Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  29
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Garcia v Gallagher

I'm a Garcia fan, so let me get that out of the way first.

I have been extremely surprised by the ''favoritism'' shown to Gallagher over Garica in terms of opportunities to spend time in the midfield which was evident in our past game when Gallagher had more than a 50% attendance rate in the centre, and Garcia had zero.

I know Garcia had a slow pre-season as he recovered from injury, but he started the season in outstanding fashion when playing as a midfielder at VFL level and bashed the door down to get selected.

Since then, he has almost solely been played as a small forward which isn't his favored position and whilst he's been serviceable, I feel he is only just hanging onto a spot in the senior team. I feel if Garcia doesn't secure a spot in the midfield, or at least gain the opportunity to be a part of the rotation that he will be looking at opportunities elsewhere which I feel will be a loss, especially given we have an aging midfield and a lack of players with burst pace.

What am I missing?

2. Likes Sedat, Uninformed, macca, anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garcia v Gallagher

I agree Mantis.
    I love Garcia's hardness. He is a tough nut who can play in-and-under. He seems the heir-apparent to Libba. So with Libba out of the team due to concussion, why is he not playing that role?
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

I’m confused by it, I thought with his VFL form he’d be taking most of Libba’s minutes. I can only guess he’s been pigeonholed away from what looks to be his best role.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Garcia nursed his way through the preseason where Gallagher hardly missed a beat and I think that is why Gags was ahead of him at the start of the season.
    Garcia is clearly as head of him now but I do like how Gallagher is progressing.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Likes Uninformed, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I'm a Garcia fan, so let me get that out of the way first.

I have been extremely surprised by the ''favoritism'' shown to Gallagher over Garica in terms of opportunities to spend time in the midfield which was evident in our past game when Gallagher had more than a 50% attendance rate in the centre, and Garcia had zero.

I know Garcia had a slow pre-season as he recovered from injury, but he started the season in outstanding fashion when playing as a midfielder at VFL level and bashed the door down to get selected.

Since then, he has almost solely been played as a small forward which isn't his favored position and whilst he's been serviceable, I feel he is only just hanging onto a spot in the senior team. I feel if Garcia doesn't secure a spot in the midfield, or at least gain the opportunity to be a part of the rotation that he will be looking at opportunities elsewhere which I feel will be a loss, especially given we have an aging midfield and a lack of players with burst pace.

What am I missing?
    I like them both but Garcia is way better. Get him in there.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I like Gallagher he has impressed so far but I would also like to see Garcia given some midfield time. Garcia has a better record in contested possessions and is a tough little player who can really get in and under. I don't think Garcia is really a small forward whereas Gallagher is more a winger/HFF.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree and can't understand it overly.

Think Garcia can be really impactful. Hits the contest really low and hard and has good pace. Would love for him to get more opportunities around the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

The more the merrier for CBAs in my book.

From Melbourne, to London and now Perth WA
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Agree and can't understand it overly.

Think Garcia can be really impactful. Hits the contest really low and hard and has good pace. Would love for him to get more opportunities around the ball.
    He's also exceptionally clever in packs and congested areas of play. He's more than just a hard nut, similar to west, he knows how to invite the contact but then duck and weave to get away. I also think he has really improved his kicking skills to - really like him as a player.

12. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good thing to have to be having these types of discussions.

Garcia is made of the right stuff, I fully expect him to establish himself as an AFL footballer and he seems the best option to slide into Libba's midfield spot. Timing and injury rehab etc might be the barrier to that having not occurred recently?

Gags came from nowhere in my eyes, by comparison. Had lower expectations and by design he's probably caught my eye more. Quiet couple of weeks and thought/think he might benefit from rolling back to the VFL for a spell, however I wouldn't be surprised if stride for stride, he ends up playing more footy, at a higher standard than Garcia. Maybe more versatile.

Haven't seen enough of either in recent weeks to really stand on my observations yet. Haven't been to the footy in person for weeks. Reliant on TV and what I hear here.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

14. Likes GVGjr, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the sentiment within the OP - Garcia should be getting at least a couple of CBAs per game. He just has good little moments with smart decisions in traffic. The kid can play. Gags is a better outside player and could be a long term wing option after hitting the 20-30 games mark.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

It's weird because I'd expect Garcia to be the better stoppage player at this stage (and Gallager only getting 12 touches last match is maybe an indication that is true) and Gallager seems more suited to the outside game at this stage while he puts on size/builds match fitness.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    It's weird because I'd expect Garcia to be the better stoppage player at this stage (and Gallager only getting 12 touches last match is maybe an indication that is true) and Gallager seems more suited to the outside game at this stage while he puts on size/builds match fitness.
    Gags was doing a negating role on Tom Green. I like Garcia and would have expected him to take some of Libba's minutes.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

18. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Garcia was bashing the door down with a sledgehammer early on in the VFL, really wanting him in earlier than when he was finally selected, his style in the middle is exactly what the side needs, and he absolutely should be given more mid time imo.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Garcia to the middle more.

I think he’s great forward of centre too. He doesn’t get much but all of his touches and kicking to advantage are high quality.

Gags is coming along well. He executed a terrific handball into the space of a running player last weekend - this is what I expect we’ll continue to see more of as he grows in confidence.