Thanks Thanks:  253
Likes Likes:  1,494
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Oh FFS!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Double down on Sanders being our first rising star.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

3. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Heart-wrenching news. I feel so sorry for Bailey.

5. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Crappy news... was hoping that he would be one of the reasons we improved in '24.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Double down on Sanders being our first rising star.
    Trading up to get Sanders and bringing in Harmes are both looking very astute decisions now.

As big a blow as this is for Bailey and for us, through our off-season list management decisions we have given ourselves additional depth in the midfield to cover such an unfortunate eventuality.

Also, and as brutal as it sounds, it probably doesn't hurt us with regard to retaining Bailey at least until he hits free agency. Other clubs will probably be scared off from offering the huge long-term carrot they otherwise might have done at the end of 2024 (they still might). He remains a must keep from my perspective.

Recover well Bailey - the world is still your oyster at only 23yo.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Trading up to get Sanders and bringing in Harmes are both looking very astute decisions now.

As big a blow as this is for Bailey and for us, through our off-season list management decisions we have given ourselves additional depth in the midfield to cover such an unfortunate eventuality.

Also, and as brutal as it sounds, it probably doesn't hurt us with regard to retaining Bailey at least until he hits free agency. Other clubs will probably be scared off from offering the huge long-term carrot they otherwise might have done at the end of 2024 (they still might). He remains a must keep from my perspective.

I think he re-signs now.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

As big a blow as this is for Bailey and for us, through our off-season in list management decisions we have given ourselves additional depth in the midfield to cover such an unfortunate eventuality.

Also, and as brutal as it sounds, it probably doesn't hurt us with regard to retaining Bailey at least until he hits free agency. He remains a must keep from my perspective.

The wife shed a tear today when the news come through, but you have made some very valid points and we need to reflect on this in a different way. He's young and given the meticulous way he prepares he will come out of this as good as anyone could. This is not a career ending injury and he has a lot of other interests.
    I wish him all the best and speedy and safe recovery.

11. Likes josie, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Oh FFS!!!
    The football Gods only let us have about a month of good news

Post Thanks / Like

Aaaaaaannd there it is... it felt like there was a smack upside the head coming...things had been going too nicely for a few weeks..

All the best with Baz's operation and recovery. I hope Baz stays, and come on down young Ryley Sanders.

14. Likes josie, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On IG

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Thanks josie, HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^First ever Bailey Smith IG post to have him wearing a shirt. Let alone two.

This sucks. Despite what you might read he’s actually good as hell and this is a big blow. Really don’t want to have already seen the last of him for us.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Can see this becoming a “I needed a change of environment after my year of rehab” story on the way out, but hope it doesn’t go that way. Sedat’s comments seem on the money, all things being equal.

Poor fella, it’s a rotten injury to cop in the off season and early in the year.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

19. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Can see this becoming a “I needed a change of environment after my year of rehab” story on the way out, but hope it doesn’t go that way. Sedat’s comments seem on the money, all things being equal.

Poor fella, it’s a rotten injury to cop in the off season and early in the year.
    Doedee just left after an ACL but that was after the Crows reduced the offer that was already on the table. I would hope that we tell Bailey he is welcome to sign whatever contract we would have been offering regardless of the injury.

21. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he re-signs now.
    Not sure it changes anything really except his value.

Clubs will still be in for him. He is out of contract so we are the ones that look like being stung by this.

He requests a trade, we get shit offers.

Never let a player go out of contract it's such basic list management it's laughable.

23. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he re-signs now.
    It seems like the smart thing would be sign for 2 years which takes him to Free Agency.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

25. Likes Sedat liked this post