Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  138
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Open Season on Aaron Naughton??

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    As a good player, Naughton is going to be pretty likely to play good football in a number of positions.

I do enjoy that he is getting up the ground, because I don't think him being more anchored to the forward 50 is great for us when he gets a quality opponent.

Naughton putting up good stats is great. But we're 5-5 and 11th on the ladder, with a greater likelihood of missing finals than making it. So with that in mind, the debate of Naughton back/forward is far from conclusive or concluded and we still have to answer the biggest list management question hanging over our heads: "What the hell do we do when Jones and Keath retire in the near future?".
    Busslinger for one and maybe recruit or draft another . We also have Cordy who should be ok to go in two years .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Busslinger for one and maybe recruit or draft another . We also have Cordy who should be ok to go in two years .
    Busslinger has currently not played a senior game. I'm happy we've drafted him and hope we develop him well - but we're talking about maybe 12-24 months from now needing to be capable of playing on Curnow, Cameron, Daniher, King brothers or similar.

I'm not sure who Cordy is. Perhaps you're thinking Croft. Who they are developing right now as a forward. Presumably so he can join Naughton, Darcy, Ugle Hagan - and be our 4th giant in the forward line.

My point is that we are not demonstrating any urgency about the fact that Jones is 33, Keath is 32 and there is a big gulf to Busslinger (and Croft if they change where he's going to play).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Busslinger has currently not played a senior game. I'm happy we've drafted him and hope we develop him well - but we're talking about maybe 12-24 months from now needing to be capable of playing on Curnow, Cameron, Daniher, King brothers or similar.

I'm not sure who Cordy is. Perhaps you're thinking Croft. Who they are developing right now as a forward. Presumably so he can join Naughton, Darcy, Ugle Hagan - and be our 4th giant in the forward line.

My point is that we are not demonstrating any urgency about the fact that Jones is 33, Keath is 32 and there is a big gulf to Busslinger (and Croft if they change where he's going to play).
    The problem is and Aaron has said so himself, is that he's an interceptor and not a lock down key defender, last years Premiers use Frampton, probably cheap as chips and will be lucky to get on the stats sheet each week but does a job, so surely it can't be too hard to find that player to essentially tag the oppo's best forward, the other issue would be, who replaces Aaron's presence up forward? he's a freak and still young but has already taken the most contested marks as a forward in the clubs history, to me he really is the perfect centre half forward, and that is extremely valuable for team structure..

4. Likes Bullies, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We also have Cordy who should be ok to go in two years .
    If Ayce still isn't ready at 33 I don't think waiting until he's 35 is going to help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    If Ayce still isn't ready at 33 I don't think waiting until he's 35 is going to help.
    I keep doing that lol Croft
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    The problem is and Aaron has said so himself, is that he's an interceptor and not a lock down key defender, last years Premiers use Frampton, probably cheap as chips and will be lucky to get on the stats sheet each week but does a job, so surely it can't be too hard to find that player to essentially tag the oppo's best forward, the other issue would be, who replaces Aaron's presence up forward? he's a freak and still young but has already taken the most contested marks as a forward in the clubs history, to me he really is the perfect centre half forward, and that is extremely valuable for team structure..
    He has a great tank and his ability to lead up the wings and follow it up deep in attack is pretty unique. Reminds of Jeremy Cameron - though in his early days he was primarily a FF whereas these days he is a roaming CHF. Sets the benchmark but Naughton will be better.

lol your reference to Frampton. Thought you meant Peter Frampton - that is who Naughts reminds me of. Some if you young ‘uns won’t know who Peter Frampton is but check out his younger photos. Very much a similarity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    He has a great tank and his ability to lead up the wings and follow it up deep in attack is pretty unique. Reminds of Jeremy Cameron - though in his early days he was primarily a FF whereas these days he is a roaming CHF. Sets the benchmark but Naughton will be better.

lol your reference to Frampton. Thought you meant Peter Frampton - that is who Naughts reminds me of. Some if you young ‘uns won’t know who Peter Frampton is but check out his younger photos. Very much a similarity.
    Yeah you could almost see Naughts with his buttons undone and chest hanging out belting out Show Me The Way with the blonde locks waving in the wind, very much a 3XY classic back in the day.

Post Thanks / Like

With a touch of Roger Daltry from Tommy thrown in. My Aqua teacher noted the likeness this morning!!

10. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    Yeah you could almost see Naughts with his buttons undone and chest hanging out belting out Show Me The Way with the blonde locks waving in the wind, very much a 3XY classic back in the day.
    Hmmm. I know I started this thread in defence of Naughts but when he continually tucks his hair behind his ear with his right hand before taking a set shot like some kind of nervous twitch it is so...

If the headband isn't doing the job for which it is has been procured, for goodness sakes give Vitas Gerulaitis a call and find out what steps need to be taken.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

12. Likes bornadog, mighty_west liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Thought you meant Peter Frampton - that is who Naughts reminds me of. Some if you young ?uns won?t know who Peter Frampton is but check out his younger photos. Very much a similarity.

Naughts has the ultimate musical doppelganger - Paul Gray from Wa Wa Nee. He is such a dead ringer he should run onto the ground every week playing a keytar.

As an aside, there is a glaring need for the keytar/slap bass combo to be revitalised in music today.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

14. Likes whythelongface, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    With a touch of Roger Daltry from Tommy thrown in. My Aqua teacher noted the likeness this morning!!
    Your what now?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Agree. Croft is a smart footballer who once he puts on a bit of muscle they will fast track him as a key defender. They think he will develop quickly. Buss is nearly there with his defense.

17. Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Your what now?
    Well obviously it's a zen master teacher of the collective philosophies and compositions from Danish super-group from the late 90's Aqua..... shape up man.

19. Thanks Axe Man thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

Naughts has the ultimate musical doppelganger - Paul Gray from Wa Wa Nee. He is such a dead ringer he should run onto the ground every week playing a keytar.

As an aside, there is a glaring need for the keytar/slap bass combo to be revitalised in music today.
    Oh wow. I think we have a winner. I sort of vaguely remember this band from the ‘80s. Not that I care to remember them. But well spotted. Very striking similarity.

Post Thanks / Like

Is this Ed and Naughty?

Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

22. Thanks angelopetraglia thanked for this post