Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  77
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WOOF welcomes Joel Freijah to the Kennel

Got to love how he has developed in his first year, really liked how the club has settled him off HBF.

It's good timing considering JJ and Doc are closer to the end, obviously has the attributes to play wing also but what I liked last week is that he really wanted the ball in his hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Go get em!!

Gonna dominate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I hope he goes well but I feel like we're being given shiny things to distract us.
    Or we might just be trying to change the team dynamic which is what our coach has literally said we're trying to do. But I guess it can be that and distraction at the same time.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Or we might just be trying to change the team dynamic which is what our coach has literally said we're trying to do. But I guess it can be that and distraction at the same time.
    It?s also a pretty good line when defeats comes up?

Sure we?ve lost a few more games than we wanted. But the kids were knocking the door down in the VFL and we needed to reward form. Dsrcy & Gallagher got rising star nominations, Sanders impressed and we blooded Clarke & Freijah too. While getting games into players like Buku, Garcia & O?Donnell. Sure we haven?t won as many games as we would like, but you have to reward form at VFL. If we didn?t, you?d be criticising me for not playing kids in form. So which one is it?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    It?s also a pretty good line when defeats comes up?

Sure we?ve lost a few more games than we wanted. But the kids were knocking the door down in the VFL and we needed to reward form. Dsrcy & Gallagher got rising star nominations, Sanders impressed and we blooded Clarke & Freijah too. While getting games into players like Buku, Garcia & O?Donnell. Sure we haven?t won as many games as we would like, but you have to reward form at VFL. If we didn?t, you?d be criticising me for not playing kids in form. So which one is it?
    Absolutely and we also need to refresh and expose our young talent to the rigours of AFL to know what to expect. Clarke has had a taste, albeit one game, but now has an idea of what is expected. Similar to Sanders. Looking forward to seeing Buss next. There is some decent talent there to replace some of our older players. Whilst we may not make the eight let?s enjoy watching some of our younger guys have a crack. Kinda exciting. Looking forward to Freijah tonight given the great reports from some of our posters

Post Thanks / Like

Re-reading a couple of my pre-season reports, I had Freijah in the 'will need at least 12 months in the VFL' category. He was played out on the wing in the intra club hitouts and looked a bit 'lost' and unable to get into the games. Upon reflection, it was likely he was simply a new recruit who was unknown by the other players and therefore ignored (unintentionally).

When he started training with the backline, he suddenly took on a totally different 'look' as he linked up nicely with that group.

Over the past few weeks in the VFL he has really upped the ante basically demanding the ball as a link up player through the middle of the ground.

When he started with the backline group he did struggle with the defensive side of things - he didn't seem that confident attempting an overhead mark in a pack, but his overhead marking recently has improved.

Looking forward to seeing how he adjusts to the next level in the AFL.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

7. Thanks hujsh, angelopetraglia, jazzadogs thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, jeemak, GVGjr, macca, kickit2Koly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    Re-reading a couple of my pre-season reports, I had Freijah in the 'will need at least 12 months in the VFL' category. He was played out on the wing in the intra club hitouts and looked a bit 'lost' and unable to get into the games. Upon reflection, it was likely he was simply a new recruit who was unknown by the other players and therefore ignored (unintentionally).

When he started training with the backline, he suddenly took on a totally different 'look' as he linked up nicely with that group.

Over the past few weeks in the VFL he has really upped the ante basically demanding the ball as a link up player through the middle of the ground.

When he started with the backline group he did struggle with the defensive side of things - he didn't seem that confident attempting an overhead mark in a pack, but his overhead marking recently has improved.

Looking forward to seeing how he adjusts to the next level in the AFL.
    The rare self narc.

Thanks smads always like reading your thoughts.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting...that contest with Mansell at the start of the second definitely had the feel of a lack of confidence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Interesting...that contest with Mansell at the start of the second definitely had the feel of a lack of confidence.
    I wonder why , it’s not like he is playing his first game.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Going to take him a couple of games to feel comfortable. I thought his ball use was quite good and he managed to position himself well. Not sure you can ask for much more from a kid in his first year getting an early season debut.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

17 touches at 82% DE, something to build on. Did look a little overawed early on but grew as the game went on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Going to take him a couple of games to feel comfortable. I thought his ball use was quite good and he managed to position himself well. Not sure you can ask for much more from a kid in his first year getting an early season debut.
    He did well, I agree you couldn't ask for much more.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

15. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I wonder why , it’s not like he is playing his first game.
    Sorry I didn't quote Smads, but he specifically said that it was something Freijah had struggled with at VFL level initially but then built confidence.

I wasn't criticising him, I thought he played very well - it was more of a compliment of Smads observations!

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the above, I think what I liked tonight is that he clearly has the ability to make it. Some you look at and you're unsure (Clarke), some are blatantly obvious (Darcy), but I saw enough to suggest he can be a player where we work to get the ball in his hands.
    W00F!

18. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Loved the way he moves and is a good size for an 18 year old
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.