Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  140
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 8 vs Hawthorn

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I've seen 2 VFL games live in the last 8 months. At both, I've overheard him shit talking his opponent.
    In the game at Casey a few weeks ago, he was having a bit of a push & shove with his opponent, then the ball came in to the 50 and he crumbed and kicked the goal. As he wheeled away, you could just hear him yell "how do you like me now?"
    Shit talking may be his most elite AFL skill at this point.
    Ha. Love this. Hopefully he can back it up with his footy too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    It's interesting. An actual point of difference from the swarm of private school kids. I think it's something worth celebrating. He did it the hard way.

I'm sure if he's any good his footy will be what people talk about rather than where he lived
    So much of footy has become bland. We hear less and less of the players back stories and individuality…. Im bored to tears with clips of “mic’d up” players at training which tells us zilch but seeing his genuine emotion brought a tear. Go well Charlie.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

3. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Agree 100%. It is one of things I love about the game. It's egalitarian.

After spending a fair bit of time in Sydney, there is a different vibe. The rich kids play Union. The working class play league. Melbourne is different. It doesn't matter if you sweep the floor or you are in the boardroom, everyone talks AFL, it is a common language that helps glue society together.

I feel in recent years we have been losing a little bit of this with elite private school boys making up a larger percentage of draftees. We want people from all sections of society continuing to play the game. We want the system to support kids and allow them pathways regardless of their socio-economic background. The game will be much better off for it and I know this is a stretch, but I also think our society is better off for it too. AFL connects this great city of ours in ways other things just don't. We don't want to lose that.
    Great points

This is why I feel Buku is a great story from refugee background

Bedendo is a great story, growing up homeless

Clarke is another great story to come out

I hope the game can develop and give people from all walks of life opportunities to play this game.

5. Likes angelopetraglia, GVGjr, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    So much of footy has become bland. We hear less and less of the players back stories and individuality…. Im bored to tears with clips of “mic’d up” players at training which tells us zilch but seeing his genuine emotion brought a tear. Go well Charlie.
    There's a distinct lack of authenticity or earnestness in AFL media (including what's coming out from the club), so you're absolutely right, when something like this comes along it really stands out.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Great points

I hope the game can develop and give people from all walks of life opportunities to play this game.
    You are bang on Macca. It's wonderful to see players come from a variety of pathways to our club and it's particularly nice when they genuinely earn their stripes.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Likes angelopetraglia, bornadog, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait to see Chook play - exciting stuff
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I can do justice to the way I feel about this kid 'making it' having watched him stand on the boundary line at Skinner Reserve during all of the 2023 preseason nursing a lower back injury that cut him off from the rest of the team - a team he had just joined and with people he wasn't getting the opportunity to connect with (as you do with team mates).

He has come on in leaps and bounds working really hard on the track this preseason and in the VFL - both last year and moreso this year. He is the sort of player that will learn and grow the more times he is out on the field.

A great opportunity exists for him in Cody's absence. Onya Chook.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Great points

I think you'll find there are lots of these stories we just never hear about them. People assume because most players come from private school they must by well off. The reality is they come from all walks of life and a lot get fully paid scholarships to private schools because they are good at sport, especially in the APS.

Post Thanks / Like

After spending a fair bit of time in Sydney, there is a different vibe. The rich kids play Union. The working class play league. Melbourne is different. It doesn't matter if you sweep the floor or you are in the boardroom, everyone talks AFL, it is a common language that helps glue society together.

I feel in recent years we have been losing a little bit of this with elite private school boys making up a larger percentage of draftees. We want people from all sections of society continuing to play the game. We want the system to support kids and allow them pathways regardless of their socio-economic background. The game will be much better off for it and I know this is a stretch, but I also think our society is better off for it too. AFL connects this great city of ours in ways other things just don't. We don't want to lose that.
    Great post AP, but it connects much more than the city.

Footy can connect across all regions and already does right through the Southern to the Western states.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

14. Likes macca, angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He was a natural selection for the position and from what I have seen this year he has improved a lot.
    I hope he's one of those players that loves the big time and grows more from it.
    I want to see the match committee having trouble bringing Cody back in 6-8 weeks wouldn't that be a great problem to have.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

16. Likes angelopetraglia, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That was great!
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

18. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great post AP. Just my opinion I’m probably biased we have the best football code I reckon compared to League, Union and Gridiron in the US.

Love the World Game as well known as association football.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

20. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Great post AP, but it connects much more than the city.

Footy can connect across all regions and already does right through the Southern to the Western states.
    Yes. Good point. Agree 100%. My own personal bias was coming through when just referring to Melbourne.

22. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn
    Sunday 5th May 4pm AEST
    Marvel Stadium, Docklands • Wurundjeri
    Broadcast: Fox Footy/Kayo

B: Bailey Dale, Liam Jones, Ed Richards
    HB: Taylor Duryea, Buku Khamis, Jason Johannisen
    C: Bailey Williams, Adam Treloar, Harmes
    HF: Laith Vandermeer, Aaron Naughton, Riley Garcia
    F: Sam Darcy, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Charlie Clarke
    FOLL: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore
    INT: James O’Donnell, Jack Macrae, Lachie Bramble, Harvey Gallagher, Oskar Baker, Rory Lobb, Caleb Poulter, Caleb Daniel

In: Oskar Baker, Caleb Poulter, Tom Liberatore, Charlie Clarke, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
    Out: Cody Weightman (elbow), Rhylee West
    Last edited by bornadog; 02-05-2024 at 08:54 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

24. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

26. Thanks jeemak, azabob, macca, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes MrMahatma liked this post