Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rule changes 2024

The smother one is a step in the right direction, but worried that it specifically target's players leaving the ground in the act of smothering. It should be a blanket duty of care. Hit high you're in trouble!

2. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    HD, what can I say. But that bloody whistle - I think I will take my own and sit behind the bench
    Duplicate somehow.

Post Thanks / Like

HD, what can I say. But that bloody whistle - I think I will take my own and sit behind the bench
    Seriously crazy right. Some of us have worked in places where you make very important decisions.

How does this make the agenda?

Bush league.

BTW if anyone wants to ask Brett Sutton a question just let me know. He's become a colleague.

5. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    No "patience" either
    And ain?t no fool joining the joyride now!

7. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe the smother rule needed adjusting. If in the air after a smothering attempt that you realised the ball had been missed your next move shouldn't naturally be to maim the kicker.

Is the straight arm blocking rule change an out for the likes of Oscar McInerny?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

This round could be a train wreck.

From Sam Edmund on X

The AFL has instructed its umpires to immediately shorten the “reasonable time” component of holding the ball in a significant & rare in-season interpretation change. Clubs were on Tuesday night sent a memo notifying of the shift.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

From Sam Edmund on X

The AFL has instructed its umpires to immediately shorten the “reasonable time” component of holding the ball in a significant & rare in-season interpretation change. Clubs were on Tuesday night sent a memo notifying of the shift.
    Friday night shit show ahead!

11. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    Friday night shit show ahead!
    At least there is a game on Thursday so we can get a sneak preview to the shit show.

I feel a clamp down is a good thing but doing it in season is fraught with danger.

13. Likes Grantysghost, bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

From Sam Edmund on X

A train wreck / shit show short term so be it, but common sense prevails, especially when experienced players have no idea what the rule is and not allowing players an eternity to swing around whilst tackled to find a good option to find a team mate nup, when tackled get rid of it immediately, and i liked Luke Hodges take going back to the past when players knew exactly what the rule was, a clear disposal so if you get a shoelace on the ball not good enough, must be a clear pass.

Post Thanks / Like

Can some one tell me when an attempted disposal is ok and it is play on? I thought incorrect disposal was still a rule, but apparently not.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    At least there is a game on Thursday so we can get a sneak preview to the shit show.

I feel a clamp down is a good thing but doing it in season is fraught with danger.
    Completely agree. A clamp down is 100% needed but changing interpretations mid season is a bad idea. And we'll just wait for reactionary correction a few weeks before finals before going back to normal once finals start.

Post Thanks / Like

Can some one tell me when an attempted disposal is ok and it is play on? I thought incorrect disposal was still a rule, but apparently not.
    I used to understand this up until about 5 years ago. Incorrect disposal with no prior was not holding the ball. But now sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't and I don't know why there is a difference.

19. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

They change interpretations wildly on many different rules every week. I'm 100% convinced that this is a deliberate tactic by the AFEL to ensure the game is being talked about and takes up all the available media space. Media rule 101 - it's much worse to be ignored than to be hated.

The way this rule is umpired is completely broken. The clamp down is necessary but it will only last a few weeks and then it will be relaxed again when there is something else the AFEL have seeded to the media to talk about.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Can they actually show us the change in the rule book ?
    I would like to see the old version and the new version as it?s written , we would understand it better as fans.
    Bring back the biff