impact from Smith we'll free Bont up.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

15. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s a normal marriage lol
    Bring back the biff

17. Thanks Hot_Doggies thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    That’s a normal marriage lol
    Providing I can look at all the footy I want to I let my wife think she's the boss. Works like a charm.

19. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't this a nice touch?

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't want to run against them in a relay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uninformed View Post
    Wouldn't want to run against them in a relay.
    Who wins the grand final sprint, first out of the two?