Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the club 'RIGHT' about the Bevo narrative being personal?

I have said a few times I'm neither pro nor anti Bevo. That's true in terms of his future - but in terms of his legacy and what the club has achieved during his tenure? I'm 100% pro-Bevo as the best coach we've ever had.

The narrative this past week has been interesting though.

GWS have been presented by the media as a good team out of form.
    WB have been presented as a 'inconsistent' team who have beaten up on bottom sides.

Here is the reality.

Giants wins: Pies, North, Eagles, Suns (first 4 weeks), Saints (1-point), Brisbane.
    Giants Losses: Carlton, Sydney, Essendon.

Give that Collingwood win an asterix and they have beaten NO-ONE except the Suns.

Every time they have played a 'contender' they have lost.

Their record is essentially the SAME as ours.

Why is our club presented in such a negative light? Watching the players interviewed - Treloar and Doc - after the game last night, both seemed to be genuinely surprised at the narrative following the side this year...

Is the club right? Is the negativity (from the media) personal? Do they smell blood in the water with the Bevo 'thing' and are they pushing the narrative because there's a 'story' there??

As an aside - I've been as frustrated as anyone with the results since 2021 but when 'they' say "We've been in every game" and "Things are closer to turning around than everyone realises", maybe they are right??

I guess this week will tell a story??
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Thanks Uninformed thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is the club 'RIGHT' about the Bevo narrative being personal?

Literally not one journalist picked us top 4 in pre-season predictions, yet all we hear is we?re a top 4 list and should?ve won 11 flags in the last 10 years and Bevo is therefore a hopeless coach who has clearly lost the players.

The media are stupid. I think they also have an axe to grind in some sections which is where most of the irrational negativity comes from. So yes. Personal to some which means the message gets slanted to the negative where it can and not mentioned where a good negative slant can?t be found.

Anyway? hopefully we win a flag and they can all suck it.

4. Likes bornadog, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We can't dismiss that for some in the media it's personal with Bevo.
    There are parts of media where reporting on games isn't sufficient so they look a lot deeper with a blood sport sort of mentality.
    This is often fueled by what they read on social media by dejected fans and the want to create a story or narrative that promotes the author more than anything else.

Some of this is the clubs fault though. We should be more active in the media giving more access to the more reasonable folk which would get a more positive picture out there for our supporters.
    But the big firelighter for all this is our win loss record and that is what riles up an impatient supporter base and a portion of the media with an axe to grind.

It's understandable that everyone is impatient for a clearer picture of where we actually are and where we are supposed to be headed. It's a good list and we've recruited like we are genuine contenders not a team that is rebuilding.

The club was right to put some in the media on notice but we now have to get out there and start selling a more positive message.
    We aren't victims it's the nature of a results based business.

As for Bevo, happy to keep him as a coach until the end of the year where depending on the results and whatever other factors are relevant we can make an informed decision not an interim one.
    I just don't see a lot of value in changing coaches mid season unless the coach has lost the list.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Likes kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is personal and the media doesn't give us credit where credit is due. Apparently reviewing the game this morning, Cornes spoke about GWS the whole time and didn't mention one Bulldog player. It is more how GWS have a form slump and players missing.

We are use to this, so nothing new. Bevo rubbing up a few media types over the years, and they have revenge on their mind.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We can't dismiss that for some in the media it's personal with Bevo.
    There are parts of media where reporting on games isn't sufficient so they look a lot deeper with a blood sport sort of mentality.
    This is often fueled by what they read on social media by dejected fans and the want to create a story or narrative that promotes the author more than anything else.

Some of this is the clubs fault though. We should be more active in the media giving more access to the more reasonable folk which would get a more positive picture out there for our supporters.
    But the big firelighter for all this is our win loss record and that is what riles up an impatient supporter base and a portion of the media with an axe to grind.

It's understandable that everyone is impatient for a clearer picture of where we actually are and where we are supposed to be headed. It's a good list and we've recruited like we are genuine contenders not a team that is rebuilding.

The club was right to put some in the media on notice but we now have to get out there and start selling a more positive message.
    We aren't victims it's the nature of a results based business.

As for Bevo, happy to keep him as a coach until the end of the year where depending on the results and whatever other factors are relevant we can make an informed decision not an interim one.
    I just don't see a lot of value in changing coaches mid season unless the coach has lost the list.
    Great summary.

I felt more certainty in the direction we are heading after Bevo spoke honestly on 360 last week than anything that has come out of the club in a long time. It's not about shutting up shop because the media are looking for blood, it's about the bloody fans and giving us an insight on where the club is at and what direction we are taking.

I'm all aboard the refresh even though the club were behind the eight ball on this and it may even cost Bevo his job but there is no point finishing 6-11 while continuing with the same methods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Great summary.

I felt more certainty in the direction we are heading after Bevo spoke honestly on 360 last week than anything that has come out of the club in a long time. It's not about shutting up shop because the media are looking for blood, it's about the bloody fans and giving us an insight on where the club is at and what direction we are taking.

I'm all aboard the refresh even though the club were behind the eight ball on this and it may even cost Bevo his job but there is no point finishing 6-11 while continuing with the same methods.
    You know what is more disappointing to me our own supporters. We had a complete review of the footy department, even calling in outside help, changed structure, changed assistants and after a couple of rounds our supporters turned on the club and Bevo. This is just as bad as Richmond pre their premierships and Carlton a few years ago constantly changing coaches and supporters carrying on.

Instead of waiting to see how the season pans out, the constant negativity on social media, talk back etc was just nauseating.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You know what is more disappointing to me our own supporters. We had a complete review of the footy department, even calling in outside help, changed structure, changed assistants and after a couple of rounds our supporters turned on the club and Bevo. This is just as bad as Richmond pre their premierships and Carlton a few years ago constantly changing coaches and supporters carrying on.

Instead of waiting to see how the season pans out, the constant negativity on social media, talk back etc was just nauseating.
    Disagree, you should be disappointed in the club's inability to communicate with its supporters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Disagree, you should be disappointed in the club's inability to communicate with its supporters.
    The club has been very good at communicating with supporters. Not sure what else you expect.

Post Thanks / Like

Social media influence supposedly interfered with the election of the President of the USA.

The social media influence and especially with a pile on from Kane and friends (the TV shows have their most provoctive clips on social media) can definiltey influence the supporters of the Western Bulldogs (or any other club for that matter). I have no doubt that the over top narrative from the likes of Kane has had an influence on our supporters.

To be fair, there have been some balanced views from Connolly, Robbo and Ryan. But the personal pile ons from Kane, Damo, Wilson and Lloyd has been completely over the top.

14. Likes bornadog, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's the saturation across the platforms of the same voices riding the same hobby horses for days on end that exacerbates it all. And it's easy content to create.

Shithead is on the AFL website, Ch9, SEN and writes for The Age (owned by Ch9), and because he taps into emotion with his opinions that are light on for facts it polarises and eventually stymies any rational debate. None of his colleagues seriously pull him up because rational debate isn't the target, advertising dollars are what counts.

It's easy enough to say just ignore it, but because of the saturation it's not only the platforms you have to ignore, it's the dickhead listeners who don't know anything about the Bulldogs nudging you just to get a rise. Those disenfranchised Bulldogs supporters that agree are within their rights to, but you hope they're taking a more informed view prior to just going along with it - and this is where the club needs to be better.

The club hadn't managed the narrative around our position well prior to the past month or so. They've corrected but they can't let it get out of hand from here.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Social media influence supposedly interfered with the election of the President of the USA.

The social media influence and especially with a pile on from Kane and friends (the TV shows have their most provoctive clips on social media) can definiltey influence the supporters of the Western Bulldogs (or any other club for that matter). I have no doubt that the over top narrative from the likes of Kane has had an influence on our supporters.

To be fair, there have been some balanced views from Connolly, Robbo and Ryan. But the personal pile ons from Kane, Damo, Wilson and Lloyd has been completely over the top.

17. Thanks angelopetraglia, azabob thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

This is our main weakness as a club. Not the list, coach, or management, but a supporter base easily taken in by the rubbish media.

If players say they can feel the energy of their the supporters on field, then of course they will be affected by the constant criticism of their coach and their own performance through the week by their so-called supporters.

Would you be happy knowing that the players spent all week complaining about selection, playing people out of position, weird moves during matches, the coach having too much power and being stubborn and the sheer stupidity of playing Ed in the guts (oops)? I think as a supporter you would want the players to get behind the coach, trust his decisions and get behind the team.

We expect that of players and people at the club, but not of ourselves as so-called supporters. People a lot football-smarter than us make decisions on the coach. The coaches, a lot football-smarter than us, make decisions on how we play.

Supporters who think they know better than the real experts paid to do the job are just undermining the club. Get behind it! When the time comes the coaches future will be decided - hopefully divorced from media noise.

It is innate to today's media to take diverse data points and work them into a 'narrative' sufficiently interesting to attract eyeballs. Eyeballs attract advertisers who pay wages and profits. Apparently train crashes attract more eyeballs than feel good stories. So, though all media is removed from the reality of the actual data points, most tends to the negative rubbish.

What then is the solution.

Simple.

All supporters should get their news from WOOF. And only WOOF.

For at WOOF we get actual data points on how training is going. How engaged the coaches appear. What this or that player, coach, administrator, etc said. We get up close evaluations of training standards, games and reviews.

Thus we can avoid the media and remain 'Uniformed' rather than be influenced by the media and be misinformed - as the great sage Denzel said.

So, in essence:

Save the club. Join WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Of course it is deeply personal with regard to Barrett, Wilson, Cornes and (to a lesser extent) Morris. Bevo is not immune from legitimate criticism but the level of vitriol directed at him from these 4 over the years has been wildly disproportionate. And their hot takes are obviously extremely speculative - they have no clue what is going on behind closed doors at the kennel (I doubt Wilson has even ventured onto the West Gate Freeway since the 1980's).

I don't think there is any personal angle with regard to Bevo from any other footy journo. He is lauded at times and criticised at other times, as he should.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

20. Likes GVGjr, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Of course it is deeply personal with regard to Barrett, Wilson, Cornes and (to a lesser extent) Morris. Bevo is not immune from legitimate criticism but the level of vitriol directed at him from these 4 over the years has been wildly disproportionate. And their hot takes are obviously extremely speculative - they have no clue what is going on behind closed doors at the kennel (I doubt Wilson has even ventured onto the West Gate Freeway since the 1980's).

I don't think there is any personal angle with regard to Bevo from any other footy journo. He is lauded at times and criticised at other times, as he should.
    This, even Gerard and Kingy this morning on SEN currently rank the Dogs in 3rd or 4th best placed side, or something like that, that's one hell of an endorsement, Gerard said just watch out this Thursday night hinting that he may expect a boil over.

The 360 Bevo interview was the one, before that time it had been a little mirky on how the club portrayed itself as how they stack up and how they're travelling, the position it's in etc so as a club i believe we had been at fault too, the big internal review yet the members were fed zero, should we have had some info? i think it would have been a good idea.

Can't believe i'm saying this but good on Cornsey for starting to get stuck into Ross Lyon, the king of deflection, wonder if Wilson will too? probably not.

Caroline Wilson
    Damian Barrett
    Kane Cornes

You are all shit, and should be all working at the old Truth newspaper!

22. Likes bornadog, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll dump this here because I'm not sure were to put it.

Go to the 26 min mark

Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

24. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post