Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  29
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garcia v Gallagher

Not the be all and end all, though the stats show Garcia is more than matching output.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&fid1=S&fid2=S

The only thing I can think of is the MC feeling Gallagher is a better forward runner with the football, and wanting to develop an inside outside midfielder to compliment other midfielder characteristics.

It might also be that Garcia is actually performing his role really well and the coaches are happy with his output as a high forward. It's not an easy role to play.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes FrediKanoute liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Big fan of both but I reckon Garcia has more composure than Gags at this stage would love to see him get a crack inside agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Agree and can't understand it overly.

Think Garcia can be really impactful. Hits the contest really low and hard and has good pace. Would love for him to get more opportunities around the ball.
    This is how our fringe players are positioned in AFL.

Played out of position in AFL than VFL.

You wonder how they get to hone their craft ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Not the be all and end all, though the stats show Garcia is more than matching output.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&fid1=S&fid2=S

The only thing I can think of is the MC feeling Gallagher is a better forward runner with the football, and wanting to develop an inside outside midfielder to compliment other midfielder characteristics.

It might also be that Garcia is actually performing his role really well and the coaches are happy with his output as a high forward. It's not an easy role to play.
    Which I guess is the point of the thread.

Gallagher is being played in positions where he is able to have a bigger impact and still Garcia is shading him.

Understand Garcia is playing the role he is quite well, but feel he's being under-utilized which might be to our detriment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Which I guess is the point of the thread.

Gallagher is being played in positions where he is able to have a bigger impact and still Garcia is shading him.

Understand Garcia is playing the role he is quite well, but feel he's being under-utilized which might be to our detriment.
    The team dynamic worked well against GWS with both playing their role.

I really liked using Gallagher to curb Tom Green. We haven't done enough of that.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Is it coming down to simply athletic profile? To my poorly trained eye Gallagher looks more of an athlete and covers the ground better.

Is Gallagher playing the Bailey Smith role? High half forward, winger role with stints in the middle.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Is it coming down to simply athletic profile? To my poorly trained eye Gallagher looks more of an athlete and covers the ground better.

Is Gallagher playing the Bailey Smith role? High half forward, winger role with stints in the middle.
    Looks like he is playing the Smith role, although Smith needs more time in the middle.

Will Gallagher go to Heeney Tomorrow?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Looks like he is playing the Smith role, although Smith needs more time in the middle.

If he's going to play a negating role I'd suggest Warner would be a better matchup for him. Heeney's strength might be too much, and can impact the game forward to break a tag similar to Bont.

To the OP, 100% Garcia should be given more midfield time, and Gallagher is lucky to be given an opportunity in the senior team let alone at centre bounces. Can only think that the coaches rate Gags' two way running, something that is difficult for all of us to assess without the GPS data and behind the play cameras that the coaches access in review.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

10. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    If he's going to play a negating role I'd suggest Warner would be a better matchup for him. Heeney's strength might be too much, and can impact the game forward to break a tag similar to Bont.

To the OP, 100% Garcia should be given more midfield time, and Gallagher is lucky to be given an opportunity in the senior team let alone at centre bounces. Can only think that the coaches rate Gags' two way running, something that is difficult for all of us to assess without the GPS data and behind the play cameras that the coaches access in review.
    That's a huge difference in how we watch the games on TV or at the ground in most cases, versus how the coaching teams review them.

Some coaches feel it's pointless reviewing the game without the end to end view.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Bevo mentioned Bont and Richards having the size and aerial ability to negate Heeney when he drifts forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Bevo mentioned Bont and Richards having the size and aerial ability to negate Heeney when he drifts forward.
    Hopefully we can stop him
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thoughts Mantis

It seems to me that the reason Garcia has looked so good in the games is because of all his midfield experience at the state level - he's a good decision maker, and more than almost anyone reads the ball off hands, and naturally gets to the fall of the ball

Id like to see him get some more rotations and chances.

15. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would love to see Garcia be given a licence to play on (and off) Gulden.

Agree with the OP. Also a big fan of Garcia and I've been impressed with his maturity this season with ball in hand. Much more composed, willing to draw an opposition player to create overlap, able to hold onto the ball a split second longer to make the better decision etc.

I'd hate to lose him.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

My guess would be that old flexiblity mantra is why they seem to favour Gags. He has the ability to play wing and mid to a decent level, Where Garcia is more a pure Mid playing out of position.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

Gag's kicking has better penetration. Garcia's tend to be up and under loopers.

19. Likes MrMahatma liked this post