Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
    Post Thanks / Like

2024 - What?s Working So Far?

There?s been plenty of negativity heaped on us (some of it deserved) but it?s not all bad!

What are your bright spots at this point?

Mine has to be the penny dropping for Westy. I really feel like he?s going to be in the mix for AA over the next 2-3 years as a half forward.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2024 - What?s Working So Far?

Playing plenty of kids
    Nearly the second highest percentage
    Improved goal kicking overall
    Next rung doing well (Darcy, West, Garcia etc)
    Old dogs still having a little left, Jones & Doc
    Better MC selections than previously
    Shots across the bow of senior players and getting some good results, see Dale
    Marra signing
    Two rising star nominations with Sanders one to come
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not sure exactly what we did to change this but it feels like with the possible exception of the air going out of the balloon against Essendon we haven’t had anyone kick a run of goals on us in a while.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I’m not sure exactly what we did to change this but it feels like with the possible exception of the air going out of the balloon against Essendon we haven’t had anyone kick a run of goals on us in a while.
    Melbourne kicked 5 in a row in a short period from late in the first quarter to early in the second which was frustrating as it felt like we had been on top early.

As you say Essendon was the only other instance so hopefully we can continue to prevent the run ons against some of the better teams we have coming up.

Post Thanks / Like

The best thing so far this year has been the inclusion of players based on form rather than reputation. Either you adapt or dropped, just look at Dale, he really took it on and is in AA form.

I have also liked the blooding of young players, and again, if they don't perform, then they go back to VFL to work on it eg Sanders on his defensive side.

Agree with OP, West is really making the small forward role work, instead of sooking (not that he does), and saying he wants the mid role. He has embraced the role.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes GVGjr, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting to develop a turnover game and not relying solely on contested possessions/clearance dominance to score

Starting to develop an intercept marking game in D50

Sam Darcy....nuff said
    Last edited by Sedat; 15-05-2024 at 01:08 PM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

I like how Bevo has more support around him. Matt Egan is a good addition.

We've realised doing the same thing over and again is going to get the same results, so we blooding new players, rewarding form, and acknowledging reputation matters little.

Treloar is having his best season so far with us. I have historically questioned his defensive side, but I was super impressed with his game against the Tigers.

And I like how we are trying Richards in the middle.

I feel for Rory Lobb who has done little wrong, but Sam Darcy just deserves to be there.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Conceding less goals from D50 entries than the last two seasons is a plus.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Ed in the guts.
    Getting good exp into JOD, Gags.
    Darcy… damn boi!

Post Thanks / Like

Playing the likes of Garcia and Gallagher and giving them midfield time along with Ed who looks like he's a natural mid the way he's moved from that rebounding defender, which can make him a more damaging player, we've lost Libba for however long we don't know, but our midfield hasn't missed a beat but looks to be evolving into something more sustainable and damaging.

The accuracy for goals, both Naughton and Bont seem to have benefited from Brad Johnno's goal kicking master classes, hopefully Marra follows suit soon, but just watching Naughty, he seems more focused and looks to be watching and concentrating on where he wants to kick the ball, it's working.

Sam Darcy, what a pleasure to watch him grow into something special.

Blooding a few of the kids, this is what the good teams do, at the expense of highly rated experienced senior players either out of form or having to go back and work on their game in the VFL, obviously you can't play too many at once otherwise you'll probably end up bottoming out which is what you don't want to improve a winning culture around the club, give them a sniff and if good enough hold their spot, would like to see Busslinger in the side at some stage too.

14. Likes bornadog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Darcy and Gallagher's inclusions and responsibilities.

That's it.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man