Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
    Post Thanks / Like

The art of winning ugly.

Why can't we do it?

Look I'm not saying either of Whateley or King are the chosen ones when we need to get our view of the game, but both have us in their top 4 seeds even though we only have a 50:50-win loss record and currently sit in 11th.

When you analyze our results (bar the Melb game which I've removed because we got stooged) we have either completely smoked the opposition (hence our very strong percentage) or played fair to ok and just haven't got the chocolates.

Pretty much every other team above us find ways to win when they're not at their best... Collingwood have made it an art form even... but not us, we just find ways to lose and are in the position we are because of it.

Realistically, and at a minimum we should be 7-3 and firmly entrenched in the top 4, but we now find ourselves in a precarious position where we need to get on a roll and given our tough draw (there's probably only 2 games I'd count as wins for the remainder of the season - both Norf games) battle our ass off to make the top 8 because we can't win ugly.

Is it personnel, coaching (game plan/ strategy) or just shit luck?

2. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, Sedat, kickit2Koly, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The art of winning ugly.

I'm hoping the GWS game was a turning point because it was ugly for a big chunk of it.

What is our record over the past two years with close games? It's pretty poor IIRC. Are we doing enough 'scenario training' that clubs who are good in the close ones (Collingwood) do a lot of?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The art of winning ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'm hoping the GWS game was a turning point because it was ugly for a big chunk of it.

What is our record over the past two years with close games? It's pretty poor IIRC. Are we doing enough 'scenario training' that clubs who are good in the close ones (Collingwood) do a lot of?
    Jon Ralph commented: "Collingwood takes seconds off the clock at every stoppage when they are up in a narrow game and killing the clock. Hawthorn kept trying to break into space, tap it free. Kicked out of bounds twice. Then lost the game in the final seconds"

We need to learn how to stay in front if we are winning. If we are down and need to learn how to steady and be precise with kicking and passing. No use sending the ball forward to a pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Is it personnel, coaching (game plan/ strategy) or just shit luck?
    I think it is a bit of both ie the players - we need leaders to stand up in the tight situations and the coaching for these close scenarios.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes Uninformed, Eastdog liked this post