Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  28
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do you do with a problem like Caleb?

Strap him onto Vandermeer's shoulders and watch them win a Brownlow.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

IDK what we do with Daniel. I get moving him around is unsettling but maybe Bevo is being protective of him when saying it's for the needs of the team. I think it's also at least partially due to hiding him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He is selected in the backline where he belongs
    We're already playing one backman too many though. Can we still play Bramble & JJ in the same team, when they are similar players?

Caleb's real one-wood is his ability & vision to pull off kicks in heavy traffic. The problem is our whole gameplan seems to have shifted away from having any traffic at all, it's all about getting speed on the ball and giving our tall forwards a run at it (hence Naughton and Marra being separated too).
    That's the nub: if we need Caleb, our gameplan has failed.

Daniel is a mid-rotation as we don't have other roles for him and with Sanders getting first crack and Macrae barely hanging onto a spot, Daniel seems to be in that 22-25 bracket of players. He could play a HHF role as well as he does cover a lot of ground, but right now we've got VDM as 'the fast/selfless one', Weightman as 'the medium do it all' and West as the 'small/tough' one.
    We probably carry a mid/forward in our outside mid rotations but Gags and Baker are the first selected in that spot at the moment and if we go back to our "too many defenders" problem that means Williams gets pushed into this spot as well.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

4. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be playing him at the sixth forward. If we are going to insist on rolling one up to the stoppage, we may as well make it someone who can kick. Definitively needs some time at Footscray though, he was the obvious choice to get subbed out against Geelong.

6. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He can stay. Jack can go.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

So he didn't really have amazing form at Footscray and came back as a sub, then into the team kind of as default given the 5 day break. Hasn't really shown much at AFL level, not really sure what his role is. What're we doing with him? What do we do as Libba, Richards and others come back?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    So he didn't really have amazing form at Footscray and came back as a sub, then into the team kind of as default given the 5 day break. Hasn't really shown much at AFL level, not really sure what his role is. What're we doing with him? What do we do as Libba, Richards and others come back?
    At near full strength, we can only play (at most) one of he or Jack. I thought he was ok last week, but looking at his season he looks like a 24-27 type player. I still don’t understand how he’s being used and why that’s the best thing for him or the team. I suspect he will be back at Footscray soon and realistically if that happens, he probably listens to other clubs offers about a change. It’s a really confusing case study of a player for mine.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a small forward might suit but I'm struggling to find a spot. His pace isn't great so he's not going to keep it in but he could be good around the packs and you know he won't fly for the ball.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Maybe a small forward might suit but I'm struggling to find a spot. His pace isn't great so he's not going to keep it in but he could be good around the packs and you know he won't fly for the ball.
    I think he should be our small forward. Knows how to read the play and very smart around the sticks. His days further up the ground are numbered. He needs to reinvent himself.

Post Thanks / Like

He had some good moments in the 2nd half but like others I'm not 100% sure exactly where he best benefits the team.

He had one bad moment in the 1st half burning Darcy on the short and going to a long outnumber in the goal square that Collingwood easily neutralised.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

14. Thanks azabob, SquirrelGrip, bornadog, jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought he was ?ok? last night. He may well be squeezed out if we have a full roster to choose from, but logic says we won?t so he?ll be around the mark. He?s not going to be in our top 5 players but if he?s the 20th player selected each week, continues being a good team mate and is comfortable playing multiple roles he?s thrust in, there are worse options out there for sure.

I can?t quite work out why he?s fallen off so quickly (or maybe it?s just been more gradual than I?ve thought and hadn?t noticed).

16. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    What a brilliant interview.

Questions were tough and pointed.
    Answers were clear, honest and showed a incredible amount of maturity and understanding.

Simple truth? If others are playing better than me, then they SHOULD be selected ahead of me.
    Simple truth? I'm working on my CRAFT - as in, the things that will help me be more effective...

I absolutely loved it. Thanks for the share AP.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Feel like he and Jacko always present as club first and team first guys. They've been around the place for a long time and love it - I can't see them wanting to leave even if they remain fringe best 22.

19. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Feel like he and Jacko always present as club first and team first guys. They've been around the place for a long time and love it - I can't see them wanting to leave even if they remain fringe best 22.
    You need guys like that at your club.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

21. Likes EasternWest liked this post