Thanks Thanks:  44
Likes Likes:  159
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sam Darcy:- Welcome to the Western Bulldogs

Dogs' son of a gun lands Rising Star nomination

WESTERN Bulldogs young gun Sam Darcy has landed the round four Rising Star nomination after his three-goal haul against Geelong on Saturday night.

Darcy impressed in his 10th AFL game during Gather Round, kicking three goals in the Bulldogs' four-point loss at Adelaide Oval.

The son of a gun also had 12 disposals, four tackles, eight hitouts and five score involvements in just 55 per cent time on ground.

Darcy's nomination marks a second straight for the Bulldogs after Harvey Gallagher in round three.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Dogs' son of a gun lands Rising Star nomination

WESTERN Bulldogs young gun Sam Darcy has landed the round four Rising Star nomination after his three-goal haul against Geelong on Saturday night.

Darcy impressed in his 10th AFL game during Gather Round, kicking three goals in the Bulldogs' four-point loss at Adelaide Oval.

The son of a gun also had 12 disposals, four tackles, eight hitouts and five score involvements in just 55 per cent time on ground.

Darcy's nomination marks a second straight for the Bulldogs after Harvey Gallagher in round three.
    Excellent news. Now for Saunders.

Post Thanks / Like

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The young man is a Unicorn, Forward-Ruck is a hard position to play with not a lot of standout players capable of both roles so to have really good ruckcraft and be dangerous in the forward 50 is very rare.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    The young man is a Unicorn, Forward-Ruck is a hard position to play with not a lot of standout players capable of both roles so to have really good ruckcraft and be dangerous in the forward 50 is very rare.
    And he can go back.
    Bring back the biff

7. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done Sam. Great to have another Rising star nomination. Ryley Sanders next.

We do have some good youngsters coming through which is great to see.

Keen to see JOD playing again. Really liked how he has gone since he started particularly coming from cricket.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Great to get two Rising Stars in two week and hopefully Sanders isn't far away from getting a nod, you know there must be something special there with Sam Darcy when Leigh Matthews who very rarely has anything positive to say about the Bulldogs comes out and labels Sam the next big thing.

It's interesting that when drafted he was playing back but was always a forward ruck before that draft year and he also see's himself as a ruckman first then forward, i know i thought he was a forward who gave a chop out in the ruck as he looks so natural up forward but either way, he's a beauty.

Looking back to when Buddy and Roughy were dominating for the Hawks up forward and that final where they blew us out of the water especially at the G, wheres those two but especially Roughead would take the ball at the highest point and we had no answer for it, we didn't have that luxury in our forward line but with Sam now, that highest point is 208cm plus given his high reach, we even saw that on the weekend against two Cats players one being Tom Stewart both right in the contest but neither could get near him, it was just magnificent to see and will only get better.

10. Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    Great to get two Rising Stars in two week and hopefully Sanders isn't far away from getting a nod, you know there must be something special there with Sam Darcy when Leigh Matthews who very rarely has anything positive to say about the Bulldogs comes out and labels Sam the next big thing.

It's interesting that when drafted he was playing back but was always a forward ruck before that draft year and he also see's himself as a ruckman first then forward, i know i thought he was a forward who gave a chop out in the ruck as he looks so natural up forward but either way, he's a beauty.

Looking back to when Buddy and Roughy were dominating for the Hawks up forward and that final where they blew us out of the water especially at the G, wheres those two but especially Roughead would take the ball at the highest point and we had no answer for it, we didn't have that luxury in our forward line but with Sam now, that highest point is 208cm plus given his high reach, we even saw that on the weekend against two Cats players one being Tom Stewart both right in the contest but neither could get near him, it was just magnificent to see and will only get better.
    You could argue it's his judgement of the ball in flight that is more important than his height. He's a natural football brain.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes Uninformed, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    You could argue it's his judgement of the ball in flight that is more important than his height. He's a natural football brain.
    Darcy and Jamarra both take it at the highest point, they are both footy naturals .
    Naughton a little different he prefers to get as high as possible and take it on the chest.
    Bring back the biff

14. Likes Pleather Sole liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Absolutely, it's both positioning and height which why i think he just looks a natural up forward, a lot of times height is grossly overrated because a 200cm plus spud is still a spud, but with Darce it gives him that massive advantage with that skillset and height with taking the ball at the highest point.

16. Likes Uninformed, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

he reminds me of Paul Salmon. hopefully he can dominate up forward like that too.

cant wait for another 3 years when his body development catches up with his height.

18. Likes angelopetraglia, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    he reminds me of Paul Salmon. hopefully he can dominate up forward like that too.

cant wait for another 3 years when his body development catches up with his height.
    Spot on. A modern day fish is what I was thinking too. What Paul Salmon was to 1984 (and prior to Geoff Raines rearraging his knee) is what Sam Darcy could be to 2024. He just needs a consistent injury free run at it.

Post Thanks / Like

What really impresses me is his ability below his knees.

He isn't afraid to be a link in the chain in general play and his teammates are more than happy to use him accordingly.

An extremely exciting talent.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    What really impresses me is his ability below his knees.

He isn't afraid to be a link in the chain in general play and his teammates are more than happy to use him accordingly.

An extremely exciting talent.
    IIRC Rocket said in Darcy's draft year that while there isn't a perfect comparison, the player he could most liken Darcy to was Joe Danniher. I don't know if he's quite that agile but just being pretty agile as a 208cm ruck/forward is already huge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    IIRC Rocket said in Darcy's draft year that while there isn't a perfect comparison, the player he could most liken Darcy to was Joe Danniher. I don't know if he's quite that agile but just being pretty agile as a 208cm ruck/forward is already huge.
    Difference is Darcy is already a better kick.
    Bring back the biff