Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  38
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

3 things learned from Rd 10 vs GWS 2024

Please list the 3 things learned from our R10 encounter against GWS.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 things learned from Rd 10 vs GWS 2024

1. You can win kicking at about 25% goal accuracy. That would have to be a record.
    2. Harmes played in the role we recruited him for works.
    3. Marra needs a spell

4. Screw GWS
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

3. Likes GVGjr, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Some good signs that Bont was only a bit player tonight in what was EXACTLY the type of win we needed to see from this group.

2. Ed Richards could potentially earn an AA role as a midfielder some day. 10 clearances tonight.

3. Naughton - He is a real live unicorn. Amongst the most aerially gifted in the competition, but absolutely gives nothing away to any opposition defender when the ball is on the deck, or in his endeavour when in pursuit. If he continues his overall good goalkicking form, he is going transform our whole forward line.

5. Likes EasternWest, kruder, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. I hate GWS more than I thought

2. Sydney crowds haven't taken to GWS and can't see they ever will

3. Bevo is a genius but I knew that anyhow
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes azabob, jeemak, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    1. I hate GWS more than I thought

2. Sydney crowds haven't taken to GWS and can't see they ever will

3. Bevo is a genius but I knew that anyhow
    Nah mate he's a bumbling fool who doesn't know whether he's Arthur or Martha after losing to Essendon.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

9. Likes EasternWest, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Life after Libba will probably be OK. I love the guy and want him to play again, but we have a back up option in Jacko and a change up option in Richards who can carry the load

2. Aaron Naughton has matured to the extent where you just can't keep him out of a game like other key forwards of his age/ experience. While I appreciate the calls to move him back (notwithstanding his ball use issues, I was originally in that camp myself), it's now well beyond the point where we lose too much in the process

3. We don't have to rely on Bont if our mid-tier players stand up. Some of the handling and ball use from the likes of Dale and Williams tonight was out of control good, while Duryea, West, VDM, JF, O'Donnell and a few others all had moments that just made things so much easier. Treloar outstanding again

I already knew this, but having Keath who is a highly skilled all round player fit and seemingly confident is much better than having Buku trying to learn how to be half as good as Keath when the whips are cracking. From here I want to see a defensive unit with Jones, Keath and Duryea as the senior heads marshalling the rest with some continuity - the number one issue that ****ed our season last year.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Jones, Keath and Duryea are extremely limited athletically but damn they position themselves correctly and are very rarely caught out. The two big boys in particular played a huge role in the win tonight.

2. Aaron Naughton is having a wonderful season. With his new role we are seeing how athletically gifted he is. What a beautiful gesture wearing AOD training jumper on the ground during the pre game warm up.

3. I am not sure where to for Caleb Daniel. He needs to have a huge summer and reinvent himself somehow. Someone with his skill level and footy IQ should not be lost to the game.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

1. Williamstown get bigger crowds than GWS.
    2. Playing the didgeridoo after each Giants goal was a nice touch - shame they only played it 6 times.
    3. Already knew this but wet weather exposes poor goal kicking technique - exhibit A - JUH.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    1. Williamstown get bigger crowds than GWS.
    2. Playing the didgeridoo after each Giants goal was a nice touch - shame they only played it 6 times.
    3. Already knew this but wet weather exposes poor goal kicking technique - exhibit A - JUH.
    You can't fall away to the side after leaning back if you concentrate on getting your forehead as close to your kicking leg's knee as you possibly can when shooting for goal.

It's an easy fix, he just needs to concentrate on substance over style.

Post Thanks / Like

Our next generation is going to be very good.
    Darcy is going to be unstoppable.
    Freijah looks a find, O’Donnell is continuing to get confidence, Richards in his element and Saunders, Croft to come.

Naughton is so good up the ground with space.

Our defence is building connection, if only our forward line can.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

1. We seen the last of Lobb. Darcy has huge talent and clunks marks and as good a kick as Lobb

2. Freijah could be the next JJ

3. Great win with Bont, Marra minimal impact and missing Smith, Libba and JJ. With this 5 stated who would have thought at the start of the year we would have won
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a dig at you Bumper Bulldogs but god damn we have set the bar high for Bontempelli.

Bont vs Greater Western Sydney:

8 inside 50s
    7 clearances
    5 tackles
    22 pressure acts
    4 score involvements
    equal team high 6 one percenters
    18 disposals (10 contested)
    2 marks (both contested)
    2 intercepts

Thanks for posting these stats BAD.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

17. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Not a dig at you Bumper Bulldogs but god damn we have set the bar high for Bontempelli.

8 inside 50s
    7 clearances
    5 tackles
    22 pressure acts
    4 score involvements
    2 marks (both contested)
    2 intercepts

Bevo in his presser said after half time they changed things around a bit and used Bont differently. Good to see we are trying to break tags.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

8 inside 50s
    7 clearances
    5 tackles
    22 pressure acts
    4 score involvements
    2 marks (both contested)
    2 intercepts

Yes. Still an enormous influence. But for Bont that is minimal impact.

Quick quiz. How many times did Marcus Bontempelli have only 18 or less posessions in the 2023 season. Zero times out of 23 games. 10 contested possessions, he only fell under that twice out of 23 games last year. Both 9. Now possesions are not everything, but it is still a minimal impact game from the great one.

20. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was reflecting on the win this morning, and it occurred to me that whilst we've all been critical, and rightly so, about the ability of this group to stand up in moments, we also have to hand it to them for simultaneously being able to regularly put all of those doubts aside and keep getting up off the metaphorical canvas to have another crack.

It would've been easy for a side to have just folded and gone on to be a perennial basket case in the aftermath of our 2021 GF bedshitting from nigh on 3Qtr time onward.

Yet in spite of the ongoing fragilities, what this group hasn't done is give into those doubts. We might get found out by them repeatedly, but it certainly doesn't seem lead to them just succumbing to the narrative.

Furthermore, the club has by and large not been riven with dispute and rancour internally; any problems have been managed super professionally.

The way players, Bevo and the club have responded to the growing kitchen temperature on our mediocre performances up to the Richmond game, has also been exemplary.

I was very much starting to get the wobbles in my belief Bevo was still the man, and the narrative and on surface the performances started to have me thinking maybe he had 'lost the group' and maybe it was 'time to go'..Once the vortex starts it's really easy to let it take you in.

Now I'm not calling for a 3 yr extension on the back of two wins against sides who on form lines were ready to be picked off against a suitably focused and able opponent. However, I think as I, like perhaps many supporters, am often quick to let a nice narrative lead me to an outcome, when the truth often requires a more nuanced hearing.

22. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO, The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Likes hujsh, jeemak, merantau liked this post